Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:30 AM

32 posts, read 38,907 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about taking a job in Towson and since I'm recently single I was wondering what the dating scene is like for a guy around my age in downtown Baltimore where I'd be looking to live. I'm currently out in Silicon Valley which is a total sausage-fest so an improvement in the dating scene might be nice on top of the much much better cost of living. I'm also caucasian, have a BS, and a steady career if that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 12:43 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,952,269 times
I feel your pain about the sausage fest, I live in Seattle the land of Amazon and MSFT, and a billion tech companies just like Silicon Valley. Its so embarrassing to go to a party and hit on a girl who has 10 phone numbers already given to her.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
I feel your pain about the sausage fest, I live in Seattle the land of Amazon and MSFT, and a billion tech companies just like Silicon Valley. Its so embarrassing to go to a party and hit on a girl who has 10 phone numbers already given to her.
I've heard Seattle is nearly as bad and getting worse. The only reason i moved out here is because I had a long term girlfriend at the time that ended recently after almost 4 years. Since then, I've been in countless situations where there's 4 or 5 dudes all trying desperately to hit on the same girl at once and take her home. I've never been the type of guy that's comfortable trying to outcompete or out douche a bunch of other guys just to get a girl to sleep with you. And generally in my experience if the guys all know each other, the one that succeeds tends to do something really sleezy that pisses off the other guys. I really love working in tech but it's getting harder and harder to justify the sacrifice.

Baltimore seems to pop up fairly often on these lists of best cities for single men but its hard to say if its really accurate. It sounds like Baltimore has high poverty areas where men are more likely to be incarcerated and that might be skewing the demographics towards more women.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:36 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggles View Post
I'm thinking about taking a job in Towson....
I'd suggest living up that way.

Quote:
and since I'm recently single I was wondering what the dating scene is like
for a guy around my age in downtown Baltimore where I'd be looking to live.
It's been a long time since I was 25, but I wouldn't have moved downtown for dating.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:58 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,430,287 times
Good Luck!

Quote:
I've heard Seattle is nearly as bad and getting worse. The only reason i moved out here is because I had a long term girlfriend at the time that ended recently after almost 4 years. Since then, I've been in countless situations where there's 4 or 5 dudes all trying desperately to hit on the same girl at once and take her home. I've never been the type of guy that's comfortable trying to outcompete or out douche a bunch of other guys just to get a girl to sleep with you. And generally in my experience if the guys all know each other, the one that succeeds tends to do something really sleezy that pisses off the other guys. I really love working in tech but it's getting harder and harder to justify the sacrifice.

Baltimore seems to pop up fairly often on these lists of best cities for single men but its hard to say if its really accurate. It sounds like Baltimore has high poverty areas where men are more likely to be incarcerated and that might be skewing the demographics towards more women.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:54 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,512,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

It's been a long time since I was 25, but I wouldn't have moved downtown for dating.
It is also a long time since I was 25 too. In fact, hardly anybody lived in downtown Baltimore when I was 25. Judging from the number of units built and under construction, it is hard to believe that there isn't a pretty good scene downtown. I would think that any scene in Towson would probably concentrate on college age young people.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:16 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,094,582 times
If you like black woman, there are plenty of pickings in Baltimore. If not, must go to Towson or anywhere in the county.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:23 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,512,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
If you like black woman, there are plenty of pickings in Baltimore. If not, must go to Towson or anywhere in the county.
Wait a minute, a pro-black white friend who was complaining just today that there were too many white people in Mount Vernon. I'm way too old for them, but I see zillions of young white women in and near downtown Baltimore - not so many older white women though.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

What about Fels Point, Canton, or Federal Hill? Those were the neighborhoods I drove through when I was in town and I've heard good things from friends that have visited.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:37 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
What about Fells Point, Canton, or Federal Hill?
If you work downtown... sure they'll be convenient.
Maybe enough to not need to own a car.
But they're also the party scene destination.

It's one thing to go to a bar...
few want to live IN a bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: