Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 AM

219 posts, read 405,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
I'm not at all trying to deny the state of the city's schools. I'm saying that average SAT scores are not a good measure. What you posted regarding remedial classes in college is far more meaningful.
I'm not blaming the schools directly for their low performance. I'm blaming the students and more importantly the families of the students that lack the drive, role models, and intellectual capacity to achieve. Grouping this many low performers in one district scares off the best teachers and administrators, further diminishing the potential for success.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM

556 posts, read 946,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
That's something that has certainly changed since I took the SAT 40 years ago. At that time, our teachers and guidance councilors told us, "It's not the kind of test you can study for. Just get a good night's sleep the night before the test and have some breakfast that morning. And be sure to have at least three sharp #2 pencils."
Well, yes, it has changed. I last took the SAT in 1999. I had a $30 prep book. By the time I finished undergrad in 2004, most of the incoming students has taken prep classes or had tutors - I had quite a few friends who earned their tuition money by teaching SAT prep classes. It absolutely is a test that you can prep for. It isn't really studying in the traditional sense, but learning how to break down problems and figure out answers when you don't actually know. It's more or less about applying game theory to the test. I checked current offerings for classes, and the cheapest option I found was $300. I can guarantee you that many (if not most) college bound students in the better/wealthier suburban districts are using some kind of prep material.

College admissions have changed too. 15 years ago, it was enough to have all A's and B's, a semi-decent SAT, and a couple of extracurricular activities. Now families are hiring consultants to help write personal statements and organize the application process. It's mind blowing to think about the disadvantages kids face if their parents don't have extra funds to supplement education, or if their parents aren't savvy to the education system and process (and if the parents didn't go to college themselves, how would they ever know?). I'd venture that most parents of Baltimore City Schools students don't even know where to begin.

I was lucky. My mom is an educator (20 years classroom, 20 years school administration, and now 5+ years district administration). She knew that I needed resources and experiences to supplement the day-to-day routine at school, and she spent close to $1000/year on extras like science camp. I also spent countless hours washing cars, wrapping presents at the mall, and working the concession stand at basketball games to earn my "fair share" for the arts programs I participated in. If a parent never had those experiences and opportunities themselves, how are they supposed to know that kids need it? If a parent barely has the money to make rent and buy groceries, how are they supposed to pay for supplemental stuff? Our education system is rigged against the poor, and it has nothing to do with innate intelligence.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 AM

226 posts, read 363,653 times
The SAT scores while disappointing are not shocking at all as the Baltimore City School System has underperformed for atleast the last 20 yrs. The encouraging news comes from the elementary school students who have increased their learning skills based on recent test scores. I think the younger students benefit from the relatively new expansion of head start programs. The other encouraging news comes from the charter schools who have been able to provide quality educations to many city students. Highschool graduation rates are increasing and drop out rates are decreasing. Just posting rules about what young black men need to do is not an effective solution. Focussing more on how we can support young students whom do not have a good learning environment at home is the best way to improve schools.

Last edited by bmoregrimey; 08-15-2014 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 11:08 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,255,328 times
mpheels -

Thanks for the info. I have no idea what the current SAT's are like, nor what college admission entails.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Our education system is rigged against the poor, and it has nothing to do with innate intelligence.
Coming from a poorer household I can agree with the "rigged against the poor statement". However, saying that achievement has NOTHING to do with innate intelligence is an obvious over statement. We all knew kids growing up who, even with the best backgrounds and support systems, didn't have what it takes to get good grades. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a greater portion of Baltimore City students, compared to the national average, fall into this category.

I'm not saying that other factors don't contribute as well, I'm just annoyed by the persistent script from local liberals which implies it's NEVER the poor black community's fault for their own shortcomings.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoregrimey View Post
The SAT scores while disappointing are not shocking at all as the Baltimore City School System has underperformed for atleast the last 20 yrs. The encouraging news comes from the elementary school students who have increased their learning skills based on recent test scores. I think the younger students benefit from the relatively new expansion of head start programs. The other encouraging news comes from the charter schools who have been able to provide quality educations to many city students. Highschool graduation rates are increasing and drop out rates are decreasing. Just posting rules about what young black men need to do is not an effective solution. Focussing more on how we can support young students whom do not have a good learning environment at home is the best way to improve schools.
Totally agree, but I do have a few concerns with charters. They often are able to make themselves look better than traditional public schools because they have more leeway to get rid of problem students. If you had two identical schools, with identical teachers and materials, the charter school will almost always look better because they can more easily kick out the kids who misbehave or don't meet academic standards. Admission and enrollment at a charter requires some level of initiative on the part of parents, which means the kids at charters already have an advantage in having more engaged parents. But my biggest frustration with charters is, if they are so darn good*, then why aren't we using those methods and techniques in all schools? The short answer is wrapped up in what I described above - charters succeed in part because they can control their enrollment more tightly than traditional public schools, which is an impossible solution to apply across the board (at least not without a lot of lawsuits).

*There are actually some really, really bad charters out there.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
Coming from a poorer household I can agree with the "rigged against the poor statement". However, saying that achievement has NOTHING to do with innate intelligence is an obvious over statement. We all knew kids growing up who, even with the best backgrounds and support systems, didn't have what it takes to get good grades. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a greater portion of Baltimore City students, compared to the national average, fall into this category.

I'm not saying that other factors don't contribute as well, I'm just annoyed by the persistent script from local liberals which implies it's NEVER the poor black community's fault for their own shortcomings.
Yes, there will always be smart kids and not-so-smart kids. Smart kids will usually find away to succeed (though possibly not at the same level they would have reached in better circumstances). In the case of Baltimore City, the smarts kids appear to find their way to the better charters or secure scholarship funding to attend a private school. The average and less-than-average are the ones that are screwed by the system. If the schools are not helping kids figure out what they can do, then the schools are not holding up their end of the deal. There are plenty of jobs that do not require an bachelor's degree, but are still essential to the functioning of out society. The world needs ditch diggers, and all that... If a kids lacks the academic ability to attend college, then we owe it to them to make sure they can read, write, and do basic math so they can at least get a stable job and manage their personal business (i.e. balance a virtual check book, read and understand official notices). I don't believe for one second that the basics are beyond the abilities most Baltimore City students.

Do you honestly believe that the average Baltimore resident/native is inherently less intelligent than the average American? Did you know that 12% of adults in America lack a high school diploma? Or that only 1/3 have a bachelors degree? You either haven't spent enough time in enough cities, or your perspective on Baltimore is incredibly skewed. Either way, if you dislike Black people so much that you can't see beyond the color of their skin to the deeper historical and social problems, Baltimore really isn't the city for you.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Do you honestly believe that the average Baltimore resident/native is inherently less intelligent than the average American? Did you know that 12% of adults in America lack a high school diploma? Or that only 1/3 have a bachelors degree? You either haven't spent enough time in enough cities, or your perspective on Baltimore is incredibly skewed. Either way, if you dislike Black people so much that you can't see beyond the color of their skin to the deeper historical and social problems, Baltimore really isn't the city for you.
Yes, I do believe that the average Baltimore City resident/native is inherently less intelligent than the average American (although I think most of the transplants are much more intelligent than the average American). Relative intelligence is an inherited trait.... and there's plenty of research out there demonstrating the aggregate positive relationship between intelligence and achievement.

My theory on Baltimore goes like this: for decades intelligent and consequently successful people had left Baltimore at a greater pace then they were replaced. This was caused by a combination of economic decline and then later the relatively poor living conditions within the city itself (flight of both the white AND black middle and upper classes to suburbs in pursuit of less crime, better schools, lower taxes ect.... another well documented trend). Currently the region has a fairly high median income and "brainscore" (an aggregate measure of the number of adults with high school, bachelors, masters, and other advance degrees). This can be attributed to the reshaping of the Baltimore metro area economy, primarily during the 90's and into today.

For decades Baltimore City acted as a kind of filter, letting out the most productive members of society, but catching the lowest rungs of society (in terms of intelligence, social moores, criminal disposition, and general anti-social behavior.... these people couldn't escape because they're the least likely to have the means to). This has resulted in the extreme poverty, crime, drug abuse, and lack of educational achievement that you see today in so many parts of the city. I see how you could call this racist since the members of that lowest rung are predominantly black, but I would challenge you by saying that I know, and happily work with Black lawyers, accountants, and engineers, many of whom grew up in the area. The one common feature these folks have, other than their intelligence and ability, is that they all live the county.

I think you, like so many religiously liberal (or just generally polarized) individuals, suffer from confirmation bias. You have it beaten into your head that the lengthy history of black oppression is the ONLY reason black communities are suffering and you just can't accept anything to the contrary. And while I'm willing to admit that those things have had a serious impact, I will not sit back and let you give them all a free pass. A lot of people are suffering in this city because they're just plain stupid. If anything I'm a classicist.... this place has put an end to my bleeding heart.

As for your last sentence- Baltimore is changing slowly and steadily. The ghettos are declining and the more stable areas are growing. It has happened in other cities before and it's happening here now... so yeah I think Baltimore's for me because I want to be part of the group that brings this place back to its former greatness.

Last edited by baltplanner; 08-15-2014 at 03:03 PM..

Old 08-15-2014, 02:29 PM

OK, then what solutions do you propose?

Old 08-15-2014, 02:40 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,474,061 times
Aren't there actual places on the web that specifically cater to those who have a need to lean on a crutch of racial/ethnic superiority to get through their day? Over the past month, I have chosen not to weigh-in on other recently created minority intellectual inferiority themed threads and mostly stayed away from such discussions. Doing so, however, has become increasingly difficult, as these threads are essentially all that remains of the CD Baltimore forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore