Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Not even close to being enough.

Here are the routes.

Bus Schedules

If you live or need to go anywhere other than that little loop between Cumberland, LaVale, Cresaptown, and Frostburg, you are SOL.
I understand that. But there's something, and it can be expanded if (when) demand increases.

Transit in rural areas will never be as convenient as a car. But that doens't mean it shouldn't exist. Dial-a-ride is a good service for those who don't live on a fixed route (available in many rural areas in the US).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
True. So would roads, which are also funded by fuel tax.

I'm all for higher gas tax to fund transit improvements. Reliance on autos may not matter where you live, but it has a very negative impact on where I do.

I also understand that Cumberland has nothing to do with any of that, and I would be open to an income tax in the metro and exurban areas to form and fund a regional transportation district, thereby sparing the western and eastern counties that would see little benefit.
That is all I need, an opt out, even if it is just a kind acknowlegable of fact from a fellow poster unaffliated with urban planning (I think )

Like I say, you guys can do what you want down there, just don't crush us with more regressive taxes by doing it.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
That is all I need, an opt out, even if it is just a kind acknowlegable of fact from a fellow poster unaffliated with urban planning (I think )

Like I say, you guys can do what you want down there, just don't crush us with more regressive taxes by doing it.
It's an interest of mine but I'm a free agent.

I'm fine with that. I'd like to see the state get out of a lot of our services here in the city, first and foremost: Transit. As MrRational explained, our status as an independent city isn't really to our advantage here.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
It's an interest of mine but I'm a free agent.

I'm fine with that. I'd like to see the state get out of a lot of our services here in the city, first and foremost: Transit. As MrRational explained, our status as an independent city isn't really to our advantage here.
I actually owe Mr. Rational an apology. I can parse out why Cumberland and Baltimore have different circumstances that lead to the same problems, but in reality, most of our problems are largely the same. Shrinking population, poverty, isolation (a relative term) and a large segement of hopeless people bent on destroying themselves on the installment plan.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
I don't want to interupt your dialog but something is bothering me with the argument.

First and foremost, I want to applaud "westsideboy" for being such an advocate for his area of Allegheny County. It truely is a beautiful area and I respect his right to defend it. By the way, there's some money up there in Cumberland. Go up Washington Street and you see it.

Here is my concern. Yes, transit is paid for by taxes. But roads of any sort are also paid for by taxes. That part isn't stressed enough. So let's use Baltimore Street in the city as an example. Let's say a mile length of Baltimore from President Street going east to Highland Avenue (probably more than a mile). How many cars are using that street in an hour's time? I'm guessing here but I would say in the 1000's. I live on Baltimore Street and can attest to a lot of traffic. Now let's compare that same length of road in rural Maryland. 1000's in an hour? I don't think so. My point? That stretch of road in rural Maryland requires the same amount of upkeep as a busy city street. Same amount of $'s-yet less used.
Subsidized by who? Taxpayers? And where do most of them live? Metro areas.

So you see, the argument about what is to be subsidized and who is to be taxed is a very difficult debate.

For the betterment of the state as a whole, more public transit is a necessity. And interestingly enough, there should be better transit option in the Cumberland area. Lavale should be connected for those who want to shed the car mentality.

Just my two cents. Sorry for the interuption.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:35 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Why not jump on 695 and take that all the way down to 295 or 95. That's what I've always done.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:04 PM

24 posts, read 54,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Finally someone who agrees with me. In the 70s, 83, 70, and 95 were all supposed to come together in downtown Baltimore. But the liberal radical community organizer, now corrupt politician Barbara Mikulski led "freeway revolts" to save the inner city neighborhoods which are basically destroyed by crime and drugs anyway.I imagine Mikulski was a lot like the young rabble rousing Obama in her younger days. It would be much better if 83 connected to 95, especially if you are trying to drive from DC to Towson. And especially with I-70 not going downtown like it was planned, it would make the commute from Howard County to downtown so much easier. We have a terrible freeway network. And also whats with the SINGLE LANE ramps from 95 to 695, from 95 to 395, from 70 to 695. There is ONE LANE from 95 southbound going to 695 east to Essex. ONE LANE from 95 south to 395. ONE LANE from 95 north to 695 west toward Towson. In Houston or Dallas or even Charlotte or Nashville it would be at least 2 lanes in these instances!!!

This is what we get when we have people like Mikulski and Pelosi here in Maryland.
So let me get this straight..

You would put highways over the areas that are actually really nice in Baltimore? Inner harbor, harbor east, fells point?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:03 AM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,380 times
Quote:
Finally someone who agrees with me. In the 70s, 83, 70, and 95 were all supposed to come together in downtown Baltimore. But the liberal radical community organizer, now corrupt politician Barbara Mikulski led "freeway revolts" to save the inner city neighborhoods which are basically destroyed by crime and drugs anyway.I imagine Mikulski was a lot like the young rabble rousing Obama in her younger days.
It was proposed at the time to run an elevated freeway over Thames Street at the foot of Broadway. I saw the plans. My-girlfriend-at-the-time's mother owned a Spanish Restaurant on South Broadway 1/2 block north of Thames.

Are you familiar with the Embarcadero Skyway along San Francisco's waterfront? No? I thought not. Baltimore's elevated expressway would have been its notorious twin and rival in the annals of destructive urban development.

(The half-built and functioning but never completed Embarcadero freeway was torn down in the early 1990's.)

Quote:
This is what we get when we have people like Mikulski and Pelosi here in Maryland.
The city should construct a statue of Senator Milkuski outside an entrance to the Broadway Market in appreciation of her efforts to preserve Fells Point.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
The city should construct a statue of Senator Milkuski outside an entrance to the Broadway Market in appreciation of her efforts to preserve Fells Point.
In Leakin Park as well.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I don't want to interupt your dialog but something is bothering me with the argument.

First and foremost, I want to applaud "westsideboy" for being such an advocate for his area of Allegheny County. It truely is a beautiful area and I respect his right to defend it. By the way, there's some money up there in Cumberland. Go up Washington Street and you see it.

Here is my concern. Yes, transit is paid for by taxes. But roads of any sort are also paid for by taxes. That part isn't stressed enough. So let's use Baltimore Street in the city as an example. Let's say a mile length of Baltimore from President Street going east to Highland Avenue (probably more than a mile). How many cars are using that street in an hour's time? I'm guessing here but I would say in the 1000's. I live on Baltimore Street and can attest to a lot of traffic. Now let's compare that same length of road in rural Maryland. 1000's in an hour? I don't think so. My point? That stretch of road in rural Maryland requires the same amount of upkeep as a busy city street. Same amount of $'s-yet less used.
Subsidized by who? Taxpayers? And where do most of them live? Metro areas.

So you see, the argument about what is to be subsidized and who is to be taxed is a very difficult debate.

For the betterment of the state as a whole, more public transit is a necessity. And interestingly enough, there should be better transit option in the Cumberland area. Lavale should be connected for those who want to shed the car mentality.

Just my two cents. Sorry for the interuption.
No interuption, just a continuation of the debate. Yes, there is some money on Washington St., the Dingle and up on Haystack Mountain. But understand that while Washington St. looks wonderful, up to the 300 block are commercial properities, and many of the biggest mansions are now divided up into multiple apartments, nice ones, but rentals none the less. Also we just mentioned about a half dozen streets in towns in a city of 20,000.

I assure you the wealth is well concentrated in a few small areas. The newest trend for the wealthy in our area is to live at Lakewood in......WV, about 10 minutes from Cumberland. Cheaper taxes, lower cost of construction, less onerous zoning and regulatory processes. This development keeps growing in an area that is shrinking.

Also, wear on a street is directly linked to its use. More traffic, more maintenance needed, in theory more money spent to keep the road in good shape (although I have seen the streets in Baltimore...they remind me of Cumberland, better have some good shocks.)

When you get into the rural parts of Allegany County, you are talking about tar and chip or dirt roads with few lines or shoulders except for a handful of "arteries" that are asphalt. These lower quality roads are cheaper to maintain and a large % of all road mileage in the county.

Lastly, a portion of the gas tax is supposed to be kick-backed to the smaller juristictions to maintain their roads, I believe proportionally to what the juristictions pay in (you may want to double check me on that.) Gas tax = Road money. Makes perfect sense, those that use the road system are paying for its upkeep. Similar to taxing mass transit to pay for mass transit...but we know that won't work because people are speaking with their behaviors and choosing cars over trains and buses.

Last edited by westsideboy; 08-23-2012 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore