Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 PM

14 posts, read 60,552 times

Advertisements

Hi all I need some help.
We are super sad that we are leaving are hidden little nitch in ATL. But my husband is been given an amazing oppurtunity. He will be working at the Univ. Of Maryland Hospital.
We have 3 kids. 8,6,4. and 2 large dogs. We are a very busy active family.
Although we will finish our school year out here my main priority is getting the kids into a great school and neighborhood. I have researched a lot and appears HC schools are a good fit. We would like a little bit of green space to (that's hard to find in ATL) and newer home if possible. 5 Bedroom home with basement
I was looking at Ellicot city/columbia and was trying to find some f/back. Or is there some other hidden gem of a city that's not a horrible commute and has great schools.

Here are some other questions:
Commute to Univ Maryland Hospital from Ellicot? Columbia too far? (traffic in Atl is bad but we avoided that issue so would like to avoid it again!!)
Schools (Elementary and what are the feeder schools) Worthington, Northfield? Gifted programs (discovery)
Neighborhoods, (parks close by, sidewalks, diverse). We are an interacial and interfaith family.
Sports (Great baseball & softball leagues, somewhat competitive or at least has that option) HCYP over WHC or just depend on where you live.
Soccer leagues? Recreational. We play at our local Y here which is very nice.
Dance companies/studios. My daughter dances 3 days a week and we would like to continue with that.
Dog friendly areas (dog parks, unleashed etc)

Summer camps that are highly recommended. Perhaps allowing my kids to meet friends before they start the school year.

And are there any discusion mom/parents groups to join. I like to be very involved in the kids school and activities and connect with people through forums etc.

I also teach zumba and fitness HipHop to kids and adults and would love to be able to continue that here.

Most of all what I am going to miss here is the small elementary school feel and neighborhood connections. Most people in the area are permanent fixtures and we run into each other from school events or sporting or community events. There is a true sense of community. I strive to find that again.

I appreciate any thoughts/advice. This is going to be the toughest move ever!

Kindly
Marcie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 AM

1,757 posts, read 5,139,858 times
Columbia/ Ellicott City would be a good bet. Same with Annapolis, Arnold, Severna Park and a couple others. What kind of budget are you looking at?

Old 09-07-2012, 06:57 AM

53 posts, read 89,525 times
you'll love it here! we have crabs!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 AM

764 posts, read 1,657,744 times
I would strongly suggest you look in the Worthington, Ilchester neighborhoods. There's a great development literally across the street from the Patapsco state park and there are lots of homes that back up to a series of forest preserves throughout the area. There's all kinds of new development going in off of College Ave and Landing Road. Rockburn park (and elementary school) is also worth investigating.

"Sports (Great baseball & softball leagues, somewhat competitive or at least has that option) HCYP over WHC or just depend on where you live." We lived in the Worthington ES area and neighbors did HCYP and EYO (Elkridge Youth Organ.)

"Soccer leagues? Recreational. We play at our local Y here which is very nice." HCYP has a good recreation program. SAC (Soccer Association of Columbia) is the "academy/travel" club in the area (there are a few others). It also has a good recreation division if you don't want the 'seriousness' of an academy/select team. EYO is great for recreation soccer in elementary school as well.

"Dance companies/studios." We love Dance Connections and Jennifer Aversa. We were very happy when she moved into the Worthington neighborhood Welcome to Dance Connections. (A 5 minute driving instead of 15 min is always nice.)

"Dog friendly areas (dog parks, unleashed etc)." Once again, there's a nice area near the Worthington ES, the Worthington Dog Park. However, Patapsco SP is a great place to go for a hike with your dog - you just need to be aware of the mountain bikers as it's a great place to do that as well. And occasionally there are a few horses, trail runners, etc.

Summer Camps - in February/March the lists come out. I LOVE the HoCo Parks and Rec department and their summer camps. We've done nature camp, sports camps, chess camp, art camp. The Howard county nature conservancy also has summer camps and the YMCA in ellicott city is new and crowded, but it has camps (very reasonably priced) as well.

A few things to note: HCPSS does not follow a traditional path - all kids from ES go to the same MS go to the same HS. Each level has it's own attendence area. For example:

Lime Kiln MS
Clemens Crossing ES 34 5.5%
Dayton Oaks ES 179 29.2%
Fulton ES 139 22.6%
Pointers Run ES 261 42.5%
613 100%

(from http://www.hcpss.org/boundarylines/boe3plan_111511.pdf)

We were very happy with Worthington ES and Ellicott Mills MS (which feeds into Mt. Hebron). Our "10" elementary school in EC is above and beyond the "10" elementary school we have now in Dallas. You can't put a ranking on class field trips, parent involvement, the presence of paraeducators, and the fun days (like Turkey Trot, Halloween parades, Winter Shows, Students v Teacher baseball, etc.) [They don't do field trips where we are now until the 4th grade. I had a great time on my 1st grader's field trip to the Air & Space Museum in DC. She might have learned something perhaps.]

It's also nice that the county provides not just the "meets" requirement for the schools but also the adv. if you really want to dig into the particulars:

http://www.hcpss.org/academics/msa_2011boe.pdf

However, if you're thinking GT programs, a friend at the district told me. Remember, they get one GT teacher for every 20 (at the time, it may be different) students. Do you want your child to be 1 of 40 (with 2 teachers) or 1 of 12?

We felt the size of the school maters - four 3rd grade classes instead of 8 for example because we wanted the school to feel like a neighborhood where you would at least recognize everyone.

http://www.hcpss.org/schools/enroll_jan2012.pdf

Also, it's not just the schools that make HC great. You're 30 min to the downtown Baltimore and 45 min to DC. The library system is remarkable. The county hospital has a pediatric unit (yes, you're child doesn't need to go in with the adults when she bashes her leg and needs stitches.) The parks and recreation department is excellent - the parks and all the trails, the classes, the summer camps for kids. Shopping is pretty good. (They're putting in a Wegmans grocery store if you're a foodie.)

We lived in Roswell GA for 3 years and moving to Ellicott City was a great. I didn't feel like we lost anything, but gained so much. Spending a Saturday in March in DC and taking the metro and visiting the museums is great for kids. The Imagination Stage in Bethesda is terrific and there are great kid shows at the Kennedy Center. Closer to 'home' you've got the Onley theater Olney Theatre Center - Home and others. From EC, you can be in "the mountains" near Frederick for camping in 90 minutes (not as mountainous as north GA, but still very nice.)

Good Luck!

Old 09-07-2012, 09:33 PM

Default Ellicot City and surrounding area

Thank you so much for the information!
We live in the Brookhaven/Buckhead area in ATL. And found a little niche school of 450 kids. And we absolutely love that small n/hood feel even though we are in a big city.
We actually just voted and Brookhaven will become an official city as of Dec 17th.

My perks of MD so far:
Nearby DC; I love a city where you don't have to travel to far to get "lost" in nature;
My brother lives in VA so I would be a lot closer too.

That's good to know about dance. I drive from Brookhaven to alpharetta (20mi) 1xwk for her to be part of a Hip Hop Performing arts company. So 5 or 15 min is heaven!!
are there Any other dance places you know of that offer hip/hop, lyrical, acro or contemporary.

I am not a big fan of the constant redistricting that I keep reading about. I know everywhere one goes redistricting occurs but the frequency seems a little unnerving. I couldnt agree more about parent involvement and school culture. That in itself can really make a great school the greatest!

Is the worthington n/hood affiliated with worthington ES school.
Also is it hard to get newer construction there for under 800K with a finished basements 5BR.
Lastly We dont' want his commute to UofM to be too far either.

Are the n/hoods diverse in style, economics and people. Or Cookie cutter blocks where everything looks the same? HOw about lot sizes?
ATL intown living is usually a small piece of grass you can call your own. Do you find that to be true in Ellicot city.
I love that here that nothing is the same and it is very diverse. However in saying that there are few unkept homes/yards regardless of the size that can make a n/hood not look nice and I wouldn't be sad for those to go. We have cute bungalows at 1800 sq ft next to a 5000sq ft brick, southern porch style home with old specimen trees.
How about sidewalks? One thing atlanta lacks alot is s/walks. It would be nice not to have to take the kids bike somewhere, ride and pack up.

Lastly someone mentioned River Hills? Is that a good area??

all and any feedback is truly appreciated.

I truly appreciate any/all your feedback.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:48 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,151,004 times
River Hill is a good area.

Columbia has much better sidewalks than Ellicott City. Columbia also has an extensive trails network.

All of the elementary schools are in the process of redistricting; the plan will be voted on in November. The eastern schools are more affected. However, depending on the polygon you pick you might not even be in play all. There is lots of info on the hcpss.org site.

Columbia/EC are pretty fully developed and it is hard to find new construction. Most people buy older construction with recent updates (or budget for updates). If you are willing to look at that then it is much easier to get some green space; houses in my neighborhood have 1/2 acre but are built in the 60s or a second wave of development in the 80s.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:58 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,911 times
If you are from Buckhead and you like being in a city you may want to consider the Roland Park area of Baltimore, or Towson which is right over the city line. Both have a lot of great old architecture and are close to original stores and restaurants. Roland Park has a good Elementary/Middle, and Towson has good schools throughout. Both are very safe. Columbia is incredibly suburban, so if that's not something you are looking for and you may want something a little older and more urban.... def check out North Baltimore and Towson.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:16 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,744 times
Thank you so much for the information!
We live in the Brookhaven/Buckhead area in ATL. And found a little niche school of 450 kids. And we absolutely love that small n/hood feel even though we are in a big city.
We actually just voted and Brookhaven will become an official city as of Dec 17th.

Hmmm...Howard County is going to be like living in Roswell, Alpharetta, North Fulton County (or is it Milton County now). If you loved living ITP not sure you'll like living OTP (the equivalent of HoCo). Think older homes of Roswell mixed with newer John's Creek/Alpharetta homes, but the shopping isn't as good. Downtown EC is "kinda" like downtown Roswell - cute, wine bars/shops, EXCELLENT independent toy store, barkery, antiques, etc.

My perks of MD so far:
Nearby DC; I love a city where you don't have to travel to far to get "lost" in nature;My brother lives in VA so I would be a lot closer too.

That's good to know about dance. I drive from Brookhaven to alpharetta (20mi) 1xwk for her to be part of a Hip Hop Performing arts company. So 5 or 15 min is heaven!!
are there Any other dance places you know of that offer hip/hop, lyrical, acro or contemporary.

I can't recommend anything, but there are lots of dance studios in HoCo.

I am not a big fan of the constant redistricting that I keep reading about. I know everywhere one goes redistricting occurs but the frequency seems a little unnerving. I couldnt agree more about parent involvement and school culture. That in itself can really make a great school the greatest!

HCPSS doesn't like 'overcrowded' or 'under-utilized' schools which is why redistricting happens. They redistricted at each level every 3-5 years (or less) and mostly in the areas of high growth. They built schools in western HoCo years ago and the kids just never came - some are at 60% capacity. Whereas, the northeastern part has been really growing and they've got a new ES in 2013 and a new MS for 2015. When they put in the new schools, there's a little shuffling. The kids from Wothington would be going to Ilchester, a longer drive, but the quality of the 2 schools is nearly the same. (Some would argue Ichester is a better school, but it's farther away. But since the area goes to high school up at Mt. Hebron one gets use to driving long distances). Both schools have very active PTAs and parental involvement.
http://www.hcpss.org/schools/profile...ington1112.pdf
http://www.hcpss.org/schools/profile...hester1112.pdf

Is the worthington n/hood affiliated with worthington ES school. For the most part, yes. Worthington will be affected by the redistricting, but mostly the older homes east of the school. The newer "Taylor Village" development will stay at Worthington. I'm not sure where the new development off of College Road will end up - either Veterans ES or Worthington.
Also is it hard to get newer construction there for under 800K with a finished basements 5BR. It depends on how big of a yard you want. If postage stamp is fine, than you can get new for under $400k. If you want closer to 1/2 acre, then a "newer" home is closer to $700k (I'm not sure how big the lots are off of College Ave).
Lastly We dont' want his commute to UofM to be too far either.

Are the n/hoods diverse in style, economics and people. Or Cookie cutter blocks where everything looks the same? HOw about lot sizes? Taylor Village is cookie cutter homes, but very diverse people - Europeans, Cubans, Japanesse, Chinesse, Korean, AA, Hispanic, Indian, and folks from West Virginia and Maryland. Worthington ES is both socio and economically diverse (older 70s, 80s, 90s homes). (OK, there are no rental units at Worthington ES, so I guess it's not THAT economically diverse since everyone either lives in a house or is renting the house).
ATL intown living is usually a small piece of grass you can call your own. Do you find that to be true in Ellicot city. If you want that, you can find it. If you want 1/2 acre, you can find that too - but you might have to compromise on the house (i.e., 2002 instead of a 2012 or you find your own lot and build). There are larger lots out west if you want an acre. $800k will get you some room if you want that. If you don't mind an older updated home, they are easier to find with a nice sized lot.
I love that here that nothing is the same and it is very diverse. However in saying that there are few unkept homes/yards regardless of the size that can make a n/hood not look nice and I wouldn't be sad for those to go. We have cute bungalows at 1800 sq ft next to a 5000sq ft brick, southern porch style home with old specimen trees. If you drive from Montgomory Road (Rt108) to Worthington ES (take Worthington Way) and you'll think - Are there really new houses back here? And then when you're driven around you'll notice little pockets of 1990s homes, 1960s cape cods, 1980s split levels.
How about sidewalks? One thing atlanta lacks alot is s/walks. It would be nice not to have to take the kids bike somewhere, ride and pack up. The thing that's going to kill you is the hills, not the sidewalks. Lots of sidewalks, but the rolling landscape in some areas is tough for the little ones. Lots of neighborhood sidewalks/trails (particularly in Columbia). My husband can ride from the neighborhood to Patapsco State Park to go mountain biking, but it's a tough ride just to get to the park (very hilly).

Lastly someone mentioned River Hills? Is that a good area?? Yes - River Hill is a great area - newer, more coookie-cutter, great HS, close to Clarksville - great grocery store. You might find some space out there, but it is going to make the drive to Baltimore longer. The schools there are not being redistricted as much because the facilities are newer and there hasn't been an overcrowding issue (I would definately check the HCPSS on this). I know they moved around the High School a few years back. We looked in the area, but wanted to be closer to hubby's office in Hanover and I wanted a smaller elementary school.

all and any feedback is truly appreciated.

I truly appreciate any/all your feedback.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 PM

I love your wealth of knowledge and insight. I am so nervous and not sure i want this move but I am trying to be open. so again i really thank you.
It helps so much to get some kind of idea what to expect before I get up there to see.

We have always lived in suburbia until we moved to atl 4 years ago. So this intown living is new. ALthough our area is as a close to "suburbia" you can find ITP.

We are not opposed to going back to suburbia. I do love our current n/hood and the massive trees that surround us. But honestly most of our stuff or activities take us to chamblee, dunwoody, sandy springs and alpharetta. Sidewalks are a big bonus with kids. We hardly ever go downtown. He works at emory so b/c of traffic and commuting we had to find something ITP. We have friends that live in the Guildford area of Baltimore (historic 1950's home etc) but that is not our kind of living. I think I would prefer EC.

Hills really? Ahh thought ATl was bad.... my husband was looking forward to flat running....hmmm guess not.
How do you think the overall cost of living compares? Homes eg in my hood that are newer 2009 (all HW floors 4/5 bedrooms 4000+sqft, .25-.30 are 680-880+. Just depends on the all the extra finishings. From what I can see online prices are 150/200K++ in EC for the equivalent type of home.
Are the areas you mentioned part of HOA's? Or is that not common there.

I think we would be spoiled with a 1/2 acre or anything more. I wouldn't complain

We will be up in 2wks to get the lay of the land. Look at homes and some schools.
He will be working at the Univ of Maryland Hospital and we hope the commute to work from EC or columbia wouldnt be too bad???
Do You know of any great realtors that specialize in EC or Columbia?
Any other great tidbits you can give us before we head up?

Is there any other suburbia-ish area you would recommend that has great schools and the commute would not be killer other then EC or Columbia? Or is HoCo the place to be?

Most of all I want a safe n/hood, great schools, friendly, active community and we love a small elem school!!
the kind of the feeling where " everybodys knows your name" (similar to Cheers theme song haha
My kids are not wanting this move and I was hoping if we moved into an area they wouldnt have to change schools in a year or 2.

thanks so much
M

Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,300 times
EC or Columbia are good if you want a long commute and neighborhood after neighborhood of tacky new developments. If you would like a scenic, lush landscape, safe area, excellent schools, plenty of character (charming historic architecture is common), and well-rounded people, look no further than the Baltimore suburbs in the York Road/I83 Corridor. Also very convenient access to any of your retail needs.

Last edited by Terrapin Station; 09-11-2012 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore