Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 12:52 PM

8 posts, read 8,714 times

Advertisements

I got accepted to both UMB's and Salisbury's Master of Social Work (MSW) programs. Here are some tidbits about each school:

I like UMB because it's a larger school, and I can blend in quietly. It's unlikely that I will encounter the same professor more than once, which is something I like.

Salisbury's program is considerably smaller in size, which makes for a more intimate classroom setting. I will likely encounter the same professors multiple times, and my reputation as a student, for better or for worse, will be known by the faculty.

Though subjective, Salisbury's faculty received less favorable reviews from former students on a "rate your professor" website.

Salisbury is 25% less expensive than UMB's program when considering the total cost of attendance (because it's cheaper to live on the Eastern Shore).

UMB was ranked #16 by U.S. World News; Salisbury was ranked #172. Though I'm told the rankings don't mean as much for social work schools as they would for, say, law schools.

Even if I end up in a field completely outside the realm of social work/ human services, I'll still have a master's degree from University of Maryland. I'm not sure how a regional university, e.g., Salisbury, will be perceived by employers in a different part of the country. Most Americans are swayed by brand names, and postsecondary institutions are no exception.

Salisbury is rural and Baltimore, obviously, is urban. This is one aspect I'm flexible with, as I can thrive in either environment. The Eastern Shore of Maryland is beautiful, and Baltimore is very charming city.

My question is, is the cheaper option (Salisbury) always the best option? I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 01:26 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silopanna2013 View Post
Salisbury is rural and Baltimore, obviously, is urban. This is one aspect I'm flexible with, as I can thrive in either environment. The Eastern Shore of Maryland is beautiful, and Baltimore is very charming city.

My question is, is the cheaper option (Salisbury) always the best option? I appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
I don't know your field well, but are there internship opportunities that interest you more at one school than the other? For example, does the opportunity to work with rural migrant workers interest you more than with urban families, or the reverse?

I would go with your heart and not worry too much about the perception of the school.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 11,588 times
First are you certain you want to be a social worker? I only ask because it sounds like you are already looking ahead to not doing social work and you might be confused about the value of that degree. My wife attended VCU's School of Social Work for her graduate study and I'm forced to work with social workers here on the eastern shore for my job. I mention this to let you know where I'm coming from. The primary value of a msw is that it checks off a number of government required boxes in your chosen field. That's pretty much it. Oh and the knowledge you'll gain that's important too.
There is some regional value to where you get a degree, for instance, if you wanted to work in Baltimore getting a degree from UMB would provide you with a professional network in Baltimore. Same thing for Salisbury. But that's about it. If you want to say move to Ohio (because people do sometimes, they must or no one would live there.) A msw from Salisbury and UMB would mean about the same thing to a hiring manager whose primary reason for living is making sure everyone's resume meets the current and ever changing government requirements for funding.
Don't forget this outside of your field (which, by the way is a field that kills souls, if yours is tough as iron perfect otherwise abandon all hope.) a degree is only worth the networks it opens up to you and an msw will not open up many networks. Of course I'm a cynic so take it for what it's worth.
Oh and if you seriously don't like professors knowing who you are just go to umb.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:12 PM

Thanks for your input.

I can't speak for others, as we humans don't all think alike, but what I have found to be soul killing is wasting the day pushing paper in a cubicle. Don't get me wrong: I'd rather sit in an air conditioned office building and collect $38.00 per hour than work at the mall for minimum wage or slightly above. However, at the end of the day, I need a vocation that doesn't chain me to a desk.

See, I honestly believe that a MSW degree and a state license will open up many doors. I find it about as practical and valuable as a RN. Plus, social work is more than Child Protective Services, which is where are all the really sad, gut-wrenching stories originate. My passion is working with adults and seniors who are battling serious mental illness. Some of the patients who are involuntarily committed to a psych unit don't even know what planet they're on. It's amazing to see them regain their conscious awareness within 24-48 hours of administering psychotropic drugs.

Now I'm rambling. The point is, I am committed to practicing clinical social work, but if burnout ever becomes an issue, there are always opportunities in social welfare policy (Capitol Hill) and in higher education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwater View Post
First are you certain you want to be a social worker? I only ask because it sounds like you are already looking ahead to not doing social work and you might be confused about the value of that degree. My wife attended VCU's School of Social Work for her graduate study and I'm forced to work with social workers here on the eastern shore for my job. I mention this to let you know where I'm coming from. The primary value of a msw is that it checks off a number of government required boxes in your chosen field. That's pretty much it. Oh and the knowledge you'll gain that's important too.
There is some regional value to where you get a degree, for instance, if you wanted to work in Baltimore getting a degree from UMB would provide you with a professional network in Baltimore. Same thing for Salisbury. But that's about it. If you want to say move to Ohio (because people do sometimes, they must or no one would live there.) A msw from Salisbury and UMB would mean about the same thing to a hiring manager whose primary reason for living is making sure everyone's resume meets the current and ever changing government requirements for funding.
Don't forget this outside of your field (which, by the way is a field that kills souls, if yours is tough as iron perfect otherwise abandon all hope.) a degree is only worth the networks it opens up to you and an msw will not open up many networks. Of course I'm a cynic so take it for what it's worth.
Oh and if you seriously don't like professors knowing who you are just go to umb.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:23 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,992,889 times
I was considering getting a Master's in SW a while back and remember being impressed with UMB's program. Does Salisbury's program give you the same direct clinical field experience? That would be the deciding factor.

I have not ruled out social work to supplement my career in health care, but forensics is more appealing to me at this time.

I also think living in Baltimore would be more favorable in the long run. There are more agencies and services, so your opportunities during and after finishing would most likely give you more opportunities.

Where do you live?

Old 06-09-2014, 01:47 PM

Salisbury's program is all clinical and does not offer specializations or concentrations; it's taught from a generalist perspective with limited course electives. UMB offers clinical specializations in geriatrics, families and children, health, mental health, and a non-clinical option in community action & social policy. Though you could technically get a social work job in any of those fields with the generalist degree from Salisbury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I was considering getting a Master's in SW a while back and remember being impressed with UMB's program. Does Salisbury's program give you the same direct clinical field experience? That would be the deciding factor.

I have not ruled out social work to supplement my career in health care, but forensics is more appealing to me at this time.

I also think living in Baltimore would be more favorable in the long run. There are more agencies and services, so your opportunities during and after finishing would most likely give you more opportunities.

Where do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: