Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 12:39 PM

20 posts, read 65,394 times

Advertisements

Can anybody tell me more about this area, specifically around Monument Place, Chesapeake Commons, Landmark, and St. James apartments? Howard looked pretty empty when I checked it out today. What's it like at night? My future roommate(s) and I are 22-23 year old women, so I expect we'd be walking back from bars late at night. I'd also appreciate info on those apartment buildings if anyone knows anything about them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 04:20 PM

934 posts, read 1,062,984 times
My roommate and I (also 23 year old females, so in a similar situation) looked at a bunch of complexes in Mount Vernon when we were looking at places (settled on a rowhome in Patterson Park and moving in May) and we looked at the Chesapeake Commons. And honestly, even though we really liked the complex itself and the apartment was spacious at a reasonable price, the area did make us pretty uncomfortable. It's really convenient if you use the train to commute, as it is right next to the stop. But, you get a lot of questionable people hanging about and noise as a result. In the end, the area chased us away.

I'm not telling you to definitely stay away from there, as we definitely could have made it work and the apartments at the Chesapeake Commons are really nice (and I like that they are all different - gives the place character), but I am telling you that there are better options.

Have you looked at Waterloo Place? That is much closer to the center of Mount Vernon in a safer area and the apartments there are pretty nice and reasonably priced. Until we found the rowhome that we settled on, we almost lived there. We just wanted more of a rowhome situation rather than an apartment complex situation. But, out of all the complexes we looked at in Mount Vernon, that was the one we liked the best.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:37 PM

20 posts, read 65,394 times
Yeah, we're also looking at Waterloo, Stafford, PAB, and Severn. Waterloo wasn't an option for us until we considered adding a third roommate but now it looks like our best choice.

I'm planning on commuting with my bike and the light rail (Centre St to Falls Rd). Those complexes are only a few extra blocks to the station so it wouldn't make a huge difference since I'll be on a bike.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 PM

934 posts, read 1,062,984 times
We looked at the Stafford, but the places seemed too small for the price. PAB was on our list too, but we ended up landing our place before we got a chance to check it out. May be worth a look.

If you can get a third roommate to make Waterloo feasible, I would suggest it.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by designer_genes View Post
My roommate and I (also 23 year old females, so in a similar situation) looked at a bunch of complexes in Mount Vernon when we were looking at places (settled on a rowhome in Patterson Park and moving in May) and we looked at the Chesapeake Commons. And honestly, even though we really liked the complex itself and the apartment was spacious at a reasonable price, the area did make us pretty uncomfortable. It's really convenient if you use the train to commute, as it is right next to the stop. But, you get a lot of questionable people hanging about and noise as a result. In the end, the area chased us away.

I'm not telling you to definitely stay away from there, as we definitely could have made it work and the apartments at the Chesapeake Commons are really nice (and I like that they are all different - gives the place character), but I am telling you that there are better options.

Have you looked at Waterloo Place? That is much closer to the center of Mount Vernon in a safer area and the apartments there are pretty nice and reasonably priced. Until we found the rowhome that we settled on, we almost lived there. We just wanted more of a rowhome situation rather than an apartment complex situation. But, out of all the complexes we looked at in Mount Vernon, that was the one we liked the best.

Chesapeake Commons is in what some urban planners would call a border area.. Its a narrow zone between Seton Hill and Mt. Vernon.. but along the blighted portion of Howard Street. I ride the Light Rail through there all the time.. I think its perception rather than reality that is "sketchy". There is just no one around thus one or two drunks or druggies hanging out makes the entire area feel dangerous.. The drunk and druggies will likely mind their own business and not mess with you but I can understand being unnerved. That park across the street is screaming for some attention.. If the vacant building next to it and across from the Chesapeake is ever redeveloped into apartment.. that area's problems would be solved because it will be "bookened" by residential development and thus the park may become the open space for residents and thus more inviting.. The dog park there does get quite a bit of use....literally...'Sit UBU Sit... Good Boy...' Gen Xers will get this reference....

Old 04-16-2014, 05:45 PM

537 posts, read 769,135 times
Millenial here, and I got the Ubu reference

Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,335 times
[quote=Woodlands;34395042]Chesapeake Commons is in what some urban planners would call a border area.. Its a narrow zone between Seton Hill and Mt. Vernon.. but along the blighted portion of Howard Street. I ride the Light Rail through there all the time.. I think its perception rather than reality that is "sketchy". There is just no one around thus one or two drunks or druggies hanging out makes the entire area feel dangerous.. The drunk and druggies will likely mind their own business and not mess with you but I can understand being unnerved. That park across the street is screaming for some attention.. If the vacant building next to it and across from the Chesapeake is ever redeveloped into apartment.. that area's problems would be solved because it will be "bookened" by residential development and thus the park may become the open space for residents and thus more inviting.. The dog park there does get quite a bit of use....literally...'Sit UBU Sit... Good Boy...' Gen Xers will get this reference....

Yes...Family Ties! X'er in the house. Woodlands, Chesapeake Commons seems a bit pricey for the location. I paid at least $400 less for a loft on Paca with hardwood floors in 2008. The price point is still in that range. I don't see the value in a carpeted loft.

416-Flat-1 Bedroom

Especially in that location....anyone that likes to go out at night might feel uncomfortable at that location. The Inner Harbor Lofts (where I lived) had more pedestrian traffic. Just saying.....

Inner Harbor Lofts Amenities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: