Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,424,997 times

Advertisements

I was recently listening to a conversation amongst a few co-workers of mine and overheard a discussion about Baltimore's new developments that are taking place in the city. In the heat of discussion, I hear this woman belt out, "they are building everything for the white people!" Lol! I almost spit out my coffee because I laughed so hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 AM

219 posts, read 405,962 times
The private sector is doing almost all the building and it's in their best interest to market to people with money. The City offers incentives to these developers because it's trying to grow the population of middle and upper income people which grows their tax revenues. Furthermore new developments tend to increase the value of surrounding properties which again grow tax revenues. You NEED to have a decent tax base in order to be able to afford public services for the poor.... something people like Carl Stokes simply don't appreciate (this guy is just using the struggles of poor black people to keep himself in office...he's the epitome of a poverty pimp). Poor people in this city may get jealous or feel like they're not getting the attention they deserve, but really all the "building for white people" is essential for maintaining our fiscal stability.

Signed,
A Baltimore resident, certified urban planner, and public finance professional

Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
I was recently listening to a conversation amongst a few co-workers of mine and overheard a discussion about Baltimore's new developments that are taking place in the city. In the heat of discussion, I hear this woman belt out, "they are building everything for the white people!" Lol! I almost spit out my coffee because I laughed so hard.

That is absurd and underscores some of the idiotic and parochial thinking that plagues this town.. I cant understand why anyone regardless of your income of race would think that because something is nice.. it has to be for one particuliar race over another..It just like when you go to some communities and people walk through a community garden and trample the flowers or throw trash on the ground for someone ELSE to pick it up.. There is no self pride or self worth among so many of Baltimore's residents...the "THEY" should be "WE" as residents of the City..

.The City Leaders themselves are part of the blame by causing "class wars" among Baltimore Residents and pitting one group against the other... What the hell is Councilman Branch doing in West Baltimore? Instead of him answering that question he turns around and points the finger at Councilman Kraft for getting something done in his area and uses it as an excuse to why nothing can be done in West Baltimore because someone else is getting everything .... He then uses rhetoric to rally his base as opposed to trying to do as the Mayor has suggested.. be part of the solution....Surely there are market forces at play that impact one area over the other.. but at a minimum basic services and public safety should be able to be maintained....

Last edited by Woodlands; 02-27-2014 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 09:46 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,291 times
I'm willing to bet that no one at work said this, you are just trying to have a Baltimore version of Spike Lee's recent debate!

I'm guessing the complete opposite could be said about PG County, and it would still be just as stupid of a statement.

Private development does things that financially makes sense, they don't care about race, religion, ethnicity, gender… they care about making money.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:24 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
..It just like when you go to some communities and people walk through a community garden and trample the flowers or throw trash on the ground for someone ELSE to pick it up..
Back when I was in elementary school, which was not too long ago, we had "Citizenship" grades on our report cards alongside subjects like math and reading. I mostly only got B's in the main subjects and a few A's on occasional; but I, my parents and teachers were always proud of me getting A's in "Citizenship" -- which measured volunteerism, treating others with dignity, respecting authority of teachers/admins, among other attributes. Do school kids today still get this sort of evaluation?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Back when I was in elementary school, which was not too long ago, we had "Citizenship" grades on our report cards alongside subjects like math and reading. I mostly only got B's in the main subjects and a few A's on occasional; but I, my parents and teachers were always proud of me getting A's in "Citizenship" -- which measured volunteerism, treating others with dignity, respecting authority of teachers/admins, among other attributes. Do school kids today still get this sort of evaluation?
Was this at a public school?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:35 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I'm willing to bet that no one at work said this, you are just trying to have a Baltimore version of Spike Lee's recent debate!

I'm guessing the complete opposite could be said about PG County, and it would still be just as stupid of a statement.

Private development does things that financially makes sense, they don't care about race, religion, ethnicity, gender… they care about making money.
It's odd how many people think things just materialize out of thin air. My personal favorite urban myth is the one that immigrants get all of these free loans to open businesses in black neighborhoods.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 PM

64 posts, read 123,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post

Well black folks, time to step up to the plate. Stop the killing and start the reading. Books will not attack you!

Old 02-27-2014, 01:37 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's odd how many people think things just materialize out of thin air. My personal favorite urban myth is the one that immigrants get all of these free loans to open businesses in black neighborhoods.

How about the urban myth that says that those immigrants do not have to pay taxes for the first five or ten years they have those businesses? I have heard that at least ten thousand times over from people of every race, creed, and color.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:45 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Was this at a public school?
Yes. I think it made a difference. Most of my former classmates that I run into now as adults are mostly mild mannered irrespective of their income/status/occupation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: