Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM

25 posts, read 53,228 times

Advertisements

young African-Americans from Baltimore into one category. I'm a 26 year old Baltimorean and I just get frustrated that people of other races who happen to live in the city are so darn prejudgmental. I would love to make friends with people of other cultures. From my experience, it seems like it's a crime to go to an establishment (such as a bar) that is not predominately Black. I mean hello, this isn't the 1960s!

Though I have a love/hate relationship with Baltimore, it's leaning more towards hate because of the city's racial tensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 04:34 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
I share your sentiment towards racism.

Id be willing to bet the subsequent comments here will confirm your observations about Baltimore, unfortunately.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:42 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
nah - I lived in Bolton Hill in the 1980s, my then GF (long since my wife) lived next door to a mixed (white and black) couple, college educated, "yuppie". She, and I, and I think most folks on the Hill, certainly were aware of the distinctions between folks like that and folks who lived in Upton (and some of us were aware that not all the folks who lived in Upton were alike either, but thats a different question from the one you raise).

Of course being typical Bolton Hill residents, we didn't spend much time in bars.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
There is a thread here wondering whether Maryland is north or south.

Welcome to the south. Significant areas of Maryland are very segregated. With the headquarters of the NAACP being in Baltimore, I've often wondered why they allow this.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiva View Post
young African-Americans from Baltimore into one category. I'm a 26 year old Baltimorean and I just get frustrated that people of other races who happen to live in the city are so darn prejudgmental. I would love to make friends with people of other cultures. From my experience, it seems like it's a crime to go to an establishment (such as a bar) that is not predominately Black. I mean hello, this isn't the 1960s!

Though I have a love/hate relationship with Baltimore, it's leaning more towards hate because of the city's racial tensions.
Sadly It's actions of some young African Americans in Baltimore and in other places around the country, that give people reason to Judgemental. Some people get caught in the middle. To be truthful there's not a ton of positive things associated with young African Americans in Baltimore.

It was partly the reason why I left baltimore when I turned 18. I came to the conclusion that I would have to distance myself from certain types of people so I would not be judged as part of "the problem".

When I moved into a Predominantly Non Black neighborhood in the Baltimore County, I felt the same way as you. I got "the looks" when I went certain places, until people got to know me and felt comfortable. Now when people need their dog walked, or need me to watch their kids, fix their computer they have no problem giving me their keys or leaving their door unlocked. Or people inviting me out to dinner or events.

I occasionally still get a look or two.

My advice would be watch who you hangout without, how you act, dress etc.

All In my opinion

Old 05-15-2012, 01:13 PM

187 posts, read 364,201 times
Isn't Baltimore 63.7% black? Aren't a large amount of our politicians and police officers black?

I don't see how you could possibly complain about this in Baltimore today.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:54 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,121 times
I don't lump people into categories based on their skin color. I much prefer to lump them based on how they dress and speak . (I luvvv the french accent my daughter's teacher from Niger has.)

Old 05-15-2012, 02:00 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There is a thread here wondering whether Maryland is north or south.

Welcome to the south. Significant areas of Maryland are very segregated. With the headquarters of the NAACP being in Baltimore, I've often wondered why they allow this.

Segregation now is more often than not by choice and no one is being forced to stay in or out of a community. If they are, it is more about economics that overtly race. Also, No one is burning crosses or picketing someones of a different races home in order to force them out of their community as well. Additionally, there are laws on the books that promote fair housing so being forced to segregate is thus not a political issue that would warrant the involvement of national organizations such as the NAACP. All that being said.. sure many communities are de facto segregated.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:05 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunsMass View Post
Isn't Baltimore 63.7% black? Aren't a large amount of our politicians and police officers black?

I don't see how you could possibly complain about this in Baltimore today.

The poster may have being referring to Metro Baltimore than just the City.. Even if you just focus on the City being the demographic that you mentioned...that doesnt mean that people still arent followed around in a business, made to feel uncomfortable in certain locations, or given subpar service because of their race... and I mean that across the board since anyone can discriminate against someone because of their race. Police may follow an african american around in Roland Park because that area has been predominately white and someone may have called and said there was a "suspicious" person in the neighborhod OR a police officer may pull over a car full of white kids riding through west baltimore thinking they are trying to score drugs .. the list goes on and on as we profile use sterotypes and other prejudices to categorize one another.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:32 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Segregation now is more often than not by choice and no one is being forced to stay in or out of a community. If they are, it is more about economics that overtly race. Also, No one is burning crosses or picketing someones of a different races home in order to force them out of their community as well. Additionally, there are laws on the books that promote fair housing so being forced to segregate is thus not a political issue that would warrant the involvement of national organizations such as the NAACP. All that being said.. sure many communities are de facto segregated.
In theory it works like that. The county I live in is heavily desegregated. The schools are desegregated. The NAACP is constantly here screaming that they want parity in the schools. The department of justice is involved. The school boundary lines are all over the place and kids get bused miles from their closest school in many cases. It creates a school system that is in constant flux and it takes away from the schools main reason for existing. To teach children.

I lived in Mayo, MD. Their school is virtually all white. There were more black teachers than there were black students. That would never, ever be allowed where I live now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore