Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 PM
SiC SiC started this thread

2 posts, read 4,874 times

Advertisements

Well,

I will be visiting Baltimore in about one month. I'm interested in taking photos of Sparrows Point, but I was wondering whether roads have restrictions, or if I should just scratch Sparrows Point off of my list if it's not accessible.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
It's private property and you won't be able to enter it, but it's so massive that there are a few views that would be good to photograph from afar.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:26 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Not cheap, but if you can get on a boat, you can really see the scope of the place. It's quite the site right now... enormous, ugly and a huge reminder of a failed American Industry. The sooner they can demolish it the better now in my opinion. Soon it will likely be a huge expansion of the Port of Baltimore which is doing really great right now and the land will be remediated to be better for the Chesapeake Bay.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM

342 posts, read 1,554,623 times
Yep, a boat is your best shot,or, visit Fort Armistead park in the evening across the water for a long shot of the overall plant.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
Uhm, not to encourage bad behavior, but security has been practically nil at Sparrows Point for many years. I never had any problem driving up to and onto the site just to poke around. Let's face it, unless you have a crane and some railcars, there's not that much you're going to be able to tote away.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
It's quite the site right now... enormous, ugly and a huge reminder of a failed American Industry.
_______
The "shipyard" as locals called it was quite successful for many years, employing vast numbers of east and south Baltimoreans as well as folks from Dundalk, Essex, and AA County. It was a real boon to B'mo's economy.

So if by "failed" you mean that nothing lasts forever, then yes I agree that it has failed.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:40 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Uhm, not to encourage bad behavior, but security has been practically nil at Sparrows Point for many years. I never had any problem driving up to and onto the site just to poke around. Let's face it, unless you have a crane and some railcars, there's not that much you're going to be able to tote away.
I don't imagine you made it through any of the gatehouses without a pass; security these days is a little more hard-nosed I think. One used to be able to drive through the place between the steelmaking side and the finishing side on Tin Mill Road to Shipyard road but the current owner has put up an additional gatehouse by the police station to prevent this.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 PM
SiC SiC started this thread

2 posts, read 4,874 times
Well, that sucks. :/

Are there any other places similar to Sparrows point that you can get reasonably close to? I don't need to like go up and hug the buildings, etc., but I'd like to be able to take photos without needing my 1200mm lens. lol

Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
_______
The "shipyard" as locals called it was quite successful for many years, employing vast numbers of east and south Baltimoreans as well as folks from Dundalk, Essex, and AA County. It was a real boon to B'mo's economy.

So if by "failed" you mean that nothing lasts forever, then yes I agree that it has failed.
Yes. It went from 30,000 employees to zero with their equipment being scrapped. The industry crashed and burned and cities like Pittsburgh and Youngstown were hit the hardest. Luckily for Bmore they can turn it into a port and get thousands of new jobs and spinoff businesses. It won't happen overnight though.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:06 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiC View Post
Well, that sucks. :/

Are there any other places similar to Sparrows point that you can get reasonably close to? I don't need to like go up and hug the buildings, etc., but I'd like to be able to take photos without needing my 1200mm lens. lol
If you follow Bethlehem Boulevard and go to the end of Peninsula Expressway in Dundalk where it meets Beth Blvd you are practically next to some of the buildings. And you can actually go into the property until you get to a gatehouse where you have to turn around. You can also drive down North Point Boulevard until you reach the "Private Property" sign and turn around there. I ended up in that area once when I made a wrong turn. Also drove there to see the "Star of Bethlehem" that was mentioned in the Baltimore Sun it was the last Christmas where it was lit up now the factory is closed thanks to Martin O'Malley's policies and taxes.

You can also get a decent view from Interstate 695.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore