Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 11:39 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,288,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
That's reality. Anybody trying for nuance or playing a "change the issue" card is going to have the weight of social and main stream media come down fast and hard on them.

Welcome to 2020.
I think that propaganda typically hammers away at one aspect, in order to manipulate people. Analysis looks at all aspects of an issue in its fullness, in order to reach a rational point of view. Training in philosophy or analysis inclines people to think in terms of "however" and "on the other hand," both of which seem to be sorely missing from both mainstream and social media.

Old 06-08-2020, 11:40 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,082,296 times
At best, GF's history might explain the extraneous measures to subdue him at first, if the arresting officers had that information before they confronted him. Once he was down and in cuffs, that should have been enough.

I doubt the two rookies will be convicted of First Degree Murder, though, since they did not have any way to stop the senior officer. Anyone who has been in a position similar to what they were in can understand that.

All that said, when/if audio and video from body cams is released, many could change their minds about guilt in either direction.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:16 PM

8,230 posts, read 13,350,173 times
Police Reform...an overused phrase that has been around since the 1960s and the results have varied....Abolish the Police.. its been around a while also and is the language of some leftist radicals and maybe even some white supremacist or black nationals that want to bait a race war to topple the current government and rebuild it or form their own separate republic....

Defund the Police... What does that even mean? I would doubt it means to Abolish the Police.... because..well .. they can just say that ( and some do) as it still rhymes with whatever jingle you put to it....So if you chop of the left and the right spin doctors spinning it for their own purposes and live in the middle where most people do. its about the allocation funding. How much funding? That is likely part of the discussion.. what is too much in Dallas may not be enough in Baltimore... the police being an arm of local government means ..LOCAL is where the conversation needs to start and each community needs to discuss and implement those budgets, policies, establish maintain or re -establish those relationship with neighborhoods. Cities need to put in the appropriate safeguards in consultation with its residents that they feel are appropriate and allocate their resources based on those shared priorities/guidance from residents and local leaders...since this will not be a one size fit all approach and may vary from city to city.

So Defund the Police.. on the surface has done what it was supposed to do..it has gotten people talking.. if for no other reason to discuss what does it mean and if you accept Police Reform too conservative and inadequate and to Abolish as too radical... then there is the beginning of the conversation which.. I believe needs to start locally.

Last edited by Woodlands; 06-08-2020 at 12:28 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 12:25 PM

11,366 posts, read 9,278,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Police Reform...an overused phrase that has been around since the 1960s and the results have varied....Abolish the Police.. the language of some leftist radicals and maybe even some white supremacist or black nationals that want to bait a race war to topple the current government and rebuild it or form their own separate republic....

Defund the Police... What does that even mean? I would doubt it means to Abolish the Police.... because..well .. they can just say that ( and some do) as it still rhymes with whatever jingle you put to it....So if you chop of the left and the right spin doctors spinning it for their own purposes and live where most people do. its about the allocation funding. How much funding? That is likely part of the discussion.. what is too much in Dallas may not be enough in Baltimore... the police being an arm of local government means ..LOCAL is where the conversation needs to start and each community needs to discuss and implement those budgets, policies, establish maintain or re -establish those relationship with neighborhoods and put in whatever the appropriate safeguards these cities in consultation with its residents feel is appropriate...since this will not be a one size fit all approach.So Defund the Police.. on the surface.. has gotten people talking.. if for no other reason to discuss what does THAT mean if you accept Police Reform as inadequate and Abolish as too radical.
Bolded - stupid and should be dismissed. No need for me to post examples.

I see graffiti around here "no police." Yes, it apparently means just that to non-thinking people, most I say are not upstanding citizens.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
At best, GF's history might explain the extraneous measures to subdue him at first, if the arresting officers had that information before they confronted him. Once he was down and in cuffs, that should have been enough.

I doubt the two rookies will be convicted of First Degree Murder, though, since they did not have any way to stop the senior officer. Anyone who has been in a position similar to what they were in can understand that.

All that said, when/if audio and video from body cams is released, many could change their minds about guilt in either direction.
Neither will Derek Chauvin because by the definition of the law it is not. I am nervous that the charge was upped to 2nd degree. I have my doubts he will be convicted of that but I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully Chauvin will do the right thing and end his own life. I don't care to go through with this trial and take the chance he will get off with a light sentence which is possible. We will be going through these riots all over again and this time Baltimore may not be spared.

Old 06-08-2020, 04:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Neither will Derek Chauvin because by the definition of the law it is not. I am nervous that the charge was upped to 2nd degree. I have my doubts he will be convicted of that but I hope I'm wrong.

Hopefully Chauvin will do the right thing and end his own life. I don't care to go through with this trial and take the chance he will get off with a light sentence which is possible. We will be going through these riots all over again and this time Baltimore may not be spared.

Yup. If he is not sentenced/found guilty, you can expect riots/protests taken to the next level. There may not be any US cities left in tact if that happens.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:40 PM

17,616 posts, read 6,900,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
You guessed wrong.

Currently about 1,000 people are dying in the United States alone everyday from it. A spike in the upcoming days will not surprise me.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-2020-n1177936
Every COVID19 death from here on out is the responsibility of Democrat politicians, "peaceful protestors," and those who support them.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:43 PM

17,616 posts, read 6,900,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You continue to lump all Democrats together as if we all think the same way. Make blanket statements about a group of people based on the actions or ideologies of a few in that group is how a racist thinks. Be very very careful.

No we do not all want the police de-funded, personally I think it's a terrible idea. The vast majority of the protester were peaceful, the riots were conducted mostly after dark and by a small segment just there to start trouble. You still do not understand the difference between a protester and a rioter and that's the problem here.

As for the comment on the shut down why again would Governors cannibalize their state's economy? You actually believe they will purposely destroy their state's economy just to hurt Trump? Just too funny. He has convinced you that every bad thing to come down the pike is just a plot to take down the President. It's entertaining watching him manipulate you to this extent.
It doesn't matter what you *say* here. You vote for people who support defunding the police. Thus, you support defunding the police by your conduct. Don't run away from your voting record, try owning it instead of mischaracterizing it.

And why is it that only blue states remain under lockdown orders? Gee, I'm sure politics has nothing to do with it. Try thinking for a change Dave. And thinking doesn't mean repeating what the DNC propaganda outlets/media tell you.

Old 06-08-2020, 06:40 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,685,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Try thinking for a change Dave. And thinking doesn't mean repeating what the DNC propaganda outlets/media tell you.
Do you legit not recognize the irony? Your entire post was just a string of unrelated talking points jammed together.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Every COVID19 death from here on out is the responsibility of Democrat politicians, "peaceful protestors," and those who support them.
Silly statement. More people did not protest than did. But according to you every death from here on out is the fault of democrats only while the lazy buffoon in the White House who ignored science gets a pass.

Do you have a link that stated democratic politicians told others to out and protest without masks and skip social distancing?

Most protests were peaceful and I support their right to do so. Not something I would do especially with this pandemic which did not magically go away like your dear leader king / dictator wannabe said it would.

Anyone who voted for Trump is responsible for the United States lower standing in the world, laughing stock actually, as well as increased racism and the unrest we are now experiencing.

Vote stupid and you get stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore