Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:02 AM

6 posts, read 5,927 times

Advertisements

Baltimore has surpassed New York City for homicides this year.

BALTIMORE CRIME BEAT

With months to go, 2015 now more deadly in Baltimore than all of last year

A New York Police spokeswoman said the city had seen 208 homicides as of Wednesday. Baltimore recorded its 213th homicide Wednesday night.

It's a seemingly impossible milestone -- New York has more than 8.4 million people, Baltimore just 620,000.

New York peaked with 2,245 homicides in 1990, but that number has been tumbling and hit a historic low in 2014, with 328.

Baltimore saw a peak of 353 killings in 1993, and recorded 211 homicides in 2014.

Baltimore surpasses the number of murders for all of last year, with more than four months to go. The dubious distinction comes as the mayor faces growing public criticism. Mike Hellgren reports.
Adjusted for population, Baltimore's murder rate through Aug. 19 is 34 per 100,000 people, while New York's is so far this year 2.5 per 100,000. If New York had Baltimore's murder rate, it would have seen 2,874 killings already this year.

Chicago has seen the most killings of any city, with 284. With 2.7 million people, Chicago's homicide rate is about 10.4 per 100,000 people so far this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 08:41 AM

675 posts, read 723,948 times
Baltimore has decreased its incarceration rate by 43% this year. The State's Attorneys Office has about half the conviction rate of other major cities and the laws regarding release from prison are substantially lower than other states. We also have one of the highest teen pregnancy rate. Black leaders in Baltimore tend to gloss over the seriousness of the problem and blame the rise in crime to the police.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:36 PM

46 posts, read 64,705 times
Its not a politically correct conversation to have.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:47 AM

219 posts, read 405,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
Baltimore has decreased its incarceration rate by 43% this year. The State's Attorneys Office has about half the conviction rate of other major cities and the laws regarding release from prison are substantially lower than other states. We also have one of the highest teen pregnancy rate. Black leaders in Baltimore tend to gloss over the seriousness of the problem and blame the rise in crime to the police.
Could you list your sources. If this is true then too many people dant know it. We need to spread this information around so people know exactly what kind of change they should be demanding.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltplanner View Post
Could you list your sources. If this is true then too many people dant know it. We need to spread this information around so people know exactly what kind of change they should be demanding.
About 2 months ago the SUN newspaper did a study of the incarceration rate in Baltimore over the past 5 years. The study quoted the percentage of decline of incarcerations and said it was down by 43%. You can look up the Baltimore City State's Attorneys conviction rate on line. I forget what site I was on but it said that the BCSA office had half the conviction rate of cities of the same population number. Bu Maryland law a prisoner can request a release from prison after serving half their sentence. Most states require that you complete 75 % of your sentence before you can be released and some require that you complete 100% of your sentence before you can be released. I worked in forensics i9n Baltimore City for 13 years and I still follow these statistics. Your right, the people need to know this information but I don't know how to get this information to them en mass. There are numerous laws that protect the prisoners in Maryland that the people are not aware of and conflict the notion that the politicians are doing what they can to protect public safety.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:23 AM

Baltimore City officials reject the techniques such as "stop and search" and racial profiling that would lower crime saying that it is unconstitutional. These techniques certainly have helped reduce crime in New York City. I can remember growing up in Baltimore and the police pulling me over and requesting to see your drivers license and registration. I think they were also trying to see if you were drinking as well. They did this particularly with young people. I was stopped many times. I just looked at it like it was the police doing their job. Black officials in Baltimore make it into a racial issue and undermine public safety by doing so. After all isn't most of the crime in Baltimore City done disproportionally by AA even taking into consideration the percentage of the population they are in Baltimore City ? I don't buy into the presidents suggestion that the number of AA committing crime is due to slavery. Statistics point to the absence of the father in the home and the related families' failure to socialize their children including the teen pregnancy rate as the main causes of crime in Baltimore.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:02 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
So, what you're saying is We're Number One?

This is what colors the dislike many in Maryland have for the City. Is it racial? Maybe to an extent, but the numbers are there no matter the race of criminal.

Prince George's has also seen an uptick in homicides this year. I don't know about the rest of the state although it seems as though Montgomery has also seen an increase (although, as opposed to Baltimore and PG) its numbers are usually in the single/low double digit range.

Many Counties in Maryland record zero murders or one in a year.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:00 AM

Well it could be worse. They could not kill each other and live long enough to rob others, beat everybody up, wreck their cars or throw trash everywhere.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:17 AM

850 posts, read 1,132,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
So, what you're saying is We're Number One?

This is what colors the dislike many in Maryland have for the City. Is it racial? Maybe to an extent, but the numbers are there no matter the race of criminal.

Prince George's has also seen an uptick in homicides this year. I don't know about the rest of the state although it seems as though Montgomery has also seen an increase (although, as opposed to Baltimore and PG) its numbers are usually in the single/low double digit range.

Many Counties in Maryland record zero murders or one in a year.
You and I are in the Calvert County area. I don't consider myself Baltimore (anymore) etc... Baltimore and Calvert County is like Bennie Sanders and Dick Cheney.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:19 AM

850 posts, read 1,132,116 times
You know this thread is going to eventually turn into a bunch of excuses on how the stats are wrong or this and that or the other. Or I've lived in Baltimore City right next to Avon Barksdale house for over 10K years and nothing has ever happened to me. Or something like you need to have street smarts or those that get caught into the thick of it are stupid and don't have no business in the city.

Finally, rather than admitting defeat. "Baltimore is not for everyone, I've lived here all my life and it's the best city...."
Yadda Yadda Yadda Yadda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore