Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,707,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Somalia is an exaggeration. Folks in Canton, Roland Park, Federal Hill, Hampden, etc. do go out and night. It would be safer in a nice neighborhood in most other cities. But those neighborhoods are safe enough that rational people play the odds and take their chances. I live in a much less safe neighborhood and keep my walking at night to a minimum and act defensively as possible when I do. No matter what kind of neighborhood you live in, it gets progressively more dangerous as you move later into the evening.
He also told me "almost everyone I know has had their car broken into in Baltimore". He's in his 40s, so I doubt he's hanging out with bozos who leave valuables visible in the car.

Is that the norm? I've lived in St Louis and Kansas City, two cities that are almost always on the top 15 list of most dangerous cities in the US, yet I never heard gun shots, was never mugged, nor was my car broken into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 04:24 AM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Yeah, there are a lot of car breakins in parts of Baltimore, as a consequence insurance rates are higher than average for the state. My youngest daughter moved two blocks into Baltimore County from the City and her insurance dropped about 40%.

One of the things about the city is that you can be in a decent area, blink your eyes twice and be in a bad area.

Maryland itself is rated as something like the 7th most dangerous state. That's driven by the crime rate in just two jurisdictions, Baltimore City and Prince George's County.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Do nice neighborhoods during the day turn into Somalia at night?
I wasn't even thinking about the crime aspect... which is real.
I was referring to the Frat Party like noise and drinking aspect... which is also real.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:04 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
All of these choices come down to how much you want to be IN the party
... vs visiting the party now and then like on weekends.

Thames St is the heart of Fells Point and leads (east) to Canton.
Federal Hill is farther away... and adds complication.
---

If you're past the frat party and running around stage of life ...
then NONE of these are good choices -however convenient.
I could be wrong, but I thought that Canton was a bit quieter than Fells Point, in terms of late night partying. As another poster said, you'd want to be off the main drags, and it's a good idea to check out potential living spots on a Saturday night.

But then again, I live on a cul-de-sac in a nice, peaceful suburb, where the only sound I hear outside on a Saturday night is the crickets chirping. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:06 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
I wonder if South Baltimore (specifically, the area near Fort Avenue) might be more what the OP is looking for? It would be a bit of a longer commute, though it's bikeable in nice weather, and there's always the Charm City Circulator, or maybe the water taxi.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:32 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,253 times
Quote:
No matter what kind of neighborhood you live in, it gets progressively more dangerous as you move later into the evening.
I take it you never lived anywhere but Baltimore as there are plenty of places outside the city
where it is not dangerous at night. But in Baltimore, it is dangerous!

Old 02-03-2017, 07:39 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,091,069 times
Innet Harbor, Canton, Fells Point, Federal Hill.. Are all very good places to live if you are in your 20s and 30s. You may even want to expand your horizons by looking at Locust Point or even Mount Vernon. There is allot of foot traffic in these areas, so you wont feel naked outside. Baltimore City has had an increase in crime issues recently. About a 54% jump in some catagories. This effects every citizen in the city.

I personally like Fells Point (Not Upper Fells). It is one of the few neighborhoods that is still quant. With the cobble stone streets and small historic cafes and bars, your only a few blocks from modern inner harbour. If conditions are right in my future, I will consider being a homeowner there.

Meanwhile, parking is blah. Rent is very expensive in these neighborhoods, and because of that, each house can have 2-4 cars. But this is city life, we all know this prior. Even Baltimore Oriole players...

My final thought. The city is becoming a hot bed for development. People are moving to the city and the city will be different than it is today in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore