Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 8,218 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I currently live in the Patterson Park/Canton area of Baltimore. I am taking a job downtown but am looking to move the first of the year a little out of the city. We have a medium sized dog. My roommate and I were looking at Mt. Vernon but with parking and my dog we've decided to look outside of the city. Looking more to rent a house or townhome instead of apartments. We are both female's late 20's who lived in Atlanta, GA. Neither of us are extremely familiar with the area's outside of the southeast in which we have lived in. I am curious to know what area's may be good for us to find a place that is close if not right off the light rail or metro? Mt. Washington seem's like a good option but there aren't a lot of rental's on the market right now.

So what is your take on the area's that are convenient to the light rail and what kind of ETA would it take from that area to Downtown on the light rail or metro?

I have a car but am looking for an ability to just walk a couple blocks or take a cab to the light rail or metro. I am not interested in taking a bus. I have my reason's.

Thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:26 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomd84 View Post
So what is your take on the area's that are convenient to the light rail...
There is a LOT of demand for them. Expect highish to very high prices.
Find a *local* to the area source for real estate help.

Quote:
and what kind of ETA would it take from that area to Downtown on the light rail or metro?
Look at the Metro website for specific times but absent problems... its a breeze.
Of course you still need to get to/from the station (at both ends) too.

good luck.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:20 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Bolton Hill might be a great option....walk across North Ave to the light rail. Same for Reservoir Hill, but only a few streets are nice enough....cheaper than Bolton Hill.

Old 10-04-2013, 05:11 PM

6 posts, read 8,218 times
I've never checked out that area, I'll give it a look. I don't know if this pertains to all of North Ave but I've always been told to stay away from North Ave in general. Is that true? Just going off the map for the light rail, what is Woodberry and Lutherville like?

Thanks guys!

Old 10-04-2013, 08:07 PM

537 posts, read 769,135 times
Pikesville at Old Court Rd. and Reisterstown Rd. (Metro stop not far from here, apartments in walking distance)

Mt. Washington somewhere along Smith Ave. (Light rail stop at the bottom of Smith, apartments in walking distance)

Owings Mills near the new MetroCentre (Painters Mill Rd.). (Metro stop here, obviously, apartments in walking distance)

I don't know many of the city Metro or Light Rail stops since I live in Northwest Baltimore/Baltimore County. I have heard that some parts of North Ave are ok in the immediate area around MICA, that is where Bolton Hill and Station North kind of start.

Owings Mills homes and townhomes for rent, and Mt. Washington, too. Homes are likely on Falls Rd. in Mt. Washington near the Falls Road light rail station.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:53 PM

62 posts, read 103,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanhvtnymd View Post
Pikesville at Old Court Rd. and Reisterstown Rd. (Metro stop not far from here, apartments in walking distance).
This is what I was going to suggest. I lived here right after college before I had a car and I took the Metro downtown every day. Great area.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:21 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Hamdpden west of Falls Road and Woodberry are good options.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,047 times
I wish the light rail had better Sunday hours. 10-7 isn't good enough. It should be 6am to at least 11pm, especially from BWI to North Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore