Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 05:48 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
Make sure you visit an area you're considering living both during the day and at night. Many peripheral neighborhoods in the city have a significant shift in daytime vs night time character.
Second.

Although, this is good advice for any new town or city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:31 PM

1,973 posts, read 6,806,163 times
Default The Wire

You may be too young to have seen The Wire on Beeb. It aired about midnight because of the content. It accurately depicts one Baltimore. But there are several others. In fact, several mayors have protested that the series gives a wrong impression of Baltimore.

I am from Europe originally and have lived in Baltimore since 1969. In my job I had to be in all kinds of neighborhoods at all hours. Once I did an article about a fad in black bars on Sunday mornings: Gospel disco with blind singers! So I have been in all kinds of areas under all kinds of conditions and nothing bad has ever happened to me. A bit of common sense goes a long way. I never leave anything in the open in the car because visible stuff is an invitation to break-in.

Generally speaking, bad things happen if you ask for them. Always be aware of your surroundings; don't stroll around at night alone or even in pairs. If you go into drug neighborhoods, bad things will happen to you, regardless of whether you are a user or not.

Your choice of neighborhood makes all the difference. Study, and when you get here, visit. Day and night to get an impression about a specific place you might consider as a place to stay.

I lived decades in the inner city -- from Mount Vernon to Bolton Hill to Union Square. We now live just within the city limits in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. When we moved in, I went to walk my dog that night and kept bumping into a citizens' patrol car. Finally it dawned upon me that it was following me! (So I would have no hestitation to walk in my neighborhood at any hour).

Good luck. Any specific questions, just yell. But also keep on reading past posts. Some advice on this board may be sound.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Racial tensions

If your question was about racial tension vs. safety and crime, then the answer is complex. Yes, there is tension and alienation that is reflected in high numbers of homicides. However, fatal shooting victims usually are not white.

While work places are integrated, much social life is pretty segregated still.

Many posts here paint Baltimore in the darkest possible colors. I find this town quite livable and pretty affordable, certainly by European standards. Lots of unhappy people but so do lots of people who would not want to live anywhere else.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:11 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times
[
Wow! You came to Baltimore the same year I was born and right after the 1968 right? I'm curious to ask you some questions if possible?

"In fact, several mayors have protested that the series gives a wrong impression of Baltimore."
*Former Mayor Shelia Dixon was pretty vocal about The Wire being filmed here.

quote=barante;36921533]You may be too young to have seen The Wire on Beeb. It aired about midnight because of the content. It accurately depicts one Baltimore. But there are several others. In fact, several mayors have protested that the series gives a wrong impression of Baltimore.

I am from Europe originally and have lived in Baltimore since 1969. In my job I had to be in all kinds of neighborhoods at all hours. Once I did an article about a fad in black bars on Sunday mornings: Gospel disco with blind singers! So I have been in all kinds of areas under all kinds of conditions and nothing bad has ever happened to me. A bit of common sense goes a long way. I never leave anything in the open in the car because visible stuff is an invitation to break-in.

Generally speaking, bad things happen if you ask for them. Always be aware of your surroundings; don't stroll around at night alone or even in pairs. If you go into drug neighborhoods, bad things will happen to you, regardless of whether you are a user or not.

Your choice of neighborhood makes all the difference. Study, and when you get here, visit. Day and night to get an impression about a specific place you might consider as a place to stay.

I lived decades in the inner city -- from Mount Vernon to Bolton Hill to Union Square. We now live just within the city limits in an Orthodox Jewish neighborhood. When we moved in, I went to walk my dog that night and kept bumping into a citizens' patrol car. Finally it dawned upon me that it was following me! (So I would have no hestitation to walk in my neighborhood at any hour).

Good luck. Any specific questions, just yell. But also keep on reading past posts. Some advice on this board may be sound.[/quote]

Old 10-17-2014, 09:14 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barante View Post
If your question was about racial tension vs. safety and crime, then the answer is complex. Yes, there is tension and alienation that is reflected in high numbers of homicides. However, fatal shooting victims usually are not white.

While work places are integrated, much social life is pretty segregated still.

Many posts here paint Baltimore in the darkest possible colors. I find this town quite livable and pretty affordable, certainly by European standards. Lots of unhappy people but so do lots of people who would not want to live anywhere else.

They paint it dark because it is dark...especially in these Black ghettoes (and not talking about skin complexion either). Things are really messed up for Black folks in Baltimore and I don't things improving.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,136 times
Thanks everyone, this sounds much more sensible than the hysterical ramblings on 'NEVER GOING TO BALTIMORE' than I have found so far.

We had been looking to stay in the Inner Harbor/ Harbor East area as that seemed the most touristy so I related that to being the most safe, do you think that is the case? The area is very close to my fiance's workplace (I would be finding a job once I get out there).

Old 10-18-2014, 07:10 AM

Default Don't worry, be happy

Swirledme -- Go for it.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 AM

478 posts, read 809,231 times
If you're deciding between inner harbor, which i think of as more the area along Pratt Street and the south end of downtown, vs Harbor East, I'd suggest leaning towards Harbor east. You have immediate walking access to a grocery store (whole foods), gym (maryland athletic club), multiple good places to eat etc. I think it's also a little safer at night. The immediate inner harbor area isn't bad, but I think Harbor east offers better QOL at least as far as convenience goes.

The actual downtown area (area with the tall buildings) of Baltimore is somewhat less safe at night, and honestly doesn't offer as much in the way of dining/amenities as more peripheral neighborhoods like Harbor East and Fells. Alot of offices buildings, courthouses, etc.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:30 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,090,877 times
Hi Swirledme,

Welcome to the forum. You found the right place to ask this question which will best answered with precision. Some of us are natives, some of us transplants, but as a forum we have at least someone from each side of the city. I'm from southwest Baltimore but am now living over east. Some of us will tell you bluntly about the crime of the city. We are not trying to push you away from being a resident here because believe me, we need people like you in our city. But we can't tell you with a straight face that its rainbows and unicorns here. Here is what to know:

Baltimore city has one of the highest percentages of African Americans in the country. The city is about 68% African American and is home to two of the eight historical black colleges in the United States. This is not to project racism but to clearly warn you as a white male you will be a minority in this city. This might and probably will make an uncomfortable transition from England. In this city, you will experience the devastating historical effects of racial tension and white flight. Poverty, blight, even lawlessness is evident (dirt bikes on the road, watch out). African American culture is deeply imbedded in Baltimores culture which can be interesting and different if your open.

So we talk about crime. There is one indisputable fact that everyone will agree too. Statically, you as an individual have a higher chance to be a victim of a crime in baltimore than other cities in the country. However, you can live your whole life here and not a thing can happen to you. The drug scene will not effect you personally as long as you stay out of it. Robberies and burglaries are the highest risk for you in the city. Again, it may never happen but living in a nice neighborhood does not prevent these crimes. Now I totally recommended that you live in a good neighborhood but this does give you immunity, makes sense? From experience, upper park heights seems to have very little crime as opposed to wealthy areas like Roland Park where robberies and burglaries occur quit often these days. Not to discourage you again but the risks are simply increased.

That being said racial tension is still evident in this city. Many neighborhoods are segregated by race and to the point where parts of baltimore have poor white neighborhoods. I believe ignorance and acceptance is the culprit. I went to a birthday party of a friends last week and a little girl said " Mommy what's this white man doing here?". I also went to a basketball court and was asked " Are y'all about to play volleyball?" You catch my drift? The white community tends to view the black community with low morals and crime as the black community feels the white community oppresses them and judges them unfairly. You will experience this in parts of the city. Proof is in the pudding when your counties race population is double than the cities.

With all being said. Welcome to Baltimore, enjoy the downtown living and don't worry. Take it day by day and learn from the locals the ropes of the city. Ask us for advice on certain neighborhoods. We won't steer you wrong.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:36 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirledme View Post
Thanks everyone, this sounds much more sensible than the hysterical ramblings on 'NEVER GOING TO BALTIMORE' than I have found so far.

We had been looking to stay in the Inner Harbor/ Harbor East area as that seemed the most touristy so I related that to being the most safe, do you think that is the case? The area is very close to my fiance's workplace (I would be finding a job once I get out there).
Harbor East is nice.

Baltimore is an American city, and like a lot of American cities there is crime. Baltimore has more poverty and more drug addicts than usual which means it has more crime than what is typical for cities in this country. If you live in a nice area your biggest worry is petty crime as in street robberies, perhaps car break ins. Live in a nice neighborhood and apply street smarts and you should be fine.

Despite the higher than usual crime rate, most people live uneventful lives here.

If you decide you want to buy or sell drugs, and venture to places where drug are bought or sold in the streets then you are on your own.

Once you get your bearings around here it is a lot of fun IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore