Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 02:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,233 times

Advertisements

Hello! I will be working at APG in the next few months and I'm checking out the area around it. I'm in my early 20's, so I'm not looking at houses. Somewhere young and active would be fun.

1. SAFE
2. I need somewhere cheap (less than $800/mo)
3. Don't mind a ~30min commute (but not too much longer)
4. Not boring (eg. coffee shops, stores, restaurants, etc)
5. Ideally within ~30min of Baltimore, but not necessary

I've been looking at: White Marsh, Carney, Towson. I really want somewhere safe. I would sacrifice boring for safe. But there's only so much I can flex on the budget. I keep reading about some really shady apartments. Is there a specific area that is known for being safe?

Edit: I should probably mention that I'm not from the East Coast, so I don't know the area at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 09:40 AM

280 posts, read 675,012 times
I don't think you will be able to get $800 or less anywhere without sharing.

Perry Hall is probably safer than the other options - not to say that Carney, White Marsh, or Towson are unsafe.

Towson -> APG -> Towson would not be a good commute due to beltway traffic, at least during normal rush hours.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,733 times
As Michael said, you are not going to find anything in Carney, White Marsh, Towson, or Perry Hall for $800 a month. My suggestion would be since you are going to be working at APG, look at Cecil County or even Delaware. Remember, that you can get the Commuter plan for the Pulaski Highway bridge, so you only have to pay a one time yearly fee to cross unlimited times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore