Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 07:33 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I have been all over NYC & Philly for work and leisure and I have yet to see a dirt bike in either of those cities. I don't think the mayor of Philadelphia would put up with it. As for DiBlasio, it is a coin toss as to what his stance would be.
Really? You think filthy Philly has it's act together? Lol..

Dirt Bike riding is very popular on the east coast. Baltimore is not the only city in america dealing w/illegal activities.

Police are chasing dirt bike riders in West Philly, Hyde Park Boston MA, Harlem NY, Wilmington DE, Cleveland OH and many other urban environments. This is not new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 07:37 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,105,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post

Dirt Bike riding is very popular on the east coast. Baltimore is not the only city in america dealing w/illegal activities.

Police are chasing dirt bike riders in West Philly, Hyde Park Boston MA, Harlem NY, Wilmington DE, Cleveland OH and many other urban environments. This is not new.

The mayor of Philly, Michael Nutter, has his act together more than any mayor Baltimore has had in the past 35 years. The streets of Philly are as clean as a hospital compared to the filthy streets of Baltimore. He also quickly put an end to gangs of wilding youths in Center City East.

I have never seen a dirt bike in Center City, South Philly, Southwest Philly, Northeast Philly, East Falls, not even North Philly.

The response to this post will be that I have something personal against the mayor of Baltimore, followed by a "smh".

Old 07-11-2015, 08:15 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
I thought dirt bikes were the province of rural youth and middle class suburbs' dwellers who take them "off road."

Shows you how far out of the loop I have been the past 30 years.

I wonder how poor urbanites can afford them unless they've been "lifted."

But then again it amazed me when learning that people who couldn't allegedly feed their families have kiddos wearing uber-expensive basketball shoes. They all seem to have cell phones too but I guess they got them from Comrade Dear Leader.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:20 AM

926 posts, read 1,256,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
The mayor of Philly, Michael Nutter, has his act together more than any mayor Baltimore has had in the past 35 years. The streets of Philly are as clean as a hospital compared to the filthy streets of Baltimore. He also quickly put an end to gangs of wilding youths in Center City East.

I have never seen a dirt bike in Center City, South Philly, Southwest Philly, Northeast Philly, East Falls, not even North Philly.

The response to this post will be that I have something personal against the mayor of Baltimore, followed by a "smh".
It's not secret you can't stand the mayor of Baltimore. Funny thing is neither can I. Bet you didn't know that.

You're not going to see a dirt bike in Center City. We both know that. I used to live in Center City (Highrise on 22nd and Chestnut). Spend many days/nights in N. Philly (31st and 32nd St). Dirt Bike riders there. I'm related to some. I don't know what neighborhood(s) you're hanging in. You don't even have to take my word for it. Just Google.

http://6abc.com/news/police-respond-...l-ride/359897/

Old 07-11-2015, 12:02 PM

675 posts, read 724,127 times
People who are justifying the use of dirt bike are probably the same ones whose children are being locked up for other crimes as well. It is not only illegal to ride dirt bikes without a license it's dangerous. I drove a motor cycle for years and loved it but I never felt a need to do wheelies every ten feet.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:02 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,093,332 times
If the dirt bikers didn't feel they need to pop wheelies on the wrong side of the road, block traffic on purpose to allow drug cars with rims through like a parade or just simply risking my vehicle on the road, then I probably would tolerate it a little more.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:52 AM

8,245 posts, read 13,364,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I disagree. We don't see derby races in the streets elsewhere. Do we see stock car races in the streets in other areas? Or even dirt bike races in city streets where motor cross is popular? We can't assume that providing venues as an outlet will fail simply because of current behaviors. The current behaviors we see are the CAUSE of NOT having the controlled outlets.

As far as having a place to practice, there could be an ancillary track/tracks where they can practice. Kids are in the street ONLY because there is NO WHERE ELSE to go. Therefore the streets are their venue.

This is not rocket science. I'm sure if the city sat down with them and asked them what they needed, there could be positive outcomes. I don't think Baltimore is being creative enough. It has gotten used to vilifying any activities that youths find an outlet in.

No one sat and thought, "Hmmm. Maybe we have something here. Baltimore could be host to a majority or even the first African American motor cross team." Nope. The first thought is chase the bikers around like they are violent criminals. Sometimes cities create their own problems.

My ideas may be pie in the sky but there are success stories where someone took interest in youth and produced startling results that don't take a police force to obtain.

Police could easily catch a stock car vs a dirt bike. Most people that flee Police in a car will get caught. Cars have license plates and can be traced or may get stopped in route to the race without proper tags and insurance. People used to drag race on I-70 spur from the Beltway into the City not to mention that fixing a car up after a crash is way more expensive than a couple hundred on a dirt bike.

I get what you are saying..Unfortunately in Baltimore there are no easy answers.. If you have seen the movie 12'oclock boys.. you can see some of the people supporting these guys are what I would consider to be older adults.. They drive the trucks with the trailer hitches and hide the bikes and the riders when the police come.. Why dont these "adults" come forward and proffer some of the same solutions that you are offering or organize a "sit down" with City Officials to come up with the solutions? YOu mention that the City should come up with ideas.. I would turn it around and say the dirt bike community should proffer ideas. If they are not comfortable in approaching the City for fear of being arrested.. then work through an intermediary such as your community association, a riders parent, church group etc.. Because that hasnt happened.. to my knowledge... along with the riders brazen behaviors.. they will be viewed as criminals and a problem instead of kids simply letting off steam....

People mentioned skate parks and what not.. older skateboarders, former skateboarders, and their parents came forward to advocate for their population and thus skate parks were created. Even if the dirt bike riders come forward and begin to advocate on their own behalf.. there would have to be assurances made that if the park is built that people would USE it and curtail the activities on the street.. That would require self policing from the riders themselves and peer to peer pressure..

Old 07-14-2015, 07:35 AM

390 posts, read 506,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
And THIS is why Baltimore has not changed. Cynicism and a defeatist attitude. Sure, let's lock them all up because we all know each generation will never count for ****.
No, it's people like you who don't know sh.t about the subcultures, such as City Dirtbiking and Streetracing. I used to streetrace. We blast through city streets at 100+ MPH. I've hit 160 on the highways regularly. And there's like 5 drag racing tracks in the area. Dirtbikes aren't just a little problem like skateboarding where you can build a Skatepark. You build a dirt bike stadium and that will just increase the interest in more hoodlums getting dirtbikes and riding them all over when the stadium closes.

Quote:
Who said it had to be taxpayer money? We sit and watch Baltimore suffer on TV and shake our heads, but if none of the wealthiest people in the country or state give a damn (because God forbid I should have to take my millions and do good with it) why should the city? Like I said, if I had the money, I'd get it started and run it as a non-profit.
You're damn clueless and probably don't have more than $5000 in your bank account I bet. WTF do you know about making money? These Bmore HOODLUMS are riding on mostly stolen bikes and they only cost like $300-1500 new, to begin with....because they can't afford real sportsbikes. Motorsports is expensive as fack. The motor alone on my race car, cost $8000. Then there's $10k into the supercharger. All of this plus a lot more, on top of a car. You think that the ghettorats of Bmore on these Pep Boys dirtbikes can even afford just the necessary safety equipment. How much money do poor people have for some businessman to make money from? Who the fack is going to invest millions of dollars of their own money into building a stadium for BROKEASS ghetto people who likes to burn down their own city?

Quote:
Oh, by the way, keep spending your tax money on incarceration and patrolling kids on bikes.
Actually no...I'd rather see less of them incarcerated so that they burn down Bmore some more so I can watch it on live TV.

Quote:
Question, has there been any attempt, other than chasing the kids around in cops cars causing injury and death, to channel the love of dirt bikes? Any? Just round 'em up and take their bikes right? yeah. That will keep them from doing other things that are more annoying than riding down the street.
You're just clueless and don't know squat about these subcultures. I already told you many times that it's fun to break traffic laws and do WTF you want riding around, popping wheelies and terrorizing motorists. This is part of the excitement. What part do you not understand when I told you many times already, that hoodrats can't even come close to afford just the safety equipment, let alone the secondary vehicles required to transport their illegal dirtbikes to such retarded stadium in your stupid fantasy.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:54 AM

390 posts, read 506,549 times
If you want the cops to stop these Dirtbikers.....you know that this would require that they round them up and beat the living effing crap out of them on a regular basis right? Oh noes....another Freddie Gray(s)? Lets burn what's left of Bmore up, no one would know the difference.

Otherwise, how else would you get your quiet streets back? Tell me. Make a list.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:45 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,093,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
If you want the cops to stop these Dirtbikers.....you know that this would require that they round them up and beat the living effing crap out of them on a regular basis right? Oh noes....another Freddie Gray(s)? Lets burn what's left of Bmore up, no one would know the difference.

Otherwise, how else would you get your quiet streets back? Tell me. Make a list.
Years of the lack of police initiative inBaltimore paved the ground for dirt bike use in the city. Now we have to back peddle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore