Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 12,888 times

Advertisements

Nope, no kids yet. We're staying Downtown now and it's fine, but not where we want to get a place. And yes, 1-bedroom is plenty, since it's just the two of us.

So it sounds like we're really on the right track looking mostly at Fells and Charles Village. Definite good things about each.

And thanks again, everybody. We haven't been here very long, but so far we're really glad we came in spite of the city's reputation (and my mom's reaction to it!) - there's a whole lot more to Baltimore than I ever expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:13 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,993,367 times
Wait until Artscape....it will make you fall in love with our city! ARTSCAPE 2014 :: HOME

Old 06-25-2014, 04:24 PM

Yeah, I heard about Artscape. Really looking forward to it!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:38 PM

119 posts, read 237,225 times
Hey there,

I am in Charles Village. As advice, stay north of 30th and west of Greenmount. Having said that, given that you want easy access to both Fells Pt. and JMHI, you might want to consider Mt. Vernon. It's on the Hopkins shuttle route and a little close to Fells than CV.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 PM

Hi again, so here's a quick question: if I were living in Fells/Upper Fells but needed to come home late at night from JHMI, would I definitely have to take a cab? Even if they're cheap, knowing I'd have to do that every time for safety reasons is a concern (versus the free Hopkins shuttle to Charles Village). Just a thought. I've walked through there a few times this past week to get a better feel for it, but not at night.

And yes I do realize there are busses, though same problem of paying for them (obviously better than going through a dangerous neighborhood, but still worth considering when the shuttle is free, you know?). I'd also want to live near a bus stop in that case. Just few more considerations. Thank you!

Old 06-26-2014, 08:25 PM

556 posts, read 946,901 times
The circulator buses are free, and the Green line is the probably the best connector between JHMI and Fells. They run until 8pm (winter) or 9pm (summer) on weeknights, and until midnight on weekends (year round). Depending on where you live in Fells (i.e. how close to Broadway), there can be a lot of foot traffic at night with bars, which makes it more comfortable to walk (IMO). I'm not at all familiar with the MTA buses serving Fells. I do know that MTA buses tend to stop every block, so if you can find a route that works, you shouldn't have to walk far to get to a stop.

Do you mind if I ask what program you will be in? I'm at the school of public health, and very rarely stay on campus past 5pm. When I do, I have always had a classmate or friend who could drive me home, or have had several friends heading in the same direction, so we could walk together. I don't know as much about the nursing and medical programs, but I don't get the sense that they have many classes late at night.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 AM

I'll be in Nursing, so it's not classes that are the issue but just in case we have late clinicals at the hospital. Although realistically, I may well be assigned to a different hospital (plus clinicals aren't every day). So it would not be the norm to leave later than the circulator runs. Thank you so much! That really helps a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: