Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 06:10 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

Usually I feel like the county that the major city is in, is a reflection or mirror of the city as well.

However, the suburbs I saw within Baltimore County seemed to be quite a bit different.

What exactly is the relationship/situation between Baltimore City and Baltimore County? Not nothing anything about distringuishing the two, are they closely tied together or completely separate entities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 06:23 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
For the most part, Baltimore City's white middle class relocated en masse to Baltimore county in the last half century. The unpopular city schools, drug crime (much of whose demand comes from suburbanites, fwiw), and double tax rate of Baltimore city is why the middle class (now all races) continues to choose suburban Baltimore.
That's got a lot to do with your border-crossing percerptions.

However, even those who are several generations removed from city living will say, when asked, that they live in Baltimore... Even if the only part of it they know is the Inner Harbor.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Usually I feel like the county that the major city is in, is a reflection or mirror of the city as well.
Probably because in 97% of instances... the City *is* a part of the county.
Only St Louis MO and Richmond VA share this exception with Baltimore.

Quote:
However, the suburbs I saw within Baltimore County seemed to be quite a bit different.
They are. With few exceptions they are the remnants of independent communities (but not quite legally towns)
that have grafted on to or been grafted onto over the decades... making some odd new entity.

Quote:
What exactly is the relationship/situation between Baltimore City and Baltimore County?
Not much. Neighboring legal jurisdictions.
If you go back far enough you'll find where they split off from one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
The origin of Baltimore County is not known; the earliest known record of the county politically is January 12, 1659, when a writ was issued to its sheriff. Previously, Baltimore County was more known as a geographical entity than a political one, with its territorial limits consisting of the present day Baltimore City, Cecil and Harford Counties, as well as parts of Carroll, Anne Arundel, Frederick, Howard and Kent Counties.

In 1674, a portion of Baltimore County, as well as a portion of Kent County, was split off to form Cecil County.
In 1748, a portion of Baltimore County, as well as a portion of Prince George's County, was split off to form Frederick County.
In 1773, Harford County was split off from Baltimore County.
In 1837, a part of Baltimore County was combined with a part of Frederick County to form Carroll County.

The separation of Baltimore County from Baltimore City occurred on July 4, 1851.
Towson was voted as the county seat on February 13, 1854.

Last edited by MrRational; 04-01-2012 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: added wiki text

Old 04-01-2012, 07:10 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
What exactly is the relationship/situation between Baltimore City and Baltimore County?
They are legally separate entities. One quirk is that Baltimore City supplies the drinking water to the County.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 PM

Well, so far, from what I'm hearing, I'm liking it!

I've been to Baltimore City in the past, and it didn't give me any 'I'd love to live here' vibe. However, many of the suburbs in Baltimore County did look quite appealing to me.

Generally I'm not a suburb person, but the Baltimore suburbs stand out as much more interesting than most suburbs you'd expect in most other American cities.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:32 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times
Quote:

I've been to Baltimore City in the past, and it didn't give me any 'I'd love to live here' vibe. However, many of the suburbs in Baltimore County did look quite appealing to me.

Generally I'm not a suburb person, but the Baltimore suburbs stand out as much more interesting than most suburbs you'd expect in most other American cities.
Depends on what part of the City you were in. There are many sections of the City particuliarly in the NE that resemble portions of the County especially up the Bel Air and Harford Road Corridors....especially the further north you go on them before they enter the County. Baltimore is a City of Neighborhoods.. and depending on what neighborhood you are in you will get a different vibe

Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauraville,_Baltimore
www.dickeyville.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington,_Baltimore
www.rolandpark.org/

Old 04-02-2012, 11:49 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I love Dickeyville. It is in the city, but you would never find it, unless you know where to look.

Tigerbeer- it is an old town like Ellicott City might have been in 1800, but it is down a side road off Windsor Mill Road in NW Baltimore.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,314 times
Quote:

I'm surprised to read a statement that the Baltimore suburbs are interesting. From my perspective, they are quite boring, with not much character. I guess it all depends on one's definition of character though, and what each of us looks for in a town. To me, a lot of "towns" in Maryland are just zip codes on a map, with no real core or definition. And even the areas with more stores/restaurants tend to have the usual chain places you'd find anywhere in the country. Of course there are exceptions (like Historic Ellicott City), but outside of its main street, it's more of the usual suburbia. It's virtually impossible to live without a car in most of the Baltimore suburbs.

Tiger Beer, what other areas of the country are you considering? Or will you definitely be moving to MD/DC/VA? What amenities do you enjoy in a town/city? I suggest checking out the sticky at the top of the Baltimore forum and reading about some of the interesting neighborhoods in the city. Some of my favorites include Locust Point, Mount Washington, and Mount Vernon.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
I'm surprised to read a statement that the Baltimore suburbs are interesting. From my perspective, they are quite boring, with not much character. I guess it all depends on one's definition of character though, and what each of us looks for in a town. To me, a lot of "towns" in Maryland are just zip codes on a map, with no real core or definition. And even the areas with more stores/restaurants tend to have the usual chain places you'd find anywhere in the country. Of course there are exceptions (like Historic Ellicott City), but outside of its main street, it's more of the usual suburbia. It's virtually impossible to live without a car in most of the Baltimore suburbs.

Tiger Beer, what other areas of the country are you considering? Or will you definitely be moving to MD/DC/VA? What amenities do you enjoy in a town/city? I suggest checking out the sticky at the top of the Baltimore forum and reading about some of the interesting neighborhoods in the city. Some of my favorites include Locust Point, Mount Washington, and Mount Vernon.
I suppose they are mostly interesting as they seem affordable compared to anywhere in the DC metro, and safer with assuming better schools than what little I know about PG county.

I also saw a bit of hills and forests and such...which is certainly more interesting than more modern suburbs in most other u.s. cities which would just clear everything. Plus much of the western Baltimore suburbs had Marc access going right into DC.

Those are probably the main interests that those particular suburbs interested me.

I also didn't find that fells point or other areas Baltimore city didn't really appeal to me,
. I'm also married with a kid, so I suppose my housing needs have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore