Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 02:22 PM

850 posts, read 1,132,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
Well it's not the BPD's fault, unless you think that they want to lessen their take home paycheck for fun, by not using funds available to keep it open during said time.
LMFAO

Oh my god. Good old corruption at work.

Wait until SD gets in office, they will get free gift cards.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 04:33 PM

389 posts, read 427,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
Don't laugh or cry. Let the blacks police themselves. No matter what the police do they will complain. Should we just let them kill one another ? I guess. Should we just let them OD ? I guess. If I was a police officer in Baltimore City I would be looking for a job elsewhere. Maybe they will do what they did in New Orleans. They got rid of their so called leaders and crime improved.
The guy who wrote the article about the mugging is white though.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:57 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,476,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
The guy who wrote the article about the mugging is white though.
Why should facts matter?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:21 AM

55 posts, read 68,233 times
Even though I am very pro-union, I have a feeling that this lack of direction and indifference towards crime is coming from the top levels of their organization in the city.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:56 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynplm View Post
Even though I am very pro-union, I have a feeling that this lack of direction and indifference towards crime is coming from the top levels of their organization in the city.
Some argue (with merit) that stat based policing (as ushered in by O'Malley as mayor - who burned thru 4 commissioners) was the demise of the BPD (now that jackwagon is trying to trade on his time as mayor in a presidential bid..., lowering crime by manipulating stats - lying). Leadership has to change/improve before rank&file can.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:48 PM

390 posts, read 506,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpark View Post
Some argue (with merit) that stat based policing (as ushered in by O'Malley as mayor - who burned thru 4 commissioners) was the demise of the BPD (now that jackwagon is trying to trade on his time as mayor in a presidential bid..., lowering crime by manipulating stats - lying). Leadership has to change/improve before rank&file can.
O'Malley let the Cops beat down the criminals and enforce the law with an iron hand. This is similar what has worked in NYC and seemed to also worked in Bmore. What Bmore have now, are neutered cops who are scared to be proactive. Good luck with it.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:40 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,457,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSone View Post
O'Malley let the Cops beat down the criminals and enforce the law with an iron hand. This is similar what has worked in NYC and seemed to also worked in Bmore. What Bmore have now, are neutered cops who are scared to be proactive. Good luck with it.
Keep in mind that that we cannot arrest our way out of social problems - drug addiction, poverty, broken homes. The US already incarcerates more than any other country - how's that working for us? Frankly, I'd end the War on Drugs - its a failure, even many cops think so - just look at their group LEAP. The best recent success in Baltimore crime reduction was Bealefield under Dixon focusing on violent repeat offenders.

So that above is the stick approach, but you need the carrot as well, things for these folks to do so they do not pursue criminal activity. But in Baltimore, a city horribly fiscally mismanaged, it all mush begin with audits (of every agency) because the is town has a lot of money flowing thru it, but not a lot of results, yet they keep asking for more and no one knows where it is going. There cannot be accountability w/o audits and we as citizens and taxpayers deserve better than that.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:31 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,121 times
Quote:
Frankly, I'd end the War on Drugs - its a failure, even many cops think so - just look at their group LEAP.
I agree. Ending this nonsense would help places like Baltimore City greatly, at least in the long run.

The only lasting consequence of prohibition (of alcohol) is the lasting presence of organized crime.

Speaking of prohibition, I remember hearing that the State of Maryland more or less refused to enforce the Volstead Act, telling the Feds to have at it without any State help. I don't know how true this is, but it's an interesting idea . . .

Old 07-11-2015, 10:56 PM

934 posts, read 1,063,433 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that that we cannot arrest our way out of social problems - drug addiction, poverty, broken homes. The US already incarcerates more than any other country - how's that working for us? Frankly, I'd end the War on Drugs - its a failure, even many cops think so - just look at their group LEAP. The best recent success in Baltimore crime reduction was Bealefield under Dixon focusing on violent repeat offenders.
100% agree.

A great video on the topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaPBcUUqbew

Old 07-11-2015, 11:57 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,724 times
A++ on ending the war on drugs, particularly here in Baltimore City-that was truly the only logical idea hizzoner Kurt Schmoke ever had.
I'm not surprised the cop shop was closed, after nearly 25 years here, nothing really phases me about Baltimore any longer.
Nor am I surprised about the various BPD officers' lack of interest or concern about actually doing their jobs and helping a citizen. The cops here are corrupt, lazy, unprofessional, violent scum who exist solely to live out their own violent cowboy fantasies, collect a paycheck, and wait on their retirement bennies-my interactions with them have proven that to me time and time again: and I am speaking as a middle-aged, married, middle-class white man, not in any way involved with crime or the drug trade. I shudder to think what the poor black folks go through daily.
I've learned that it is useless to bother the BPD with calls about anything less than multiple homicides. Just tonight, my 911 call reporting gunshots a few doors down brought no police response. The 911 operator did ask if it were OK for the cops to stop by my house-a dead giveaway to criminals-I said yes with no worries, feeling sure they wouldn't show. They didn't.
A new commissioner? Sure, why not? They only average about 2 years on the job anyway. Got rid of the last one because he was even more incompetent than most, the mayor needed a riots scapegoat to blame, and hell, he'd already been canned from his last two gigs, right? The one before that was shown the door because he was white, he was from the Baltimore rank and file, what he was doing seemed to be working (which involved arresting mostly black repeat violent offenders), and mayor SRB wanted to erase all vestiges of her predecessor.
I've known personally and worked with many BPD officers. To a one they have all been bitter, angry people who hated their jobs, the City, and the citizens of Baltimore. The BPD mindset is entrenched and beyond dysfunctional. I don't see it getting any better any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: