Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2016, 10:22 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a regular visitor to Baltimore from Philadelphia.

Last weekend I discovered long time established LGBT entertainment venues in the Mount Vernon neighborhood are gone ... The Hippo, The Drinkery, Jay's On Read.

Does this spell the decline of a popular "gayborhood" in Baltimore?

Someone who was optimistic at the Mount Vernon Stable tavern and restaurant told me it's possible these places will re-open under new management. He mentioned The Drinkery, which could be rowdy, had their liquor license pulled because it was poorly managed and a nuisance to neighbors.

Believe it or not Baltimore is weekend and vacation destination for many LGBT tourists. The home and celebrated locale of John Waters films, Divine, the Museum of Visionary Art Museum, the restaurants and bars and night clubs of Mount Vernon. I'm sure some of the hotels in Mount Vernon enjoy a gay following.

I fear if Baltimore is no longer as much a fun place for the gay tourist, they will go elsewhere: DC, Rehoboth Beach, Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 10:31 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Last weekend I discovered long time established LGBT entertainment venues in the Mount Vernon neighborhood are gone ... The Hippo, The Drinkery, Jay's On Read.
I'm sorry to hear that. Even I, as a straight woman, had heard of The Hippo. It seems like the end of an era.

Or is it just that Mount Vernon has become more of a straight neighborhood, and new management will change the emphasis in the bars?

Old 06-03-2016, 12:28 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,946,746 times
Quote:

Someone who was optimistic at the Mount Vernon Stable tavern and restaurant told me it's possible these places will re-open under new management. He mentioned The Drinkery, which could be rowdy, had their liquor license pulled because it was poorly managed and a nuisance to neighbors.

Believe it or not Baltimore is weekend and vacation destination for many LGBT tourists. The home and celebrated locale of John Waters films, Divine, the Museum of Visionary Art Museum, the restaurants and bars and night clubs of Mount Vernon. I'm sure some of the hotels in Mount Vernon enjoy a gay following.

I fear if Baltimore is no longer as much a fun place for the gay tourist, they will go elsewhere: DC, Rehoboth Beach, Philly.
"Gayborhoods'' are in decline all over the U.S., including Philly. Not as much need for ''gay enclaves'' as they go the way of the old ethnic neighborhoods in the U.S. It's called assimilation.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:43 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
"Gayborhoods'' are in decline all over the U.S., including Philly. Not as much need for ''gay enclaves'' as they go the way of the old ethnic neighborhoods in the U.S. It's called assimilation.
I think you nailed it. The Philly Gayborhood - also known as Washington Square West and Midtown Village - was back in the 1940's, '50's, '60's and '70s a not very desirable and somewhat rowdy (bars, all night coffee shops, etc.) section of Center City. It was where lower price rental apartments were available and younger gay and lesbian as well as artists and service industry workers moved to if they wanted to be near the center of town.

We see it all over the US. Gay people move into a rundown affordable part of town. They fix things up, make it pretty. Then gentrifying "hip" straights buy everything up and drive the prices up. The gay move out looking for new 'undiscovered' locales ...

It happened in NYC's Greenwich Village, Chelsea, Brooklyn Heights.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:42 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,106,895 times
And you can thank the gays for revitalizing Baltimore City. Baltimore City government has poured billions of dollars into neighborhood revitalization and has little to nothing to show for it. The gays were the early investors who jump started every trendy neighborhood, even neighborhoods commonly described as "family oriented".

Old 06-04-2016, 09:26 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,254,704 times
Back in the day, you folks had only the "Pepper Hill" bar located on -- get this -- Gay St. I don't think that it was intentionally placed there because of the nomenclature, but then again who knows?

Old 06-05-2016, 02:31 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,428,277 times
I'm not gay, but we used to venture out to The Hippo because of HOUSE MUSIC, and that spot has significant role promoting the music in the city.

Quote:

Old 06-05-2016, 02:32 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,428,277 times
Quote:
Baltimore City government has poured billions of dollars into neighborhood revitalization and has little to nothing to show for it.
*LOL! Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
And you can thank the gays for revitalizing Baltimore City. Baltimore City government has poured billions of dollars into neighborhood revitalization and has little to nothing to show for it. The gays were the early investors who jump started every trendy neighborhood, even neighborhoods commonly described as "family oriented".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore