Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 05:58 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat12 View Post
@ infinite_heights77, careynpratt and kodeblue

lol...(token negro)... i have a sense of humor and I see your point

and true I am the only black person at my job, but my co-workers will tell you I dont let people disrespect my race or culture

but usually when I dont mention that I have a clean record when looking for a job,housing etc.
as an african american , a lot of people ask or assume that. I was trying to get that out of the way.
I am sorry that you have to go through that. I know what it is like being the only one but I am female.

What draws you to these two states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 12,434 times
I like snow and 4 full seasons. Im sure Massachusetts and Minnesota get a good amount of snow
In my job field im outside a lot, I have some medical issues so the
heat and humidity down south is not good for me

Old 11-29-2013, 09:22 AM

225 posts, read 429,467 times
I can't comment on what it's like to be black in either city (being white), but I have spent time in both. Minneapolis is going through urban renewal which may remind you of Baltimore in some ways, though with far less urban decay to deal with. Boston did that a long time ago and is very very expensive now. So if you want more bang for your buck I would look at Minneapolis. It has good public transit though not on the scale of Boston. I saw a pretty big fraction of AA people when I was wandering around, and being a midwestern city I think you'll find attitudes to be pretty progressive. On the other hand, MA is a blue state and MN is a bit mixed up (though getting better), and is home to people like Michele Bachmann, if that matters to you (I know it would give me pause). The University is quite good, but I would ask on the Minneapolis forum about engineering jobs. Boston of course there will be plenty.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmiesix View Post
I can't comment on what it's like to be black in either city (being white), but I have spent time in both. Minneapolis is going through urban renewal which may remind you of Baltimore in some ways, though with far less urban decay to deal with. Boston did that a long time ago and is very very expensive now. So if you want more bang for your buck I would look at Minneapolis. It has good public transit though not on the scale of Boston. I saw a pretty big fraction of AA people when I was wandering around, and being a midwestern city I think you'll find attitudes to be pretty progressive. On the other hand, MA is a blue state and MN is a bit mixed up (though getting better), and is home to people like Michele Bachmann, if that matters to you (I know it would give me pause). The University is quite good, but I would ask on the Minneapolis forum about engineering jobs. Boston of course there will be plenty.
Minneapolis does have far less urban decay than Baltimore, that's for certain..

BTW, Minnesota is a Blue State, but perhaps not quite as deep a shade of blue as MA...

Old 11-30-2013, 09:33 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat12 View Post
Im 31 years old and I am looking to relocate from my hometown of Baltimore to either Boston or Minneapolis. I only been to boston once at age 8, and Ive never been to Minneapolis.

I have a decent Job in the engineering field here in Baltimore/DC area, But because of family issues I need to move on.

Many people say I have a good personality, hard-working, I can be anti-social sometimes but that is because of how I was raised.

As an African-American (who has never been in trouble with the law) I was wondering what city would be best for me to get a decent job, and move up professionally in the engineering field?. I dont like to make everything racial, but it is a fact of life when trying to fit in and get a good job.

Unfourtuanetly ive heard negative things about boston, but Im sure most people in boston are not racist, but how successful are the black people there? especially in the engineering field? I think I would like boston because I have Caribbean and Irish great-grandparents which ive heard both cultures are common in boston, but i still am brown skinned so I dont know how far that will fly trying to relate to the irish people of boston.

How successful are the black people in Minneapolis, how would you compare to the balt/dc area?
I like carribean food, does minneapolis have a carribean population?

Cold weather has never been a problem for me, I like winter sports, so winter in both cities is not a problem

But which city would you say is more tolerant of blacks?

I appreciate responses from everyone, but I especially would like to hear from black people who have lived in all three cities, and how blacks are treated in the workforce, and socially.

Thank You
I'm Black, one of business school friends also Black worked in Minneapolis for a Fortune 500 company. He hated it. Beyond the weather he said most of the Black people he encountered were poor. He got a job in Philly and moved within a year. Minneapolis does have good job prospects though.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:12 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm Black, one of business school friends also Black worked in Minneapolis for a Fortune 500 company. He hated it. Beyond the weather he said most of the Black people he encountered were poor. He got a job in Philly and moved within a year. Minneapolis does have good job prospects though.
This is a pretty good assessment of Minneapolis. You'll find a lot of job opportunities and, while I certainly won't pretend that racial discrimination is non-existent here, I think it would be less of an impediment than it might be in some other cities.

One of the things about Minneapolis is that there isn't much of a black middle-class. Most Black people here are either poor African Americans who have relocated from other Midwestern cities, or African Immigrants who have yet to establish an economically flourishing community. With that said, you certainly will find other Black professionals--you just may need to look a little harder than you would in places like Atlanta, Philadelphia, or D.C.

Best of luck wherever you end up!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:03 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
I lived in Boston for a long time and really liked it (I'm black). It is insular though, very click-ish, so it takes time to make friends. The black community there is mostly Caribbean. There is a fairly large black middle class in the area. The racial tension is real but you can find a multicultural group of friends anyway.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:49 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,168,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Boston hates Black people! Been there, done that!
Black people of Baltimore hate other black people even more; ever heard of "black on black crime?"

Old 12-09-2013, 06:26 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,093,332 times
You will fit right in in Baltimore. Most of the city is black if that is your concern. As for growth its possible to find a good job in Bmore, considering people are not jumping out of their chairs to move here.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:34 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,630,968 times
Try Atlanta, Dallas or Houston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: