Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 AM

6 posts, read 51,674 times

Advertisements

My thread yesterday deleted and labeled racist. I am black so I cannot figure out what I could have said that was racist? and furthermore, my post was deleted before you all could not chime in and make that determination for your selves.

I will try this again and this time....if you want to know more you can contact me directly.

Baltimore's West Side is a great place to look for homes as well.

East Baltimore is what you are being sold as "safe". All of it is city life. West Baltimore has trees and big yards in many parts also....LOL!

Yes....more black people live in West Baltimore than East Baltimore, but since many of you never venture past MLK Blvd. you would not know that the housing stock is significantly bigger. <------I am starting to sound like a realtor

I want to go into more detail, but cannot without explaining the segregationist history of our great city. <------I provided links in my first post so you wouldn't have to take my word for it that I will gladly resend you upon request.

if you want more info about housing stock in Baltimore (from someone other than a realtor) and not just the areas that you already know about.....please contact me synergizehiphop@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 AM

32 posts, read 273,971 times
Wow....you can't figure out what you said yesterday that was racist?

"I am black so I cannot figure out what I could have said that was racist?"

Maybe no one has ever told you this, so I will: You don't have to be white to be racist. Being black doesn't give you free rein to make racially charged, judgemental statements about other groups of people.

The vast majority of people are not afraid to live in West Baltimore because it is predominately black. They are afraid to live there because of the incredible amount of violent crime that occurs there.

See "Murder Maps" below:

http://frozentropics.blogspot.com/20...baltimore.html

http://burgersub.org/murders.htm (broken link)

Old 12-29-2006, 11:15 AM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
Default Moderator speaking....

Let's be gentle with each other....

There's a lot of good info on W. Baltimore that we'd like to hear about. I recall the area from my childhood, especially that Edmonson Ave / Hilton St area. My aunt/uncle lived up on Allendale St, a few doors from Edmonson Av and I remember seeing the #8 streetcars running there. You could walk to the corner and get a cold orange pop (anyone remember Tru-Ade?). But like most whites, they "fled" to Pikesville in the late 1950's / early 1960's when their neighorhood "changed." I have fond memories of Benkert's Beer Garden, just off of Allendale and Hilton, where we'd eat ham sandwiches on outdoor picnic tables as Dad drank a beer.....and another....

Dad grew up in that area, born 1905....used to swim in the old quarry down by the Amtrak line (in Dad's time it was the Pennsylvania RR). People just know it as a lake today....

Most of Baltimore will be re-built or re-habbed over the next 20 years. Lots of West Baltimore will be a part of that. Baby boomers, of all colors, will opt out of living in suburbia and having to drive everywhere. The ability to live in a solid rowhome, like those on Allendale or Wildwood Pkwy (our home 1948-52) and walk to what you need, will be HOT commodities. Really old, decrepit housing stock, like the ancient rowhomes along (for example) Pratt & Carey Sts, will simply be torn down as just too old and too small and too decayed.

For the last 30 years the renewal work has been in the downtown, Federal Hill, Inner Harbor areas. Work is now moving through South Baltimore (Locust Point and Westport). Renewal work will continue to expand from the central core city further out and we want to hear about those parts of town.

Be thoughtful with your words and keep posting good info about Baltimore.

s/Mike

Old 12-29-2006, 11:32 AM

"You don't have to be white to be racist"

you, my friend, sound silly.

You can call a black person predjudice, but racism requires power.

..........But this is not the proper forum to debate the definition of racism.

look at Baltimore city...the black sections have benefitted little from the recent revitalization or gentrification of Baltimore city in the same way that the "whiter" areas have. That is not racist...that is facts. I too can post links to sites that will support my claims as well.

My post was/is for those of you that are not in Baltimore currently or live in the county and are thinking of moving to the city and need a nice place to call home. Not ppl that want to judge me because I have a different outlook on what has been termed "Baltimore growth".

Forgive me for intruding on your "Live Caton, Washington Village, Patterson Park, Butchers Hill, Fells Point, Locust Point - **** anywhere but West baltimore" picnic....

I see that this site is not for discussion that go out side of the realm of what you (i assume are one of the moderators) think is acceptable convo.

I assumed this forum was for ppl considering moving to Baltimore or who are trying to gain insight into life in baltimore.

one postitive note..........
This back and fourth provides us all with a great example:

There are two different views on Baltimore (oftentimes defined by the color of your skin and your experience in this city). When I talk about my reality as a black woman - I am accused of being racist. But a white person can talk about how dirty and unsafe West Baltimore is (a historically African American enclave) and that is not racist....LOL!

I didn't even call this inequality racism (the fact that they arent devoting much money to West B)...I call it normal (we live in a capitolistic society), but I guess black ppl are much more comfortable with discussing such things. I do not have a sense of entitlement.

This is a racially segregated city - still in 2007 and I see ppl all around encouraging this to continue. I am not a race baiter or pulling a race card, I am just offering the readers a unique opinion (seems like everyone on here has just about the same).

FYI:
Canton is still a very sketchy area of the city (or should I say the hood is around the corner from it). I go to the Out back Steak house there often. I think its a beautiful thing that they've done to the area. There are signs that this will become an area that all Baltimoreans can be proud of. GREAT!!!!

but I also know.........

You can think you are safe in Caton if that makes you feel good when walking into your little rowhouse that you undoubtedly paid too much for .....if you want to. Please check what the last person paid for your house -----> http://sdatcert3.resiusa.org/rp_rewrite/<-------

No beef from me....I'm comfortable with living where I can get the most for my money.

My whole point is that its sad that people are only being encouraged to buy and look for homes in the white enclaves of the city (sorry...not racism...stating facts again) and that ppl should not be fooled into thinking that any one area is safer than others. Its all B-more city. The same ppl that will jack you in West B. can get in their car and target you in East (or wherever you live and think you have a violence free pass).

Open you minds and your hearts....our city will only get better when ppl abandon their biases....stop acting live racism in Baltimore does not exisit.

While these biases and predjudices that ppl hold (an express on this site and others) may not be based on race per se (in your/their minds)...if not corrected......we will raise new generation of ppl that make assumptions about other races because they have never lived, worked or went to school with any.

am I the biggot....????

I am a well traveled, college educated (advanced degree) black woman who can live wherever I want. I am NOT speaking from the position of one that has been priced out by gentrification. I am currently home hunting and excitedly came across this site. I am now a little dismayed When I'm ready.....I will buy the best house for my money and I am just letting the ppl know that their money will go a lot farther if they open their minds.

BLKBALTIMORE HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!

Last edited by BlkBaltimore; 12-29-2006 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-01-2007, 11:01 PM

3 posts, read 39,410 times
Default West Baltimore

You're right West B-more has been blasted to pieces on this forum. If there are pockets of West B-more that are safe, you wouldn't know it if you came here. There are a few dominate posters who feel it's their duty to tell people what places to stay away from. Everybody's tolerance level and/or comfort zone is different. Ending every negative opinion with crime statistics is not the entire picture. You've got some places in East Baltimore that are down right scary. I've noticed if someone mentions that they are remotely open to an edgier/dicey area, they are told to steer clear of West Baltimore.

Hope people have enough common sense to at least check it out for themselves, write to some of the neighborhood associations, and possibly talk to a few residents if they're able to do so.

Last edited by monicka; 01-02-2007 at 12:08 AM..

Old 01-07-2007, 07:07 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,814,088 times
Default Hollins Market/Union Square

I took my wife back to the Union Square/Hollins Market area yesterday. As far as I am concerned, it is on the cusp of a revival. The University of Maryland is pushing toward it from the MLK direction. Prices of the huge mansion-sized Union Square townhouses have skyrocketed, but there is still much relatively cheap real estate on the fringes which are poverty stricken. With Pigtown going on strong on one side and Poppleton about to undergo gentrification, Hollins Market may be next. (Of course, that's what people have believed since the 1970s. . .)
When we moved to the area in 1989, we did so because there was a German bakery at Hollins Market and several eateries as well. None of them is in the business today. We exited in 2000.
But wait. We had a nice (and cheap) lunch at The Bistro, near Hollins Market. Two tasty salmon and rice dishes plus lemonade for $13.45 total.
The owner of The Bistro, a woman originally from Mississippi via the District of Columbia, seemed very disappointed with the pace of improvement in the neighborhood. I tried to cheer her up. In fact, she told us that a new Vietnamese restaurant is about to open where Mencken's Cultured Pearl once existed. A long-closed pizza place nearby also seems slated for reopening as something else.
The bottom line: If your job is downtown, particularly at the University of Maryland, this West side area is worth consideration as a place to live. It's not for everyone and crime is still an issue. But things are looking up.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM

468 posts, read 2,359,571 times
Both East and West Baltimore are mostly black.

People are buying lots of houses near the water all over Baltimore... West Baltimore isn't on the water. That's why people aren't buying as many houses there.

I think racism plays a part, but you're oversimplying to boil East and West down to race... go 20 blocks north of the water in East Baltimore and you'll find poor neighborhoods full of abandoned buildings where nobody's buying.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:58 AM

you are correct, Baltimore has black ppl all over.

But.....if you look at the way in which the city was historically segregated....not much has changed with regard to where people live. In addition....I am of the opinion that most of the redevelopment in Baltimore has occured in areas that are dominantly populated by non-black people.

I know its probably more to do with economics and the socioeconomic status of the residents of those areas (higher likelihood that investors will see a return on their investment - for any number of reasons) and less race........

but take that factor out of the equation and all I see is the main street in historically black areas (edmondson village, pennsylvannia ave, greenmount, etc)......looking a hot mess and not attractive to ppl looking for a home.

Shout to everyone that sent me e-mails. I hope I was able to help.

I am currently looking in Remington (mid town / mixed)......Arlington (burbs in the city)....Res Hill (becoming mixed since folk started referring to it as Resourvoir Hill instead of Whitelock...LOL!) Surprisingly..... I've come across some good deals and have notice prices droppin - a lil.

Again.....
there are some real nice areas in West Baltimore ...have you guys ever heard of this area called Fairmount? I just found it and was blown away.

Anyways....thanks for all the feedback

Old 01-18-2007, 03:16 PM

468 posts, read 2,359,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBaltimore View Post
if you look at the way in which the city was historically segregated....not much has changed with regard to where people live. In addition....I am of the opinion that most of the redevelopment in Baltimore has occured in areas that are dominantly populated by non-black people.
East Baltimore used to be mostly white. During the 20th century, the old Polish, Irish, German, and Jewish people started moving out, and central East Baltimore became mostly black, as it is today.

Gentrification has mostly occured in a ring around the water-- Canton, Fells Point, Little Italy, Inner Harbor, Federal Hill, Locust Point. It has pushed out working class people (both black and white) in South Baltimore and the Sharp-Leadenhall neighborhood.

The kind of people buying houses in these areas along the water want to live close to where they work. They don't want to live way out in West Baltimore. It is true that they could get a much nicer house for much less money if they did, but they're looking for close-by neighborhood conveniences like bars and restaurants.

I agree with you that West Baltimore has some safe neighborhoods and gets unfairly demonized because it's almost all black. If you're looking for the most bang for your buck, it's true that people should capitalize on that by buying houses out there. But the kind of experience people are looking for will dictate where they buy a house. If you live in Canton, you can walk down to Fells Point or even Little Italy, go out and have dinner, get some drinks, walk down the street... Fairmount may have nice houses and be a safe place to live, but it's not a comparable experience. That's really far out.

I agree that commercial corridors like Pennsylvania Avenue need reinvestment, but it's going to take a long time. Development is going to continue to spread outward from the water, it's not going to skip around. People want to live near other attractions, not just have a nice house.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 11,144 times
I love the West Side. I just purchased an investment home near the zoo. Shhh don't tell anyone about the West side redevelopement underway. Mondawin is getting a major face lift. Target, Marshalls and Major chain restaurants are coming this year. Listen Baltimore is street to street. If you want to improve the community then get off of your butt and buy a house or a block. When I drive threw the West Side I see contractors everywhere fixing up the community. I see auctions on abandon buildings getting good prices. I see what happened in Patterson Park 3 years ago happening right now on the West side. I have been all over the city looking at homes. I'm a realtor so I get to see the inside as well as the outside. I walk the communities. I talk to the people, the contractors, the mailman to get a pulse for what's happening in the community. The people will tell you what's going on. If you don't want to get out of your car then just look for the signs there may be trouble. Just check the crime reports for that area. If someone is openly selling drugs in front of you bad sign lol. My point is there are tons of opportunity all around the city but do your homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore