Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,277 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will soon be moving to Baltimore and working near the Univ Of Maryland area. I am coming from New York and saw some properties along Fayette and Lexington streets and the listing showed another in a community called "Poppleton". From the listing, looks like safe areas with decent upkeep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 08:49 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Ahhhh..Not!!! Sorry..

I hope you have a car since you coming from the city? Mass transit in Baltimore is a mule and buggy ride compared to NYC transit system.

**Notice I said "mule and buggy" and not a horse!!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM

206 posts, read 472,842 times
(Apologies for our other poster ...)

You probably want to avoid Poppleton - it's both the site of a former public housing complex that was torn down and redeveloped for the better (Lexington Terrace) and an ongoing acquisition/redevelopment project that hasn't moved along much. Basically the area had such a large stock of vacant rowhouses (and even more public housing) that the city decided to start over and get some market forces going. But it hasn't happened and may be five years or so until things on the ground start changing. Which is a bit of a shame because the UMD Biopark project along Baltimore St has some momentum.

Not to say that all parts of Poppleton are bad, but you certainly will start seeing some serious crimes pop up on Lexington and Fayette as you go further west away from MLK Blvd. The one and only listing I see on Craigslist in the area looks ok (probably is priced for Section 8) and is in the Lexington Terrace redevelopment. And there's not a single other thing nearby, and no listings even dare to say Poppleton. Tells you something right there. The rental market is almost entirely subsidized. Pretty much everyone else with UMD will be looking further south at Barre Circle, Hollins Market, and Pigtown which are all perceived as better neighborhoods.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,291 times
Poppleton is a mostly subsidized housing community just north of the UM BioPark, I would avoid. There are plenty of good options for living if you work there. Ridgely's Delight and Barre Circle are nice communities in walking distance. There is also a shuttle that takes you there from nearby Federal Hill/SoBo. There are also some nice apartments buildings right near campus like Greenhouse, Abell, and the Zenith.

Hollins Market and Pigtown are two growing communities also nearby that are in transition but pretty safe and a spot you could get a pretty nice deal.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Improvement of the area will be spurred by UMB and the Red Line station, but probably not for 15 years.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Remstone and K10 just dropped it!!

Old 05-22-2013, 10:29 AM

Ahhh...I don't know about Hollins Market area man?? A friend of mine had a nice loft across the street from the market itself. It was gated and secure, but still there was W. Baltimore Str. about 2 blocks up from him with plenty of traffic. There are a lot of junkies who hang out in that area.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 AM

There is a nice energy in Hollins Market and several new restaurants, but yes Baltimore Street is very close. The relocation of the UMD methadone clinic has also been a huge setback for the area but there has been steady real estate and business improvement and as the BioPark moves west they'll be in a great location of the future. They also move the Circulator stop from the front of the market that prevented the patients from the clinics on Pratt St from hanging out in front.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 AM

What new restaurants? Please let me know because I'd like to check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
There is a nice energy in Hollins Market and several new restaurants, but yes Baltimore Street is very close. The relocation of the UMD methadone clinic has also been a huge setback for the area but there has been steady real estate and business improvement and as the BioPark moves west they'll be in a great location of the future. They also move the Circulator stop from the front of the market that prevented the patients from the clinics on Pratt St from hanging out in front.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:21 AM

Zella's is back and under original ownership. Cockey's is now on Arlington St., CUPs coffeehouse has opened in the last 7 months or so, a Mexican place is renovating a space on Hollins right now, and a Peruvian Chicken place is supposed to open on Lombard. Carnivore BBQ also joined the Market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: