Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 07:58 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,740,574 times

Advertisements

Just about everyday when I take my walks around the harbor, I notice the same "homeless" folks standing/sitting in the same spot each day. Are most of these folks asking for change really in dire straights, having fallen on hard times, or perhaps have mental/cognitive disorders, or do you think a good percentage are just plain lazy. I just don't know how to feel about all these "homeless" people who don't seem to take any initiative to better their situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 09:49 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,689,433 times
ok.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:25 AM

255 posts, read 184,033 times
I think a lot of people view Baltimore people as lazy...there's a huge issue with homelessness in Baltimore just like California-just for different reasons.
But you always hear news stories about people pretending to be homeless when in reality they have expensive cars.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:17 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
You can't possibly see the homeless in the city, and make the expensive car connection.

I have to get off here. Getting a headache.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:11 AM

777 posts, read 881,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Just about everyday when I take my walks around the harbor, I notice the same "homeless" folks standing/sitting in the same spot each day. Are most of these folks asking for change really in dire straights, having fallen on hard times, or perhaps have mental/cognitive disorders, or do you think a good percentage are just plain lazy. I just don't know how to feel about all these "homeless" people who don't seem to take any initiative to better their situation.
Well, there's always treadmills if the
homeless bother you so much.

I have to give you credit. At least
you acknowledge the homeless.
Most people of your ilk wouldn't
give a whit.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:20 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,399 times
The homeless are often alcoholics or drug users. One bad thing leads to another.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:23 PM

293 posts, read 191,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
The homeless are often alcoholics or drug users. One bad thing leads to another.
Not all of them i think. I think most lost their jobs due to stuff like the stock market crash back in 2008 and such.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:14 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
Mental Illness, something a few on here should be familiar with.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:15 AM

537 posts, read 769,135 times
Quote:
It's usually a combination of the first three and substance use disorders that spiral out, and they end up on the street. Believe it or not, living out in the elements, without shelter, is not for the "just plain lazy."

LOL really? It's not easy to be homeless. It's not a Jack Kerouac novel, ok? It's about as easy as trying to go number two after not doing so for two weeks. Try going number two after not doing it for a while, and you will understand the point exactly, because having a normal lower GI systems is a pretty spot on analogy:

Some people have a gut that has them in constant diarrhea, some are chronically constipated, and the majority of the people go number two between once a day and twice a week and have stools that are of a normal quality (color and consistency). But why is that frequency so widespread and still considered normal? What qualities should a normal BM contain? This is gross to think about, but seriously...really think about this. Are the people that don't go once a week just being lazy, or is there a condition within their body causing them not to push one out? I can tell you what medical professionals would say, but if you're just determined to chalk it up to laziness, well...I don't know what to tell you.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:06 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,251,926 times
Quote:
dire straights

Common Errors in English Usage Daily Entry: dire straights/dire straits: Common Errors in English Usage Entry for Thursday, August 30, 2012
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore