Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 AM

8,248 posts, read 13,368,401 times

Advertisements

The net effect of all this is that security has increased downtown... Just yesterday I was on the Light Rail going down Howard Street during the late 7pm rush.. There were more transit cops than pedestrians on the street. There was practically one and sometimes two on each corner from Camden Yards to Cultural Center. Not sure on why they would do that during a slow holiday week.. but I am sure they had their reasons. Certainly they need to be on top of youth getting on the trains, buses and subways to come downtown especially if there is a curfew. Why a bus driver or a subway gate operator would let a teen or 'tween' on a transit service late at night unsupervised may be part of the problem.. which again requires leadership from the City to reach out to the MTA (a state agency) to make sure they are on the same page.

Its a shame that someone from the County to be the one to get this issue resolved by calling out the City leadership.

On a similiar note.. I was taking a leisurely drive through Druid Hill Park on Memorial Day and passed by the City Pool in the Park.. There were no less than 300 youth in a crowd at a quarter till three waiting to get into the pool presumably at 3pm. About 10 minutes later as I was exiting the Park.. a half a dozen police cars with lights blazing sped past me into the park heading towards the pool....

The irony here is 1) the Mayor is planning to close more pools.. right or wrong.. its obvious that they will be needed during the summer and if kids from all across the city have to congregate at 'central' pools..there could be trouble not to mention overcrowding.. which leads to more trouble

2) Why in the world would Parks and Rec not coordinate the opening of a 'central' pool with the Police so that an orderly line could have been established and thus not having a mob rush the gates which is likely why the police were dispatched to the park in the first place.

SRB should ride around and observe these things in person( if she is currently not doing so) so she can make informed decisions instead of relying on messagers and sarogates. I wonder if she showed up at the pool if any of the 300 kids would know she is their Mayor? If the answer is NO.. that should make her pause and reflect that the youth of a fairly major city are not aware of her persona......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
The situation being referred to happened a few years ago and refers to an altercation between a kid who was skateboarding at Harborplace (and was white) and a police officer. The kid may have been a smartass and deserved a good tongue lashing but the minute that cop laid hands on the kid it became assault. The cop's firing was justified.

Here's the video for those interested

Baltimore cops V.S. skateboarder - YouTube
There were and obviously still are bigger issues around the harbor then the skateboarders...

That cop was just on a power trip. I'll prefer a skateboarder practicing tricks on some steps, bothering no one, over a random gang of disrespectful, destructive thugs/gangsta's any day.
BTW I notice there are skate boarders at the harbor almost everyday now, I hope that means the BCPD got their priorities in order.

In my Opinion..

Old 05-31-2012, 01:26 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post

2) Why in the world would Parks and Rec not coordinate the opening of a 'central' pool with the Police so that an orderly line could have been established and thus not having a mob rush the gates which is likely why the police were dispatched to the park in the first place.
It's a shame that people need the police, to basically BABYSIT people at a pool now.

What ever happened to respect, honor, decency, dignity and etc?

Old 05-31-2012, 01:30 PM

569 posts, read 1,443,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
BS I didn't see anything in that video that deserved a firing. BPD needs more cops like this one. That's the only way you are going to get a handle on crime, cracking some skulls. I guess this is what passes for parenting these days being more concerned about little Johnny getting roughed up a bit for mouthing off as opposed to the mouthing off part.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here. That kid wasn't bothering anyone.

Riviera was a power tripping jerk. I actually know some city cops that told me he had some insubordination issues and wasn't liked by other cops.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,045 times
it all balance out. the only ones seems to be getting over is the ones who grow up in Most black families don't have wealth. the white boys took everything straightup! and they feeding the ghetto with drugs because they the only ones that got the ships and trucks to bring the **** into the hoods. Black people don't own ships and 18 wheelers that move'n product in. thats some WHITE BOY. HIDDEN N COUNT'N DRUG MONEY!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:15 AM

342 posts, read 912,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Suburban Baltmore delegate calls on governor to address city crime - Local News - Baltimore, MD - msnbc.com

Suburban Delegate speaks on Baltimore's crime:

I could not agree more.

One of the Baltimore City Councilmen claims in the article that the issues are overblown.
It's crazy how some of these current and former Baltimore politicians are blind to the facts, and/or are too scared to speak out for fear of hurting someones feelings.

I think state troopers may help Baltimore's crime problem, (kinda sad it would have to come to that).
Though, some people in Baltimore would need to want to help themselves also.
Instead of yelling "Oh it happens everywhere!" Cause it really does not.
Or singing "We will overcome," or "Amazing grace" on a street corner. Which is obviously not working.
Take it from someone in public safety, state troopers need to stay the hell out of Baltimore unless they are a small group of selected troopers who either policed in PG County or Baltimore City. other than that I think troopers would be a liability and in danger if unfamiliar with the city and how to deal with African Americans in a professional and respectful manner!!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
Take it from someone in public safety, state troopers need to stay the hell out of Baltimore unless they are a small group of selected troopers who either policed in PG County or Baltimore City. other than that I think troopers would be a liability and in danger if unfamiliar with the city and how to deal with African Americans in a professional and respectful manner!!
It's over now. McDonogh got his 15 minutes of national notoriety and boosted his own show's ratings for a little while. Life went on.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 AM

8,248 posts, read 13,368,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post

Do troopers even set foot in the City for any reason..except for patrolling I-95? Come to think of it.. I have never seen a trooper stop anyone on I-95 or I-83 in the City Limits.. Only BPD and I believe some "port authority" type police.....Ironically, I hear from many old school African Americans that remember the riots of the 60s where the State Police got a bad rep for being heavy handed in the City... I wonder if that was the reason that they were/are "banned" ?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Do troopers even set foot in the City for any reason..except for patrolling I-95? Come to think of it.. I have never seen a trooper stop anyone on I-95 or I-83 in the City Limits.. Only BPD and I believe some "port authority" type police.....Ironically, I hear from many old school African Americans that remember the riots of the 60s where the State Police got a bad rep for being heavy handed in the City... I wonder if that was the reason that they were/are "banned" ?
While 95 and 83 are "state roads" (along with Falls Road, York Road, rt 40, Reisterstown Road, Liberty Heights Ave, and all other numbered routes), as an independent city Balimore is charged with their maintainence and patrolling.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 AM

513 posts, read 962,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneworld25 View Post
I don't see why he felt the need to identify the race of those making up the supposed mobs. If those kids were white why would he have identified them as white? I don't think so. Furthermore, I don't even understand why he chose to address the issue. He doesn't even represent the city.
White teens do not participate in Rob Flash Mobs. Two years ago 100 black teens would terrorize the club/shopping district in Philly forcing biz to close early. The same incidents happened in NYC and Wash DC. The only to stop this is do to do curfew and send in the troopers with batons to beat down this scum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore