Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 08:36 AM

20 posts, read 37,738 times

Advertisements

I'm moving a family of 4 to Central Maryland from Northern Virginia. We are looking for a SFH or townhouse under 600, within 30 min to Ft. Meade but also not insanely far from DC in case I have to go down there for meetings or conferences. Good public schools and safety are essential (have 2 toddlers). Areas we've looked at are Crofton, Odenton, and Millersville. We weren't that impressed. I suppose we were expecting it to be less rural and blue-collar, but it seems that Maryland is just more rural than NoVA. I grew up in the suburbs of California so we lean towards that type of neighborhood vs areas with older homes and huge plots of land. Nothing wrong with lots of land, but we don't like older homes that look like they'd be on the set of Walking Dead. We may now explore Ellicott City, parts of Columbia, Maple Lawn in Fulton, Severna Park... Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 09:34 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzagenius View Post
but we don't like older homes that look like they'd be on the set of Walking Dead. We may now explore Ellicott City, parts of Columbia, Maple Lawn in Fulton, Severna Park... Thoughts?
Those are reasonable choices, but don't expect anything to look like California. In my opinion, Maple Lawn is hugely over-priced and synthetic, but you may like it. Parts of Columbia look old and dated now, but you may be OK in the $600K price range. New communities in Ellicott City may be OK too, and I would add Clarksville and Marriotsville to your list. Most of Severna Park is older, but many people like it.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:12 AM

233 posts, read 318,239 times
We may now explore Ellicott City, parts of Columbia, Maple Lawn in Fulton, Severna Park... Thoughts?-

EXACTLY! These would have been my first recommendations.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:28 AM

Yea I know we can't expect anything to look like California. I've been in the DMV long enough to accept that. My reluctance with some areas like Severna Park is that it appears that the major roads for commuting aren't very major, resulting in some crazy commutes if there's even a minor accident. I still can't get used to these 2-lane highways as the only option to get from Point A to Point B.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:40 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
You're on the right track with the areas you'd like to explore next. We chose Ellicott City for our family when we pcs'd here a few years ago. I have a feeling Columbia may be your speed. I'd also recommend you put Elkridge and Arnold on your list.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback. We will be open to the areas you all mentioned.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:09 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,442 times
Had this in my inbox today. Note, availability in MoCo = good schools. It's just south of 198 and west of 95 on Old Gunpowder Rd.

Quote:
[CENTER]Only FIVE Homesites Remain at Bentley Park in Prince George's County! Offering the most affordable single family homes in Maryland's premiere location, from the $490s. [/CENTER]
This is your final opportunity to own a single-family home from the area's #1 builder on the Prince George's side of Bentley Park. Montgomery County homesites are also available.
  • Bentley Park offers picturesque pond views, a sparkling swimming pool, impressive clubhouse and scenic parks
  • Easy access to I-95, the ICC and only a mile away from the upcoming Konterra Town Center
  • Located mid-way between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, just 20 minutes from BWI Airport
  • Homes feature a brick front and stoop, with carriage-style garage door
  • Luxury choices included in each home
  • Save up to 30% on your energy costs each month with our BuiltSmart program and enjoy a 10-year structural warranty*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore