Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 5,972 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Baltimore, but I'm about to retire and I really want on old house and at least an acre for a garden and privacy and dogs and--well--nature. But I'm gay, originally Australian, caucasian but with an African-American partner, polically left, and atheist--maybe Buddhist. (Do I sound like an urban cliche?) I value privacy, so I'm not looking to engage hugely with the neighbors, but I'm looking for a rural area where I won't be too out of place or stigmatized. I also want to be not too far from amenties like gyms etc, and my sense is that the corridor around I-83 heading north from Baltimore as far as southern PA is probably my safest bet. Does anyone have suggestions for any areas that are a bit "alternative" in rural Maryland or rural PA--I guess (broadly) between DC and Philadelphia? (Good climate zone would be a definite plus.) Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 12:41 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoo View Post
Does anyone have suggestions for any areas that are a bit "alternative" in rural Maryland or rural PA--I guess (broadly) between DC and Philadelphia? (Good climate zone would be a definite plus.) Many thanks.
Look anywhere there are many antique dealers. I find there is a large concentration of gays among antique dealers. Mount Airy might be one place to look. Bucks County Pennsylvania is another. Havre De Grace might be another, but I think the acre of land will be expensive.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:38 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
I think your best bets would be the western and southwestern suburbs and exurbs of Philadelphia, more specifically from Bala Cynwyd following I-76, I-276, and Route 30 out to Route 202, and from City Avenue out to Chadds Ford or even Kennett Square. Also, Bucks County (as was previously suggested) particularly near the village of New Hope, and across the river to Lambertville, NJ and across to the Princeton/Lawrenceville area.

Property in all of those areas will not be cheap, and the property taxes will be @#$% outrageous. However, you won't have any problem finding a suitable gym or park to exercise.

The I-83 corridor north of Baltimore is one of the last places on earth I would ever steer a gay African American male.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM

Many thanks. So what I'm hearing is that the area around Baltimore, and Maryland in general, is a no-go. (People have warned me that Havre de Grace is near Aberdeen, and they've said I absolutely don't want to be there.) So I guess I better start getting to know Philly. . . . Sigh. It would be so nice just to go where you liked the country and not have to worry about whether you'll "fit in." But I guess that's fairly universal.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:33 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,339 times
Quote:
People have warned me that Havre de Grace is near Aberdeen, and they've said I absolutely don't want to be there.
I wouldn't say that at all... there just aren't many gay folks around there. I'd avoid Cecil County, MD but I think you'd be fine really anywhere between Philly and Baltimore along I-95 or Rt. 1 corridors. It's somewhat conservative but certainly not anti-gay at all.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:13 PM

926 posts, read 1,255,531 times
Quote:
I currently live in Baltimore, but I'm about to retire and I really want on old house and at least an acre for a garden and privacy and dogs and--well--nature. But I'm gay, originally Australian, caucasian but with an African-American partner, polically left, and atheist--maybe Buddhist. (Do I sound like an urban cliche?) I value privacy, so I'm not looking to engage hugely with the neighbors, but I'm looking for a rural area where I won't be too out of place or stigmatized. I also want to be not too far from amenties like gyms etc, and my sense is that the corridor around I-83 heading north from Baltimore as far as southern PA is probably my safest bet. Does anyone have suggestions for any areas that are a bit "alternative" in rural Maryland or rural PA--I guess (broadly) between DC and Philadelphia? (Good climate zone would be a definite plus.) Many thanks.
Don't rule out Havre de Grace. Unfortunately, because of development not as quaint as it used to be but still has a few areas where privacy/acreage can be found. Antique old town feel near the water. Close to the Delaware beaches and the south/eastern part of Pennsylvania; which is rich with beautiful scenery, botanical gardens, hiking and wineries. An hour or so to Center City Philadelphia and downtown Baltimore and a couple of hours from DC.

As far as it being close to Aberdeen. Aberdeen is just...meh.

Anyway, it's worth checking out.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
I can tell you that some of the loveliest suburban areas just outside Philadelphia towards Wilmington Delaware - particularly West Chester, Media, Swarthmore are very LGBT friend ... but these areas can be very pricey. Swarthmore has probably the most gay-friendly college in the entire US! The towns themselves are charming with lots of cafes, art galleries, upscale restaurants, etc. So, if you're on a strict budget, forget it.

Possibly the "gayest" area is centered around Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. So gay in fact it competes as a resort with Provincetown and Key West. We jokingly call it "Rehomo Beach."

Old 06-02-2016, 07:40 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I can tell you that some of the loveliest suburban areas just outside Philadelphia towards Wilmington Delaware - particularly West Chester, Media, Swarthmore are very LGBT friend ... but these areas can be very pricey. Swarthmore has probably the most gay-friendly college in the entire US! The towns themselves are charming with lots of cafes, art galleries, upscale restaurants, etc. So, if you're on a strict budget, forget it.

Possibly the "gayest" area is centered around Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. So gay in fact it competes as a resort with Provincetown and Key West. We jokingly call it "Rehomo Beach."
The OP is looking for a house with at least an acre of land. I highly doubt he'll find that in West Chester, Media, or Swarthmore. Maybe Kennett Square or Chadds Ford might be worth a look?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:00 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,936,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The OP is looking for a house with at least an acre of land. I highly doubt he'll find that in West Chester, Media, or Swarthmore. Maybe Kennett Square or Chadds Ford might be worth a look?
Yes, Kennett Square and Chadds Ford might be worth a look. Mind you, the OP did not mention money, a budget, nor a price ... so as far as I know he might be loaded and could well afford a breathtaking historic home on a few acres of land even in West Chester, Media and Swarthmore!

Old 06-03-2016, 10:41 AM

Many thanks, folks. So I've been looking in Redfin for houses earlier than 1940, at least 1 acre, and below $500k, and there seem to be a few pretty good values in areas south of West Chester toward "north Wilmington"--then it gets pricey around West Chester, and then it gets cheaper again as you head out toward Reading. (Is Reading too far away?) Mind you, I've seen some great listings in West Virginia, e.g. on the Potomac--some good value, but some quite expensive. Holiday homes from DC, mixed in with locals, maybe? But I guess I don't want to go there. . . . ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore