Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 4,471 times

Advertisements

My job involves a lot of running around during work hours and I've found that during this very LONG spring break (many school systems were granted 10 days off due to lack of snow days), the traffic...especially during business hours (not rush hour, mind you) is among the worst I've seen in 35 years living here! The city's decision to implement road/utility work on almost all major arteries certainly isn't helping...anyone tried getting around the Harbor (Light/Pratt) lately - talk about a cluster*ck!

Please tell me I'm not alone in this kvetch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 4,785 times
Default re: Traffic THE WORST during this "extended" spring break

I just saw this post and have to agree with the OP.

Having FINALLY moved out of the hellacious infrastructure that is Baltimore City "driving", I still have to commute from the 'burbs into work downtown.

The whole city is an absolute mess right now.

It is my understanding that, as the OP stated, because no snow days were used by many of the school systems (Baltimore & Carroll counties come to mind), students and teachers were given (I think) about ten days off.

I grew up in Baltimore County and attended public schools in the 90s - this never would have happened. We MAY have had an early dismissal on Good Friday but were back in our seats on "Easter Monday" (whatever that is...).

Baltimore is, to many who don't live downtown or are looking for a week/end getaway from neighboring states (mostly PA but also NJ, NY, VA, WV) a "safer", smaller destination for family activities (Aquarium, Harbor, etc.) than NYC which I think intimidates the typical Del-Mar-Va suburbanite family with the mini-van.

While the influx of these folks is great for the economy and the City, the timing for commuters and the City's decision to start road/utility work on the majority of the prominent N/S and E/W streets proved disastrous.

I too had to run to appointments during the afternoons in the last few weeks and often the commute to get from my office in Federal Hill to Canton proved to be longer than a rush hour commute home to my new condo in Reisterstown!

The other ongoing issue (and one of the reasons I left the city) is a very prominent entitlement issue with regards to drivers and pedestrians.

People in this city (haven't seen TOO much of this in my time living in other cities) have absolutely no regard for NO parking zones - even in ZipCar areas - I was returning a ZipCar a few weeks ago and the woman I politely asked to move so I could return the car gave me the finger and would not move her car!

Pedestrians are also a constant issue in this city - especially on St. Paul around Baltimore Street - they deliberately cross the street when the light changes.

As a young black professional, the typical "violator" is usually (from all outward appearances), a lower-income black individual.

They also like to park in the lane while waiting to pick up or drop off someone...

I'm just glad I finally moved out of downtown - getting around will hopefully be easier once all this seemingly very important utility and roadwork is completed.

Avoid going Light to Pratt at all costs!!!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:02 AM

9 posts, read 24,831 times
Default re: Traffic THE WORST during this "extended" spring break

Attention JFX commuters: Make plans for Monday

By Candus Thomson , The Baltimore Sun
Fri Apr 13 2012 10:51 AM
Chances are many Baltimore commuters will spend the weekend poring over maps, checking out city byways and back streets, and dreaming of something that may not exist come Monday morning's rush hour: a clear shot into downtown.

The Jones Falls Expressway as we know it will disappear this evening, with one lane closed in each direction near 29th Street by barrels and barriers, and marked with flashing signs and arrows. It may stay that way for up to two months while crews conduct emergency repairs to damaged drainage pipes and bolster the highway's underpinnings.

Taking away the two left lanes will reduce traffic flow by at least a third on Baltimore's highest-volume artery.

Making it more frustrating, drivers won't see any work for a few weeks. Construction won't begin until the contract is awarded toward the end of April. The barriers were set up as a safety precaution because of a feared sinkhole, said Frank Murphy, deputy director of the city's Department of Transportation.

There is no magic formula to navigating the congested roads ahead.

"The JFX isn't very pleasant in the first place," said Susan Walters, who lives in northern Baltimore County and works at Catholic Relief Services in the city. "People are going to be surprised."

A cool head, trial and error, and, yes, time, may salve all. But just in case, city engineers outlined nine alternate north-south routes — roads that used to carry the city's work force between the suburbs and downtown before the expressway . They even offered turn-by-turn driving instructions .

The routes, west to east, are Liberty Heights Ave., Reisterstown Road, Park Heights Ave., Charles St., York Road, Loch Raven Boulevard, Perring Parkway, Harford Road and Belair Road.

The step-by-step directions should help the thousands of people who weren't driving 25 years ago — the last time the road underwent a major construction project.

"All we're getting is calls from people who say they don't know any other way but the JFX," said Adrienne Barnes, a transportation department spokeswoman. "People are creatures of habit. They know one way and they're comfortable."

There are worries, too, that commuters may cling to their old ways, betting that enough drivers will take alternate routes to reduce the volume on the JFX, which usually handles 6,000 vehicles an hour at peak times.

"If enough people get off the JFX, there won't be a problem. If enough people don't get off, we'll have a problem," Murphy said.

City officials and AAA Mid-Atlantic are urging commuters to take the Metro subway, which runs from Owings Mills to Johns Hopkins Hospital, or the light rail, which connects Hunt Valley to downtown.

"They've got a lot of capacity," Murphy said. "They can handle whatever we dish out."

Commuters are beginning to sort through their options.

"I'm a little nervous to rely on light rail, but I'm terrified to be in that congestion because there's no doubt it's going to be a mess," Walters said. "I think I'll probably be a hybrid, using light rail when I don't have family obligations."

The Downtown Partnership has emailed a notice to 2,000 businesses and individuals, spokeswoman Megan Isennock said.

"It's been quiet so far, but I think once the barrels are in place and people see them there may be some backlash," she said.

Ragina Averella, spokeswoman for AAA, suggested commuters use this weekend to review the alternate routes, print them out and take a dry run if possible.

"I'm a firm believer in that, particularly if you're leaving the only route you know for something you don't," she said. "It can give you added confidence."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore