Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 10:03 PM

478 posts, read 809,276 times

Advertisements

Are there any spots or areas to go in Baltimore city that attract a lively crowd on off-nights (Sunday-Wednesday)? I just got back from a walk around Mt Vernon and I'm amazed how deserted a lot of it seems on a Wednesday night. Brewers Art had a little activity, that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 09:40 PM

537 posts, read 768,720 times
Maybe go deeper into the city? I think a lot of the places south of Mt Vernon shut down around 2 and 3 though. It's definitely no NYC or Toronto. This city sleeps.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM

759 posts, read 1,356,274 times
This may sound a little wacky, but for late-night, week-night night-life in Baltimore City try our Koreatown (borders, roughly, Howard to Charles, 20th to 24th). The bars/restaurants are open very late (some 'til 4 AM) and many feature music, dancing, karaoke, sports, etc. I don't know the legality of serving booze this late, but I've never had a problem getting beer and soju whenever they were open. The places are usually full of younger Asians and restaurant workers who want a meal and some drinks after a long night on the job. My personal favorite is Jong Kak, try the Cuttlefish in red chile sauce or the Octopus bi bim bap.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 AM

934 posts, read 1,061,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
Are there any spots or areas to go in Baltimore city that attract a lively crowd on off-nights (Sunday-Wednesday)? I just got back from a walk around Mt Vernon and I'm amazed how deserted a lot of it seems on a Wednesday night. Brewers Art had a little activity, that's about it.
A lot of the pubs in Fell's Point attract a decent crowd on off-nights. Some of my favorite bars down there include Max's (if you like beer, they have dozens of options on tap), Kooper's Tavern (great burgers and a chill atmosphere), Bad Decisions (a HUGE handwritten book full of custom cocktails at decent prices; their bartenders really know what they're doing), and Red Star (my favorite pub food in Fell's). I'm pretty sure some of the pubs have live music during certain nights of the week too.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:02 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post

Baltimore seems very blue collar in this regard.. DC and some major cities party 7 days a week. Baltimore people still frequent their neighborhood corner bars are do Happy Hour from 5pm to 7/8ish and then the streets roll up. On Fridays and Saturdays things last a little longer but Sunday through Wednesday could be tough.. The advice others have given for the usual haunts in Fed Hill, Fells Point, Harbor East, and certainly during baseball season some of the places downtown around Camden Yard. Other noteworthy areas could include Hampden, corner bars in Remington and Washington Village.. along with a few places in Morrell Park, Highlandtown, and Brooklyn/Curtis Bay if you want some real Balmer Flava.....There are few places in Curtis Bay that remind me of a scene out of the House of Pain Video (Jump Around)

Old 05-20-2014, 09:50 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
This may sound a little wacky, but for late-night, week-night night-life in Baltimore City try our Koreatown (borders, roughly, Howard to Charles, 20th to 24th). The bars/restaurants are open very late (some 'til 4 AM) and many feature music, dancing, karaoke, sports, etc. I don't know the legality of serving booze this late, but I've never had a problem getting beer and soju whenever they were open. The places are usually full of younger Asians and restaurant workers who want a meal and some drinks after a long night on the job. My personal favorite is Jong Kak, try the Cuttlefish in red chile sauce or the Octopus bi bim bap.
Korea-Town in Baltimore! I'd love to go there.

I used to live in Seoul Korea....love the food. Love the drinking.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:37 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,040,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
The restaurants are plentiful (and certainly authentic) enough, but where are the bars?

Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 PM

478 posts, read 809,276 times
Thanks for your replies!

The Korean idea sounds appealing to me, as I really like Korean food and will check it out for sure on that merit, but I'm curious about the nightlife aspect of it. Is it a place where you could go, sit at a bar, and strike up conversations with strangers or bring a group of friends out late? Also, how safe is it to park in that neighborhood and leave your car on the street until late hours?

Fells Point could work out too. I actually frequent bad decisions and like it a lot; if only it was closer to Mt Vernon! (I live in Mt Vernon)

If anybody else has more suggestions keep them coming! Thanks.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:20 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,510,519 times
Drinking during the week in Baltimore is best done in the taverns or on the stoop.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:20 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,711 times
During the week I go to a few places.....

The Golden West in Hampden has a cool bar in the back. Golden West Cafe |

My main spot, The Dizz is walking distance from my stoop in Remington. The Dizz... Baltimore in a Bar

Also hit Rocket To Venus in Hampden. The food is incredible - brussell sprouts are crazy! Rocket to Venus

When I'm feeling up to it, I frequent kareoke at Long John's in Remington....rough local crowd but fun. Sorry, no website at this dive bar.

Closer to you is IBar, which can be cool but the street is sketchy at times. Wings are great there. iBar Home Page - It all starts HERE!

For an interesting Wednesday night, you could go to The Hippo for gay bingo. It's so much fun. $1.00 shots when #69 is called. I always have fun there and the crowd is cool. » Gay Bingo It's walking distance from you....but I agree, Mt. Vernon is dead during the week.

When I have evening classes, a few bars around UBalt have some activity, but I find it harder to strike up conversations compared to Remington and Hampden.

The Charles Village pub is cool too.....Charles Village Pub* (The original and currently ONLY) - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: