Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 01:06 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,664 times

Advertisements

So it appears Ellicott City is a great place to live between DC and Baltimore? As much as I love city living I just don't care for Baltimore from what I have experienced. I wouldn't mind living in the burbs and would love to be between DC and Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 01:22 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
Coming out of DC, I can't see any other city outside of maybe Manhattan that equals it. There are too many old Baltimore politicians who want to keep the city from actually growing to where it needs to be. You still have that blue collar mentality that doesn't want to much change, too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
So it appears Ellicott City is a great place to live between DC and Baltimore? As much as I love city living I just don't care for Baltimore from what I have experienced. I wouldn't mind living in the burbs and would love to be between DC and Baltimore.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:41 PM

89 posts, read 208,102 times
You should look at Bolton Hill and Mt Vernon. Very nice neighborhoods that might be more your speed and close to Penn Station so you can easily take the MARC down to DC.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:07 PM

1,539 posts, read 2,304,025 times
Quote:
Ellicott City is definitely closer to Baltimore, and a bit further from DC vs Columbia. Check it out on a map though, your distance tolerance and mine may be two different things

Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,509,915 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard Columbia is nice. I wouldn't be against surburbia as the places I've bee to in Baltimore don't interest me and this includes the Inner Harbor. I'd be working about 6 miles north of the harbor actually. What sections of Baltimore are similar to NW such as Dupont or Goergetown? I currently live on the water in DC and I love it. Is the Inner Harbor really that nice? I'm guessing the people in Baltimore aren't as douchy as DC and I've heard the dating scene is better because of that. Again, all generalizations I've heard.
Six miles north of the harbor puts you near Towson at the City/County line. I'm not sure why you would want to live south of the city. The Roland Park area is very nice but lacks great walkability. Charles Village has better walkability but has more urban problems (but isn't crazy.) I commuted from Charles Village to Towson for years. Piece of cake! There really isn't anyplace in Baltimore like Dupont or Georgetown. You can probably get closest to that in some of the southeast neighborhoods or in Mount Vernon (except it lacks the big money.)

Old 11-20-2014, 06:32 AM

6 posts, read 6,719 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I've heard Columbia is nice. I wouldn't be against surburbia as the places I've bee to in Baltimore don't interest me and this includes the Inner Harbor. I'd be working about 6 miles north of the harbor actually. What sections of Baltimore are similar to NW such as Dupont or Goergetown? I currently live on the water in DC and I love it. Is the Inner Harbor really that nice? I'm guessing the people in Baltimore aren't as douchy as DC and I've heard the dating scene is better because of that. Again, all generalizations I've heard.
Consider Fells Point (south of Eastern Ave), Bolton Hill, and Mount Vernon. Fells has your water views and an extremely old-town feel, as does Mt. Vernon. Bolton Hill is just a beautiful neighborhood.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:50 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Six miles north of the harbor puts you near Towson at the City/County line. I'm not sure why you would want to live south of the city. The Roland Park area is very nice but lacks great walkability. Charles Village has better walkability but has more urban problems (but isn't crazy.) I commuted from Charles Village to Towson for years. Piece of cake! There really isn't anyplace in Baltimore like Dupont or Georgetown. You can probably get closest to that in some of the southeast neighborhoods or in Mount Vernon (except it lacks the big money.)
Without the big money nor as tony of an aesthetic, I would assume Mount Vernon=Dupont Circle and Fells Point=Georgetown.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:17 PM

52 posts, read 109,537 times
If you're looking for somewhere with the vibe and energy of NW DC, I think you might get bored with Columbia. I'd say probably look IN Baltimore. Maybe Federal Hill, Fells Point/Canton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore