Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,825 times

Advertisements

What a way to go huh? You breed these vicious dogs to attack other people, but then it attacks you! Talk about biting the hand that feeds you

Baltimore woman killed by her own pit bull | WJLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 06:51 AM

45,422 posts, read 60,608,674 times
But they're a gentle breed.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:54 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
I hope I remember that article the next time someone is looking for an apartment and they say their pit bulls are just the sweetest animals.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:31 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
Justice served. What goes around, comes around.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,901,646 times
Living in a nice part of the city where there are pit bulls everywhere you look, they are a wonderful breed when they are treated the way a dog deserves to be treated. Many of my neighbors have them, and their dogs wouldn't hurt a fly, are great with my dog, and are great with small children.

Pit Bulls tend to be ******* magnets, which is why you see incidents. The problems we see with pit bulls are a knock on humanity, not the dogs. Perhaps the owners of violent Pit Bulls should be put down as well.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:56 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,724 times
I've heard so often that Pit Bulls are really a gentle breed, and it's their owners who train them to be violently aggressive.

All dog breeds today have been deliberately bred for specific physical traits, whether it's color, size, strength, or speed; long or short hair, shape of head, body, tail, ears, muzzle, feet; sense of smell, sight or hearing; ability to track, point, set, retrieve, herd, pull, guard, protect, etc., etc. They're also bred for traits of propensity or disposition, whether it's gentleness, loyalty, aloofness, energy level, willingness to please, or aggressiveness, etc..

Man has engineered dogs to be what they are. Dogs with specific traits from each generation are bred with other dogs to intensify or lessen that trait. There are more than a dozen generations of dogs for every generation of man.
Dogs have also been bred to fight and kill. To kill vermin like rats and mice, or pests like moles, voles, weasels, badgers, etc. But also to fight and kill other dogs, other animals, and even humans. Men have been breeding dogs to fight for thousands of years.

If one were to select specific traits for a dog-fighting dog one might select dogs that were strong, stocky, heavy-shouldered, square-headed, thick-skulled, short-haired, strong-jawed, high energy, aggressive, fearless and unmindful of pain. Then one would breed those dogs together, refining all of those characteristics for successive generations. When one had what one wanted, one would keep the dogs that best embody that model to use for breeding (and fighting) stock.

One might notice that none of the desired traits for said dog include options like loyalty, gentleness, loving, great family pet, easy-going, good with kids and other dogs....

Sure it's nature vs. nurture. If you treat any dog well and train it properly it is less likely to bite, attack, or kill its owners, neighbors or strangers. But hundreds, if not thousands of generations of breeding an animal with a specific intent that that animal is being selectively designed to attack, fight and kill other animals is not going to go away just because it now finds itself in a family home rather than in a dog fighting ring.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:13 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
"Oh he's just a sweet baby" "He would never hurt me or my child" On & on

Old 04-19-2014, 02:01 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
Rep'd you BK.... A few friends own pit bulls and they are great friendly dogs. Very strong! Two of them live to jump on people and it can be scary to feel that heavy strength on your chest. They are extremely protective of their homes.

Nice dogs, but I personally don't think I would own one....they're a bit unpredictable.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:57 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Justice served. What goes around, comes around.
Again....you celebrate a women's death.....

Old 04-19-2014, 07:17 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
According to the website dogbite.org, between 2005 and 2012, 151 people were killed by pit bulls, compared to 32 people killed by rottweilers. <-- quote.

I've met some sweet pits. And I love dogs. (I was up to 8 at one time working with rescues including a Dane, GSD, Golden - the house seemed really small) Pits are wound a little too tight for me.

Here's the rest of the story. She was in a wheelchair. The dog had bit her previously and had been seized and returned to her at her insistence. It was last year.
Baltimore Woman Mauled To Death By Her Pit Bull Was Previously Attacked « CBS Baltimore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore