Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 10:06 AM

294 posts, read 372,448 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
A friend is visiting tomorrow through Friday (I live in Northern Virginia) and really wants to spend a day up visiting the National Aquarium and Maryland Science Museum (I think that is the name??). During weekdays, does it make more sense to take public transportation up, or drive? I asked for opinions a few weeks back when I was going to an Orioles game on the weekend, and ended up carpooling up. I wasn't sure if the math worked differently on a weekday. I can either drive or take public transportation to work. So I could either lend him my car or my metro card depending on which way makes the most sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 10:58 AM

556 posts, read 946,763 times
I hate driving, so I'm pretty biased in favor of public transit, especially around DC. If it's easy to get to Union Station from your home in DC, then public transit to the aquarium and science center is very easy. Just take MARC from Union station to Baltimore, then take the (free) Circulator purple line bus from Baltimore Penn Station to the Inner Harbor. You probably don't even need to lend him your metro card - it won't work on MARC, and it isn't necessary for the Circulator in DC. Your friend would only need the metro card to get from your home to Union Station and back, and it may be just as well to pay cash for that.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:09 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
I think it's just easier to drive there and park your car in a garage next to the Inner Harbor. I was there this weekend with no problems.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpheels View Post
I hate driving, so I'm pretty biased in favor of public transit, especially around DC. If it's easy to get to Union Station from your home in DC, then public transit to the aquarium and science center is very easy. Just take MARC from Union station to Baltimore, then take the (free) Circulator purple line bus from Baltimore Penn Station to the Inner Harbor. You probably don't even need to lend him your metro card - it won't work on MARC, and it isn't necessary for the Circulator in DC. Your friend would only need the metro card to get from your home to Union Station and back, and it may be just as well to pay cash for that.
Wow, that sounds pretty easy! I can just drop him off on a red line spot in the morning so getting to Union Station is no problem. The MARC shows it is only 55 minutes from Union Station to Penn Station. Not bad. Also, thanks for the tip on the circulator. It looks like, from how the purple route runs, I should tell him to go to the Maryland Science Center first, and then the Aquarium second. Or is the Inner Harbor a small enough area that walking between the two and to whatever else is right there won't be a problem and he only has to worry about getting back in time for the evening MARC?

Old 07-07-2015, 02:46 PM

252 posts, read 425,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Wow, that sounds pretty easy! I can just drop him off on a red line spot in the morning so getting to Union Station is no problem. The MARC shows it is only 55 minutes from Union Station to Penn Station. Not bad. Also, thanks for the tip on the circulator. It looks like, from how the purple route runs, I should tell him to go to the Maryland Science Center first, and then the Aquarium second. Or is the Inner Harbor a small enough area that walking between the two and to whatever else is right there won't be a problem and he only has to worry about getting back in time for the evening MARC?
Take Purple stop 319, Pratt St Inner Harbor or 320, Conway St. Walk from there. Going home, walk to stop 302, Inner Harbor.

Home | Charm City Circulator

Old 07-07-2015, 03:48 PM

537 posts, read 769,261 times
You can walk from the Maryland Science Center to the Aquarium. It's an easy walk just along the harbor, really. I would probably start at the former and end at the latter. I've never been to Maryland Science Center, but the Aquarium is pretty awesome and there's a lot to see.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:57 PM

How long do you think you need to see the Aquarium? He said he'd aim for the 3:45 MARC train back to DC so I can meet him right after work downtown. We are trying to work backwards from there to decide how early he needs to leave. Looks like the MARC runs pretty regularly on weekdays.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:02 PM

537 posts, read 769,261 times
You can blow through it in an hour, but if you really want to check it out, definitely 2 hours minimum.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:43 PM

Hey all, just wanted to check in and say thanks again. My friend did the public transportation thing and had a great time. He said the aquarium was incredibly overpriced for what it was, and was kind of hot under the collar about it, lol. I guess I don't need to take the time to see it myself.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:30 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiplingif View Post
Hey all, just wanted to check in and say thanks again. My friend did the public transportation thing and had a great time. He said the aquarium was incredibly overpriced for what it was, and was kind of hot under the collar about it, lol. I guess I don't need to take the time to see it myself.
Although I enjoyed it the last time I went (I was 11 at the time), the tickets are ridiculously overpriced. I just checked on Ticketmaster and one adult general admission ticket was $39.99! At that price I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore