Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:59 AM

490 posts, read 924,711 times

Advertisements

It was a BIG argument going on in the D.C. Forum.....I'm from Montgomery County and P.G County (born and raised) and I can tell you that the D.C. suburbs really only recognize Washington D.C. and really don't claim the rest of the state... outside of Annapolis, Md...I know I'm not the only one who see this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 01:25 PM

934 posts, read 1,063,209 times
You're definitely right. I never would have noticed this until I moved to MD, but it's absolutely true.

One thing that illustrates this pretty well that struck me recently is when the mall shooting happened in Columbia not too long ago. The national media kept referring to Columbia as a "suburb of Washington DC." I kept screaming at my TV, "Columbia is 10 minutes outside of BALTIMORE."

It's almost like placing the shooting outside of DC makes it more important whereas if they had reported Columbia as a suburb of Baltimore, it would have been seen as just more violence in Baltimore. It really makes me sad.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:59 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,291 times
I really wish those two counties would leave Maryland. We would have a bipartisan state which would free us from all of the corruption of one party rule. There is wealth, but it provides no benefit to the rest of the state because the taxes are some of the country's highest. The bills that come out of MoCo are atrocious too! Which recently included an attempted ban on underage energy drink use and a bad tax on chicken farmers.

Last edited by KLynch10; 03-30-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 03:46 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
It was a BIG argument going on in the D.C. Forum.....I'm from Montgomery County and P.G County (born and raised) and I can tell you that the D.C. suburbs really only recognize Washington D.C. and really don't claim the rest of the state... outside of Annapolis, Md...I know I'm not the only one who see this
I am not from Maryland and I have noticed this, too. It definitely seems clear as day that those from or currently living in the suburbs of DC identity with DC and not Maryland.

I sometimes wonder if it would make more sense to just annex PG and MoCo to DC. Annapolis would as heck not be happy, but I have a feeling the rest of the Maryland, including those in PG and MoCo would not mind one bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
You're definitely right. I never would have noticed this until I moved to MD, but it's absolutely true.

One thing that illustrates this pretty well that struck me recently is when the mall shooting happened in Columbia not too long ago. The national media kept referring to Columbia as a "suburb of Washington DC." I kept screaming at my TV, "Columbia is 10 minutes outside of BALTIMORE."

It's almost like placing the shooting outside of DC makes it more important whereas if they had reported Columbia as a suburb of Baltimore, it would have been seen as just more violence in Baltimore. It really makes me sad.
I live in Columbia and we are more like 20 minutes from Baltimore.

I meet people who claim that Columbia is a suburb of Baltimore and people who claim it is a suburb of DC. The Redskins are just as well represented around here as the Ravens.

If you go through Catonsville and Ellicott City, Columbia is technically "connected" to Baltimore as it will appear as though you are never leaving a city. No matter how you get to DC from Columbia you will go through some rather large areas of open space (for now...).

Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Most people I know from PG and Montgomery County love to pretend like they are living the good life.....meanwhile, banks are starting to foreclosure on their homes. It's a drag commuting on the Beltway, things are more expensive and the idea of strip mall shopping makes me want to cut my wrists.

Folks in the District have been secretly clubbing in Baltimore....go to Soundstage on any weekend - full of people from D.C. Why? Our tickets are priced at least 50% less in Baltimore. Also, drinks and parking is cheaper.

They can claim D.C. all the day long!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,215,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaryland455 View Post
it was a big argument going on in the d.c. Forum.....i'm from montgomery county and p.g county (born and raised) and i can tell you that the d.c. Suburbs really only recognize washington d.c. and really don't claim the rest of the state... Outside of annapolis, md...i know i'm not the only one who see this
+1

Old 03-30-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Most people I know from PG and Montgomery County love to pretend like they are living the good life.....meanwhile, banks are starting to foreclosure on their homes. It's a drag commuting on the Beltway, things are more expensive and the idea of strip mall shopping makes me want to cut my wrists.

Folks in the District have been secretly clubbing in Baltimore....go to Soundstage on any weekend - full of people from D.C. Why? Our tickets are priced at least 50% less in Baltimore. Also, drinks and parking is cheaper.

They can claim D.C. all the day long!
Lol As if the Baltimore area doesn't have strip malls and as if you can't find Baltimoreans partying down here on any given night, be it native or transplant (The latter most especially) .

Old 03-30-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am not from Maryland and I have noticed this, too. It definitely seems clear as day that those from or currently living in the suburbs of DC identity with DC and not Maryland.

I sometimes wonder if it would make more sense to just annex PG and MoCo to DC. Annapolis would as heck not be happy, but I have a feeling the rest of the Maryland, including those in PG and MoCo would not mind one bit...

I live in Columbia and we are more like 20 minutes from Baltimore.

I meet people who claim that Columbia is a suburb of Baltimore and people who claim it is a suburb of DC. The Redskins are just as well represented around here as the Ravens.

If you go through Catonsville and Ellicott City, Columbia is technically "connected" to Baltimore as it will appear as though you are never leaving a city. No matter how you get to DC from Columbia you will go through some rather large areas of open space (for now...).
Ironic if DC does try to annex us since once upon a time ago, both DC (in its current form since the years leading up to the Civil War) and MoCo used to be part of PG County. This county is still big enough to make up an extra 5 jurisdictions.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:07 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Lol As if the Baltimore area doesn't have strip malls and as if you can't find Baltimoreans partying down here on any given night, be it native or transplant (The latter most especially) .
Here's Ledisi's tour schedule: Events | Ledisi

Tickets are almost twice as much in DC than Bmore....one day apart. LOL at the additional expense of parking, dinner and drinks when comparing each city.

Baltimore is the better value.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,473 times
Interesting...

Western MD, northern MD and the Eastern Shore are all fairly conservative while it seems MoCo, PG and Baltimore City are fairly liberal.

I remember as a kid in the 70s and 80s, folks working in DC but no one wanted to live there; it was another exodus of the middle and upper classes after the 1968 riots. Now with the boom of tech and the federal workforce, folks are clamoring to be there or have cheap housing and a decent commute. Areas of MD and NoVA that were farms are all now subdivisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore