Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 08:08 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,319,477 times

Advertisements

See ya, suburbs: More want to live in the big city

USA Today article about downtown Baltimore revival and a countrywide shift to living in cities.

and a Sun article about downtown Baltimore's continuing economic improvement

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...,3363148.story

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 03-27-2014 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: add more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:32 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,426,825 times
Good piece!

A friend of mine said to me "Harbor East doesn't look like the rest of Baltimore!" I told her vehemently that, "it's not supposed to!" Lol! Smh

Old 03-27-2014, 11:59 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Harbor East could be anywhere though. It looks more like Denver or Portland than Baltimore. But that's okay, whatever it takes and urban areas like Harbor East are needed as much as historic urban areas.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:33 PM

553 posts, read 1,707,732 times
I don't buy into the "rise of the city" and "end of the suburbs".

It looks very likely two trends are going to accelerate rapidly the next 10 years:

1. Performance, cost and availability of 100% electric cars
2. Self-driving cars

As those two trends take hold, people will stay in the suburbs. If you aren't dependent on gas, who cares what it costs, electric will be cheaper and electric cars easier to maintain.

And as self driving cars become the norm eg on the highway, traffic should become more of a thing of the past as well.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:46 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickymost View Post
I don't buy into the "rise of the city" and "end of the suburbs".

It looks very likely two trends are going to accelerate rapidly the next 10 years:

1. Performance, cost and availability of 100% electric cars
2. Self-driving cars

As those two trends take hold, people will stay in the suburbs. If you aren't dependent on gas, who cares what it costs, electric will be cheaper and electric cars easier to maintain.

And as self driving cars become the norm eg on the highway, traffic should become more of a thing of the past as well.
Interesting perspective, trickymost! I still bet on cities, though!

I believe this because you forgot to include a major factor: baby boomers. As they age (and there are a bunch of them!) they will not be able to drive or maintain large McMansions. Most are empty nesters searching for a simpler life and want to live in the city relying mainly on public transportation. Try grocery shoppings, going to medical appointments and socializing in the suburbs....taxi cabs would be the only way to accomplish these everyday tasks! We are living longer, and not reproducing babies as quickly.

I see a shift....based on economics. The suburbs are for families - so until hipsters and those with high incomes start reproducing more, the cities will flourish. Section 8 housing is slowing moving out of cities due to gentrification.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:23 PM

64 posts, read 123,124 times
The trend will continue. There is only so much room in suburbia for McMansions. It sours me to see so much beautiful land being swallowed up by strip malls and front lawns. And for what? boredom!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:43 AM

553 posts, read 1,707,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Interesting perspective, trickymost! I still bet on cities, though!

I believe this because you forgot to include a major factor: baby boomers. As they age (and there are a bunch of them!) they will not be able to drive or maintain large McMansions. Most are empty nesters searching for a simpler life and want to live in the city relying mainly on public transportation. Try grocery shoppings, going to medical appointments and socializing in the suburbs....taxi cabs would be the only way to accomplish these everyday tasks! We are living longer, and not reproducing babies as quickly.

I see a shift....based on economics. The suburbs are for families - so until hipsters and those with high incomes start reproducing more, the cities will flourish. Section 8 housing is slowing moving out of cities due to gentrification.
I agree about boomers, but a few points to consider.

First, the population is still growing. Boomers can move back to cities and the suburbs can still flourish. It's not a zero sum game.

Second, in place aging is a new trend. A lot of boomers are choosing to retrofit their homes for their later years. With self driving cars, boomers will be able to get around as easily in the burbs as they can in the city. Google should be deploying these fleets of cars in California and a few others states in 2015, I have no doubt they will be mainstream by 2020-2025.

Third, in Maryland anyway, it's getting too expensive for the boomers to retire here. Given the option between moving to say Baltimore and moving to Florida, I'm seeing more and more choose Florida. I hope this gets fixed in the next few years here in Maryland.

Finally, section 8, that's a whole other bird. That trend is actually reversing. A number of studies have shown that the push of section 8 out of urban cores has not led to the desired results. And if section 8 pushes out further into the burbs, then the burbs will push out and create new burbs, and in 20 years someone further out will be having the same argument.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 AM

129 posts, read 163,324 times
Very interesting article. I actually wrote a reaction to this as it relates to specific Baltimore neighborhoods and families here

B'more Bungalow: More People Moving To Big Cities, What Does it Mean for Families?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:49 PM

26 posts, read 34,908 times
This is the time for Baltimore nd it's leadership to have a very real and candid converation about the direction of the city.

They MUST figure out a way to fix the schools so people who work, pay taxes, and want to live in the city can educate their children in an atmosphere that promotes learning not social work.

There must be a real effort made to cater this city to tax paying citizens. Not continue to have a tacet glorificatio of mediocrity and crime.

Yes Baltimore, we understand you are primarily known for heroin and crime, but if doesn't have to be that way.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 PM

129 posts, read 163,324 times
Zombie Woof, I'm curious is your comment based on experience with sending your child to a specific Baltimore city school? If so, what school? And what were your exact issues with the school?

The city has in fact been working on some schools. They won a very large grant to renovate/rebuild several city schools in the next few years. My neighborhood school is one of the schools being rebuilt and architecture plans are being drawn up as we speak. I couldn't be more excited. It is a massive undertaking, but seems very promising. My neighborhood school is also in the process of becoming a charter, run by a group that has created several very successful and competitive elementary schools including Roland Park Elementary and Hampstead Hill Academy among others, both schools provide a fabulous education.

These things are just a start, but I think a part of the problem is that many economically well off Baltimore residents don't even know what's going on in their own backyards. For instance, some of my neighbors do not even know what school they are zoned for, yet send their kids to private school because of their belief that all Baltimore schools are bad. I know there are bad schools in the system, I happen to volunteer at one. But to say that the city is not trying and all schools glorify mediocrity is simply not true.

Last edited by freeazabird; 03-28-2014 at 02:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: