Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:54 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times

Advertisements

https://baltimorepostexaminer.com/na...ate/2019/08/11

This doesn't surprise me at all. I'm surprised they stayed here this long. Poor attendance caused by a high crime rate, and elected officials just don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 12:50 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,964,660 times
Everything you say doesn't surprise me.

Yeah, what a hot bed of activity, Nashville.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:57 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Anything behind this speculation? It would be very bad news if true. I figure it is hard to separate the variables between "one of the worst MLB teams ever" and "The Nats moved to town." Was attendance better in the year the O's made the playoffs?

Old 08-13-2019, 02:48 PM

MLB attendance is down overall. The Giants have really bad attendance.

It's simple, Blake's dumb decision tied to Freddie Gray have really hurt public perception of what's going on down there. Prices have gone way up. And who's making any money anymore except an elite class of city workers many of whom are not even from here. The light rail is woeful. It needs to be completely redone.

(I still loathe that idiotic idea with the car races they had down there putting up grand stands and making the city look like crap for a bunch of out of town race fans that added little in money to the city, and had a history of adding little money where ever this was done, but sure as hell made any city ugly!)

I can remember when the O's were bad through the 00's and you couldn't get the hell out of down there on the light rail without being stuffed on the train. Standing room only packed on the train. And that was train, after train, after train......Not anymore.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
It would be sad to see because of the history, but it wouldn’t be surprising at all. Although, it won’t be an instant process if it does happen. MLB and the NFL have lengthy administrative processes. All the financing has to be in place from the new city, owners have to vote on it, and a lot of other administrative processes. That is why it took LA years to get back into the NFL even after the NFL and all the owners wanted to give them a team. It also took years to finalize the Expos going to DC (Angelos was able to stall the move for a while).

This could definitely happen but again, it won’t be immediate.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:08 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
The problems that the Orioles have are not about being in Baltimore.
Isn't Angelos dead yet? I'm tired of waiting for the new owner.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:18 PM

^
Bingo. You can't have the kind of record the O's have had over his ownership tenure and blame anybody else.
Angelos might have given a lot to the city, but I see him getting more out of this city then he ever gave it. He's another carpet bagger from the Midwest!

The O's aren't going anywhere. Get real. And that location, and Stadium are great. You need real leadership down there! All around!

Old 08-13-2019, 03:38 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
^
Bingo. You can't have the kind of record the O's have had over his ownership tenure and blame anybody else.
Angelos might have given a lot to the city, but I see him getting more out of this city then he ever gave it. He's another carpet bagger from the Midwest!

The O's aren't going anywhere. Get real. And that location, and Stadium are great. You need real leadership down there! All around!
Yeah, that's what I think. It is a pretty sweet location for ballpark in an area that is traditionally full of baseball fans (NE corridor city,) just need a better team and for the city to improve both safety and perception of safety. The perception probably being more important.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
I understand the lease on the ballpark is up in two years. This sounds like a negotiating tactic to me.

I also understand that MLB is getting concerned with who is actually running the O's. There is some doubt as to Angelos actual operation and that unnamed family members and staffers are actually making decisions that show no central control.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:46 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
I made up my mind a long time ago that I wouldn’t follow the Orioles until they got an owner who was also a baseball fan, in at least a comparable level to be in a businessman. Even a halfway decent businessman would understand that paying to get good players who give you a winning team will pay dividends in the long run. Angelos is neither a fan nor a good businessman, other than he makes a profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore