Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
Turners Station area has historically been a black neighborhood
turners station is about a 80% black neighborhood in a 80% white city (dundalk)
some good, some bad, a lot of in between. there are parts of dundalk where people take extreme pride in their houses, yards, communities, and there are other parts of dundalk where people literally live like animals. i'd stay away from the big apartment complexes because it's been my experience that most renters who live in big complexes just don't really appreciate their neighborhoods. they will walk by a trash can and throw their trash on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 PM

251 posts, read 721,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
turners station is about a 80% black neighborhood in a 80% white city (dundalk)
Is Dundalk a city by any definition. I'm pretty sure it's just a neighborhood in the Baltimore area, like Towson.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,310,963 times
You are correct, Dundalk is an unincorporated area.

Dundalk, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-13-2011, 01:04 PM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by End-User View Post
Is Dundalk a city by any definition. I'm pretty sure it's just a neighborhood in the Baltimore area, like Towson.
well in the true definition of "city" maryland probably has less than 10 true cities.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:40 PM

Maryland only has 157 incorporated municipalities. Many of the state's largest communities, like Columbia, Towson, Silver Spring, are not included among them.

MD Incorporated Town Codes

Last edited by westsideboy; 07-13-2011 at 02:23 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 AM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Maryland only has 157 incorporated municipalities. Many of the state's largest communities, like Columbia, Towson, Silver Spring, are not included among them.

MD Incorporated Town Codes

Not sure how true it is but wiki states that Maryland only has 16 true cities:

Category:Cities in Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

annapolis
baltimore
bowie
college park
columbia
crisfield
cumberland
gaithersburg
greenbelt
hagerstown
havre de grace
laurel
new carollton
rockville
salisbury
westminster

Old 07-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
Not sure how true it is but wiki states that Maryland only has 16 true cities:

Category:Cities in Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

annapolis
baltimore
bowie
college park
columbia
crisfield
cumberland
gaithersburg
greenbelt
hagerstown
havre de grace
laurel
new carollton
rockville
salisbury
westminster
I don't think there is any legal distinction in Maryland among incorporated muncipalities. Whether a incorporated place chooses to call itself a "city" or "town" is up to them. Catagories like this on Wikipedia are user generated. For instance, I could go in right now and add Timbuktu, Lagos, and Budapest to the list I wished, it wouldn't make them "true cities in Maryland."

I love Wikipedia, and link to it often, but in this case, I am not sure what the rationalle is for choosing those communities to call "cities" but not a place like say, Frederick, which is (or recently was) the 2nd largest incorporated city in the state. Oversight is my guess. Wikipedia's strength (and weakness) is that it is always a work in progress.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 PM
(-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I don't think there is any legal distinction in Maryland among incorporated muncipalities. Whether a incorporated place chooses to call itself a "city" or "town" is up to them. Catagories like this on Wikipedia are user generated. For instance, I could go in right now and add Timbuktu, Lagos, and Budapest to the list I wished, it wouldn't make them "true cities in Maryland."

I love Wikipedia, and link to it often, but in this case, I am not sure what the rationalle is for choosing those communities to call "cities" but not a place like say, Frederick, which is (or recently was) the 2nd largest incorporated city in the state. Oversight is my guess. Wikipedia's strength (and weakness) is that it is always a work in progress.
looking at the data, i agree. much of the rationalle doesn't make sense to me. you have areas like dundalk, bowie, and columbia with so much sprawl and unincorporated areas classified as cities with metro areas and then you have a city like annapolis which it only lists as annapolis proper whereas much of what many marylanders would consider is annapolis is really, annapolis, parole, eastport, west annapolis, riva, cape st. claire, etc.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,426 times
I just want to say im hispanic n like the other said if you dont make much and you arent raciest you will be ok there. Personally i would never live there! If you have children beware ! I use to live over there now i do live in the vally . It is a few hundred more a month but if you serch in the vally area like lutherville or cockeysville you can find two br for only $829 or 995 a month. Not much more. I personally wouldnt mind it if i had no children but as a parent its not up to my stander of living and the schools are very poor!!!! I will say one thing if you are sociable you will meet people and they do watch out for each other so thats always a good thing. o and to the person who said you have flat screens . I know if i moved today in there they would see what nice things i have n id probably be a target on getting robed i really do beleave that.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 1,426 times
well i do hope you wherent trying to compare Dundalk to towson .towson is much nicer Dundalk is basically city living its dirty most of the people dont take pride in there home it makes me sad to go there n then u even have the poor people on corners asking for money that should be a city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore