Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:48 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times

Advertisements

I have no problem giving a helping hand from time to time, although my donations usually go towards a trustworthy organization. If someone washes my windshield, I'll give a dollar. You are at least hustling and what ever you do for that dollar is on you. What I can't stand is being asked for money when I am in a restaurant or take out place, cornering me because I am eating at a table. This is notorious in South West Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:48 AM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Why don't people in safe areas grab some firearms and patrol their own neighborhoods?

We know how that would end up dont we........ Does the name George Zimmerman ring a bell? I can only see armed militia patroling the streets of Roland Park or Guilford and coming into contact with someone.. asking for ID or something and an altercation taking place. There was a similiar incident with Shomrim in NW Baltimore where an young african american male had an altercation with one of its members. It went all the way to court, the Shomrim volunteer being the defendant.. but the case was later dropped...If the Shomrim member had been armed.. I can only imagine what would have happened

Shomrim of Baltimore | Creating a Safe Baltimore Community

I do believe at somepoint.. the Charles Bronsans of Baltimore will emerge and treat us of our own version of Death Wish and vigilante

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJS3lXhwGrY

Old 08-10-2015, 11:28 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1090 View Post
hell, I just got came back from walking down Charles & 22nd then over to Mount Royal tavern.
I got asked for cigarettes about 4x ( I don't even smoke)and spared change 3x. .. That doesn't sound like a big deal.

But it a big deal when they only ask white people. On that way back. I told one guy sorry cant help you. He went onto some rant about being "sorry I cant help him cause he black ". wtf?

This typical everyday nonsense from the black community. White people are seen as target of opportunity.. Its BS
I actually got this in Riverside Park from some black dude on Saturday. Went out with my dog and a book to enjoy the afternoon, was parked with my back against the tree enjoying both. This gentleman (using the term loosely) decided he wanted to yell at me and strike up a conversation. He was on a park bench about 50 feet away from the tree I was at with the dog.

Obviously, I just ignored him and continued reading my book. Of course, he then had to loudly rant on and on for the next 30 minutes about how "white racists" wouldn't say hello to him. How he knew I heard him (which I did) and how my ignoring him was typical of white racists, which were everywhere.

Had I broken my silence, I would have told him the following in no particular order:
  • White racists are not everywhere, contrary to what your liberal politicians have taught you to believe.
  • The fact that you were black isn't why I ignored you.
  • The reason I ignored you is because I wanted to spend time ALONE with MY DOG, reading my book, and not chatting it up with some vagrant.
  • If you are so concerned about white racists, WHY are you hanging out in Riverside Park. There are plenty of majority black neighborhoods for you to go pollute.
So, yeah, dealing with all this white privilege I have isn't something that happens daily in Baltimore. But it is something that comes up more often than I'd like. Crap like that loser happens more than you think. Of course, I'm sure a many of the black people reading the story will now conclude that I was at fault for not responding to his greeting.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:12 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
Come on Bro!? I think you know me better than that now! Equating Mr. Charles "Paul Kersey" Bronsons, George Zimmermans and Bernie Goetzs of the planet as examples of the totality of self protection, preservation and vigilantism.....you're missing MY point. I know about the Shomrim case in Northwest Baltimore, and the over-aggressiveness of young Jews men wanting and needing to protect their families and communities (which personally I have NO problems with). Some of my family grew up in that area, I spent significant time of my life in some of those neighborhoods and know the terrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
We know how that would end up dont we........ Does the name George Zimmerman ring a bell? I can only see armed militia patrolling the streets of Roland Park or Guilford and coming into contact with someone.. asking for ID or something and an altercation taking place. There was a similiar incident with Shomrim in NW Baltimore where an young african american male had an altercation with one of its members. It went all the way to court, the Shomrim volunteer being the defendant.. but the case was later dropped...If the Shomrim member had been armed.. I can only imagine what would have happened

I do believe at somepoint.. the Charles Bronsans of Baltimore will emerge and treat us of our own version of Death Wish and vigilante

Old 08-10-2015, 12:15 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,418,864 times
"..I do believe at some point.. the Charles Bronson of Baltimore will emerge and treat us of our own version of Death Wish and vigilante.."

*Maybe...maybe not!?? Let time be the the signifier on this.

Quote:
We know how that would end up dont we........ Does the name George Zimmerman ring a bell? I can only see armed militia patroling the streets of Roland Park or Guilford and coming into contact with someone.. asking for ID or something and an altercation taking place. There was a similiar incident with Shomrim in NW Baltimore where an young african american male had an altercation with one of its members. It went all the way to court, the Shomrim volunteer being the defendant.. but the case was later dropped...If the Shomrim member had been armed.. I can only imagine what would have happened

Old 08-10-2015, 01:34 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times
Quote:
I'm a big fan of Charles Bronson but it usually doesn't end up well for real vigilantes. Flint, the same kindoff town like Baltimore as far as crime and lawlessness are concerned had a vigilante too and things did not end well for him: Captain Dada.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:48 PM

8,230 posts, read 13,345,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I'm a big fan of Charles Bronson but it usually doesn't end up well for real vigilantes. Flint, the same kindoff town like Baltimore as far as crime and lawlessness are concerned had a vigilante too and things did not end well for him: Captain Dada.

WOW.. did he die? From the looks of the video this was like in the 1980s..not sure what kind of "less lethals" they were using..Looked like they blew him away given how he was knocked off of his feet..... Not to mention that most vigilantes wouldnt duck walk with a shotgun and a cape on towards armed police....

Old 08-10-2015, 01:58 PM

389 posts, read 426,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I actually got this in Riverside Park from some black dude on Saturday. Went out with my dog and a book to enjoy the afternoon, was parked with my back against the tree enjoying both. This gentleman (using the term loosely) decided he wanted to yell at me and strike up a conversation. He was on a park bench about 50 feet away from the tree I was at with the dog.

Obviously, I just ignored him and continued reading my book. Of course, he then had to loudly rant on and on for the next 30 minutes about how "white racists" wouldn't say hello to him. How he knew I heard him (which I did) and how my ignoring him was typical of white racists, which were everywhere.

Had I broken my silence, I would have told him the following in no particular order:
  • White racists are not everywhere, contrary to what your liberal politicians have taught you to believe.
  • The fact that you were black isn't why I ignored you.
  • The reason I ignored you is because I wanted to spend time ALONE with MY DOG, reading my book, and not chatting it up with some vagrant.
  • If you are so concerned about white racists, WHY are you hanging out in Riverside Park. There are plenty of majority black neighborhoods for you to go pollute.
So, yeah, dealing with all this white privilege I have isn't something that happens daily in Baltimore. But it is something that comes up more often than I'd like. Crap like that loser happens more than you think. Of course, I'm sure a many of the black people reading the story will now conclude that I was at fault for not responding to his greeting.
No, you are not at fault (yes I am black). You didn't have an obligation to speak to him. As a teenager (in the early 2000s) I went swimming at the pool there and I've never had any issues with white people. The guy could have been a nutcase (there are way too many of them in Baltimore).

Old 08-10-2015, 02:24 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Typical nonsense from the black community?!! What is the typical behavior of whites in South Baltimore, Pigtown and Dundalk??!! Do you want me to take you on a empirical journey explaining some of the most nastiness, degenerate , mean-spirited criminal ignorance coming from these white neighborhoods. You sound quite ignorant and can attest that you have no idea what you're talking about. What nonsense is that? Most Black folks I know are educated, working, providing the best they can for their family and communities.

Unfortunately, some whites, along with well-to-do African Americans (or anyone who seems to have any inklings of wealthy are targets. It's called capitalism!
This.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:21 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowery View Post
No, you are not at fault (yes I am black). You didn't have an obligation to speak to him. As a teenager (in the early 2000s) I went swimming at the pool there and I've never had any issues with white people. The guy could have been a nutcase (there are way too many of them in Baltimore).
It's still primarily black people at the Riverside pool. Fine with me!

I rarely talk to anyone when I'm walking the dog. Race has zero to do with it. I don't want the dog to get riled up and I don't need to talk to strangers.

Someone told me I should have called the cops on that guy, but what for? His ranting wasn't illegal, just idiotic and annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore