Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 7,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
I don't mean to be snide, and you will have good minds & hardworking, successful people graduating from institutions all over the city. But what matters is what happens in aggregate. And on average, Baltimore's schools are not even middle tier but lower-tier, and that can actually be pretty well read off the incoming SAT scores.

For the record:

UMBC
  • SAT Critical Reading: 550 / 650
  • SAT Math: 580 / 670
Loyola of MD

• SAT Critical Reading: 540 / 630
  • SAT Math: 540 / 630
Of course one big difference is that Loyola is an expensive private school and will have upper-class students, while UMBC is a much cheaper state school and will mostly have lower and middle class students. You'll find "success" is often dictated by class, and in business especially, connections matter.
There are plenty of accounting, finance and business majors from Loyola who scored well above the averages that you cite on the SATs. You can argue the point all you want, but I have seen it first hand for over 20 years; the Big 4 accounting firms, consultancies and major corporations recruit Loyola business school students at a very high rate. If that foundation was simply built on wealthy connections, as you imply, it would have fallen apart years ago. It would not have been sustainable.

The following link demonstrates this:
http://www.loyola.edu/Media/News/201...i-ranking.aspx

Loyola's ROI is in the top 10% of all colleges in the U.S. for mid-career professionals.

But the point is not to argue the merits of any individual college, it is simply to point out that Baltimore, while certainly not Boston, has an educational and intellectual environment that may not be apparent to the outsider, given the negative publicity.

Last edited by dave21286; 09-15-2013 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 PM

513 posts, read 961,388 times
China to Arlington to Boston to Baltimore? My condolences.

Baltimore is dangerous as hell. With teens robbing people of their phones while they are out jogging or biking frequently, multiple shootings daily, pathetic and creepy bus system.

Why not live in the burbs and travel into bmore city?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:15 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,899,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
I don't mean to be snide, and you will have good minds & hardworking, successful people graduating from institutions all over the city. But what matters is what happens in aggregate. And on average, Baltimore's schools are not even middle tier but lower-tier, and that can actually be pretty well read off the incoming SAT scores.

For the record:

UMBC
  • SAT Critical Reading: 550 / 650
  • SAT Math: 580 / 670
Loyola of MD

• SAT Critical Reading: 540 / 630
  • SAT Math: 540 / 630
Of course one big difference is that Loyola is an expensive private school and will have upper-class students, while UMBC is a much cheaper state school and will mostly have lower and middle class students. You'll find "success" is often dictated by class, and in business especially, connections matter.
No city is going to compare to Boston and a city shouldn't be a college town anyway. But Baltimore has a nice education niche as Hopkins was just named the 12th best University in the US, only behind UPenn in the Mid-Atlantic. Their med school is obviously top notch, Maryland Law and Med School are both very hard to get into, and as mentioned the business school and MBA program at Loyola have received some high honors.

Towson has a great communications program that put tons of people at TV Stations, radio stations and production crews around the region. Baltimore is by no means an underachiever city in terms of higher education, unless you only want to compare it to Boston.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:23 AM

4 posts, read 7,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post

Baltimore is dangerous as hell. With teens robbing people of their phones while they are out jogging or biking frequently, multiple shootings daily, pathetic and creepy bus system.

It is true that Baltimore has a violence / crime issue. However, so does St. Louis, Memphis and Birmingham. Those cities, by many measures, are more violent. It is just that you don't hear about it as much. Chicago and Philadelphia are also dealing with surges in crime, and there are significant sections of Washington DC that are best avoided.

If I were a young professional, I would live in Federal Hill, Canton, Fells Point, or Locus Point. If you have a family, consider one of the northern suburbs.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:57 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,121 times
there are plenty of safe areas. If you liked Arlington, check out Harbor East.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
there are plenty of safe areas. If you liked Arlington, check out Harbor East.
Harbor East? Yeah, to see a movie! Arlington is a suburb.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:35 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave21286 View Post
It is true that Baltimore has a violence / crime issue. However, so does St. Louis, Memphis and Birmingham. Those cities, by many measures, are more violent. It is just that you don't hear about it as much. Chicago and Philadelphia are also dealing with surges in crime, and there are significant sections of Washington DC that are best avoided.

If I were a young professional, I would live in Federal Hill, Canton, Fells Point, or Locus Point. If you have a family, consider one of the northern suburbs.

You probably wouldn't have made that statement if you had spent time in, or invested in any of those communities.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,100,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanexec View Post

Or better yet, live in the suburbs and avoid traveling into Baltimore city. Get your entertainment in DC or NY.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Harbor East? Yeah, to see a movie! Arlington is a suburb.
Eh. I used to live in West Medford, right next to Arlington. It's not that much of a suburb. It's not like, say, Acton. More of a city type suburb, with houses fairy close together on city blocks with real sdewalks, and not that far removed from a more metro type area (in this case, Cambridge).

I think it's comparable to Lauraville or Hamilton or Arcadia.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:35 PM

74 posts, read 122,250 times
Default What to expect?

Expect depression and boredom. Expect your IQ to drop about 23.5 points and expect your temper to rise about 23.5 points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore