Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 17,852 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family is relocating to Baltimore for my husband's job. We were originally looking in Ellicott City and Sykesville. It seems we can get more house/land for our $ in Sykesville. Both seem to have great schools and low crime. I had started a thread on here about those areas and got a lot of great info. I am staring to worry about my husbands commute for Baltimore to Sykesville, he says he doesn't mind, most important to him is that our children are in a really great community. That being said, what is White Marsh like? From what I can find online it looks like it has good schools and low crime but is pretty close to Baltimore. We have 3 children who are 9, 8, & 6. We are looking for a 4 bedroom, low crime and really good schools. My children are really into soccer and lacrosse so we would like an area that has good sports programs. Given this criteria is White Marsh a good option? Are there any other towns around there that you would recommend or should we stick with Ellicott City and Sykesville? Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 05:35 PM

450 posts, read 798,283 times
Where is your husband's job?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:50 PM

10 posts, read 17,852 times
Under Armour

Old 05-18-2016, 05:12 AM

222 posts, read 270,765 times
White marsh is a higher density population area compared to sykesville. White Marsh is your typical suburbia with average crime and average schools. I would probably still pin sykesville schooling a notch above the schools in the white marsh area. Have you considered Timonium? It is a bit pricier than White Marsh but i'm not sure what your budget is.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:33 AM

280 posts, read 674,658 times
White Marsh is good for I-95 commutes. White Marsh --> Syksesville --> White Marsh would be one of the worst commutes around here. I would stick to the western suburbs.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:02 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
I had to look up where Under Armour is. Turns out it's in Tide Point (South Baltimore).

I'm only familiar with White Marsh in broad generalities; certainly not enough to offer advice on the OP's questions. But the commute from there to Tide Point would be simple and straightforward; straight down I-95. But traffic congestion is certainly an issue, and there's also the tunnel tolls to be paid.

Sykesville is considerably more distant, and the commute is further complicated by significant traffic congestion on the Beltway between I-70 and I-95. (No tunnel tolls, though.)

I would urge the OP to take a look at western Elkridge or eastern Ellicott City; basically the areas in proximity to Route 100, east of U.S. 29 and west of I-95. It's an easy commute, with relatively few traffic slowdowns (most of the time) except right around I-395; and there's no tunnel toll to deal with. Schools and safety in these areas are top notch.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:18 PM

10 posts, read 13,582 times
First post. I live in the White Marsh area and work walking distance from Tide Point in the Locust Point area of the city. White Marsh is an easy commute on I-95. 30 minutes each way during rush hour, 20 without traffic. Only drawback is paying the toll at the Fort McHenry Tunnel (commuter rate $1.40 each way = about $600 a year in tolls)

White Marsh is a nice upper middle class area. Plenty of shopping and restaurants. Schools are very good but crowded. If you decide to move to the area also look under Perry Hall and Nottingham. The 21236 zip code where White Marsh Mall and most of the housing actually is is called Nottingham. It's a little confusing, just search by zip codes 21236 and 21128 and that is the the community.

What the post office calls "White Marsh" 21162 zip is not what any of the residents consider it to be.

As for Sykesville. Very nice, but very rural. Tougher commute.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:20 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,136,194 times
Most of the development activity is in White Marsh. Also look into Perry Hall. The exit off 95 for Locust Point is considerably lighter than the 395 exit into the city.

Really just depends on your price range. All of these areas (and Baltimore in general) are very soccer and lacrosse friendly.

In terms of $ to $$$$, I would put it generally as White Marsh, Perry Hall, Sykesville then Ellicott City. Of those four, White Marsh is likely to be the newer of the homes.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgil4 View Post
Hi,
My family is relocating to Baltimore for my husband's job. We were originally looking in Ellicott City and Sykesville. It seems we can get more house/land for our $ in Sykesville. Both seem to have great schools and low crime. I had started a thread on here about those areas and got a lot of great info. I am staring to worry about my husbands commute for Baltimore to Sykesville, he says he doesn't mind, most important to him is that our children are in a really great community. That being said, what is White Marsh like? From what I can find online it looks like it has good schools and low crime but is pretty close to Baltimore. We have 3 children who are 9, 8, & 6. We are looking for a 4 bedroom, low crime and really good schools. My children are really into soccer and lacrosse so we would like an area that has good sports programs. Given this criteria is White Marsh a good option? Are there any other towns around there that you would recommend or should we stick with Ellicott City and Sykesville? Thank you!!!
Welcome to Baltimore. The question that needs to be answered by you is what is your background? Race, religion please. Baltimore is the most segregated city and county you can imagine. That information from you would help me tell you right way where you will be happiest. Without knowing, I would say that Lutherville-Timonium is a nice compromise.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:06 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorebmore View Post
Welcome to Baltimore. The question that needs to be answered by you is what is your background? Race, religion please.
While it is true that many neighborhoods in Baltimore are ethnically segregated, I don't think the poster has to tell you their race or religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore