Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 10:39 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times

Advertisements

So I received one notice from the Baltimore City Assessment Office dated 26 December 2014 that assigns one reassessment value to my house.

Yesterday I received a second notice dated 30 January 2015 that assigns another, much higher reassessment value to my house.

We're talking about a $30,000 difference here over three years, which means a lot of property tax money.

Anyone have this happen to them, or have a comment or suggestion. Obviously I'll be appealing the second reassessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 03:33 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
or have a comment or suggestion..
Tax revenues have to be raised to fund government services. The mechanisms by which those taxes are collected are somewhat arbitrary. I imagine that if property values had experienced a perennial downturn, then either the tax rate would be raised to compensate or another collection vehicle (e.g. transfer tax, sales tax, etc.) would be used to make-up the difference. I choose not to sweat changes in assessment and resulting taxes, given that I know government will get its revenue one way or another.

If it makes you feel better: imagine happy children with new library books, or the street cleaning vehicles leaving your memories of a trashy Baltimore so far in the past that you can barely remember. It’s all because of you and your sacrifice.

EDIT: Also, the higher taxes amount to less than $70/month. Our children are worth so much more.

Last edited by picardlx; 02-03-2015 at 04:00 PM..

Old 02-03-2015, 03:58 PM

696 posts, read 907,023 times
Quote:
So I received one notice from the Baltimore City Assessment Office dated 26 December 2014 that assigns one reassessment value to my house.

Yesterday I received a second notice dated 30 January 2015 that assigns another, much higher reassessment value to my house.

We're talking about a $30,000 difference here over three years, which means a lot of property tax money.

Anyone have this happen to them, or have a comment or suggestion. Obviously I'll be appealing the second reassessment.
Call the assessor's office and request an explanation. If the first assessment missed some improvement such as extra bathroom, that would explain it. The clock is probably running on the amount of time you have to appeal the assesment so haste is advisable.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:32 PM

850 posts, read 1,132,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Tax revenues have to be raised to fund government services. The mechanisms by which those taxes are collected are somewhat arbitrary. I imagine that if property values had experienced a perennial downturn, then either the tax rate would be raised to compensate or another collection vehicle (e.g. transfer tax, sales tax, etc.) would be used to make-up the difference. I choose not to sweat changes in assessment and resulting taxes, given that I know government will get its revenue one way or another.

If it makes you feel better: imagine happy children with new library books, or the street cleaning vehicles leaving your memories of a trashy Baltimore so far in the past that you can barely remember. It’s all because of you and your sacrifice.

EDIT: Also, the higher taxes amount to less than $70/month. Our children are worth so much more.
Correct!!!

When my property in Baltimore got a tax assessment it went form 150K to 127 or something. I was thinking wow I'll pay less taxes next year. NO, they increased the cost per sq foot to offset. It's all just a bunch of B.S.

And you know your money is going to all the rift raft of the city (methadone clinics, homeless people etc.). They waste your money more than you do.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:44 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:

Well, I disagree that taxes MUST be raised to fund the government. Cutting spending is another option. $70 a month is $840 per year, not insignificant.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:02 PM

179 posts, read 356,299 times
Quote:
Well, I disagree that taxes MUST be raised to fund the government. Cutting spending is another option. $70 a month is $840 per year, not insignificant.
It's amazing how many people want roads, highways, lights, police, fire department, ambulance, and a free education but are unwilling to pay for it.

I'm all for cutting spending, or better yet NOT spend the TRILLIONS that were wasted on wars overseas. All that money could've been a great tax cut/refund, or improvements in every other sector of our children's education.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:19 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
How about the trillions wasted by the rude, incompetent, thieves that masquerade as local government officials?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:17 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,327 times
Baltimore has some serious tax department issues...trust me. You buy a house in 2013, and out of nowhere they stick you with a $2500 partial year tax bill from 2013 you've never seen before. Don't worry though, you do have 18 days to pay it or have your house sold in a tax sale.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:28 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
Quote:

If you think that that is where the increase tax monies will go, you are very niave and exactly the kind of voter politicians love.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 AM

386 posts, read 655,709 times
Quote:

Streets can be cleaned and new books can be shelved without increases in taxes....all the government has to do is stop lineing their pockets and siphoning off money for stuff it was not intended for. Please dont use kids books or clean streets to justify government taxing us to hell oh and you say its less then $70 a month but to some people thats alot. Some people are already struggling enough already that an extra bit of taxes for no improvement or change in government services is a slap in the face. The extra money they will now get from people are not going to make the streets any cleaner and our kids are still going to be reading old books....

Moral of the story dont try to mask the government trying to take more money as if its going to equate even remotely to increased services or amenities provided. Nanny wants some more dough and people will bend over and let Nanny take it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: