Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:43 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times

Advertisements

Shoveled and beach chaired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:45 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
More snow tonight!

Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Snow plows have created glaciers on the sidewalks three to four feet high.. cant shovel much...LOL.. But hopefully it will melt away over the next several days.. On some streets it makes a hell of a difference to see people in wheel chairs, walkers, and what not walking down the edge of a street taking up an entire lane as cars, trucks and buses speed by is scary..given Bmo pedestrians lack of regard for traffic and visa versa. I am surprised we havent been reading about traffic fatalities...

I was driving through the west side and saw a passenger jump out of a car and throw a chair across the street from a space that someone was likely saving for themselves.. The car then parked in it.. I am sure the Baltimore Chair Wars over "reserved parking spaces on public streets" have begun again in some of the rowhouse areas....but hey if Zip Car can do it...why cant I......

Old 02-18-2014, 10:16 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Bmo pedestrians lack of regard for traffic and visa versa.
It's mostly visa versa!

Old 02-18-2014, 02:44 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's not just Baltimore in this state.

We didn't have sidewalks in the residential areas here until about 10 or 15 years ago. All the rural pioneers wanted them and whined and moaned and complained until they were put in (which then screwed up the drainage so stormwater control measures had to put in as well as many front yards started to flood because the natural drainage was blocked by the new sidewalk. Mine is one such.). I warned people to be careful what they wished for because they'd have to do things like shovel. I was assured that the new people were a much better sort than us long time residents and, of course, they'd shovel.

Hasn't happened that way. I've been fielding calls asking when the Town Public Works crew would be around to shovel for the last two days. They won't be.

I, too, can't figure out businesses not making sure the store has access, but I've come to the conclusion that many small businessmen are almost too stupid to breathe.
We had the same problem out our way in Frederick county. Our town sends out notices in the October newsletter every year (goes with the water bill) that residents are responsible for shoveling their walks within 24 hours of the end of the storm. It also get mentioned in the local paper and on the towns website and listserv. We get a pretty good response these days but the town will send 'gentle' reminders out then fine if needed and have town (or contract) crews do it and bill the property owner. I don't think we usually have to get beyond the warning stage when there were some houses in foreclosure they had to shovel and bill. The main thing was to get the routes to the schools clear for the kids. This last storm (18-20") I was surprised at how good the compliance was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore