Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,871 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine anyone moving to Baltimore as the crime rate is the highest in the nation. Every night I turn on the news, the first 5 minutes or more is on who shot who in Baltimore. Where you are working is wonderful and I know we need to fill slots at the prestigious hospital. I am only writing to inquire about your dog, what type, how old etc..I love dogs and have 2 that are 6 and 12. Sounds like he'll be home alone a lot with your hours at first. Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM

45 posts, read 183,132 times
Default First 5 Minutes of News is always bad

Shareon

I live outside of Denver and the first 5 minutes of our news is just the same. 4 people murdered, one rape victim in critical condition and multiple fires all over the state. I don't deny the stats, however, I don't think the local news is a place to view how good/bad a city is.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:05 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,069 times
Civilians don't get killed so often in Baltimore-I'll grant you that-what wears is the constant disorder, the endless menace and threat.

That'll change when people demand better-and vote!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:06 AM

156 posts, read 786,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
Civilians don't get killed so often in Baltimore-I'll grant you that-what wears is the constant disorder, the endless menace and threat.

That'll change when people demand better-and vote!
"Civilians" don't get killed? Huh? I don't hear of too many members of the armed forces or police getting killed in Balt. Just who are you talking about?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM

Civilians are what the people in the criminal environment call ordinary citizens.

It's also what the cops call them-I think it leaked from the cops, just like the practice of calling men and women males and females in ordinary conversation.

Or ''conversating'', as it came to be called.

Now you know.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:36 AM

Your post insinuates there is some inherent difference in the quality of the lives of those "other than civilians" (what's your name for them?) who are victims of Baltimore's violent culture. This is a major part of why it is so difficult to solve Baltimore's murder epidemic. As long as it's "them" getting killed and not "civilians" we seem to be OK with it. Although not stated, it is clearly intimated in your post.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 AM

I'm not ok with it, but it seems they are.

When you enter the criminal environment, you volunteer for what comes next.

It's not a murder epidemic-it's a series of small gang wars.

Baltimore is a violent place, and always has been-people kill over trifles, especially in the drug underground.

I insinuate nothing-these are criminals, and frankly, their lives are worthless because of the harm they do, and because they don't value them.

It's self selection, like drug addiction-you join up, what happens next is your own look-out.

Please stop making excuses for the underclass and the useless lives they lead(red, yellow, black, white or brown, there are all kinds of gangsters.)

Sounds cold?

Deal with it.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
I'm not ok with it, but it seems they are.

When you enter the criminal environment, you volunteer for what comes next.

It's not a murder epidemic-it's a series of small gang wars.

Baltimore is a violent place, and always has been-people kill over trifles, especially in the drug underground.

I insinuate nothing-these are criminals, and frankly, their lives are worthless because of the harm they do, and because they don't value them.

It's self selection, like drug addiction-you join up, what happens next is your own look-out.

Please stop making excuses for the underclass and the useless lives they lead(red, yellow, black, white or brown, there are all kinds of gangsters.)

Sounds cold?

Deal with it.
It's unfortunate you seem to place a higher value on the lives of so-called civilians (yourself included, I presume) than those who fall victim to societies ills while growing up in neighborhoods that give them only a choice among bad choices. This is exactly the frame of mind that makes these problems so difficult to solve. I suggest you take a bit of your own advice and help us all deal with it.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 PM

I spent thirty years involved with the problem-only to see it get worse.

Fall victim? Do you know how long it takes to become a heroin addict?

Stop pitying and enabling-that's the worst thing that can be done.

Life is not easy in those neighborhoods-I've seen it close up-but not all the choices are bad ones, and there is help offered, and too many choose to scorn it.

Like I said, deal with it.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 PM

54 posts, read 255,781 times
Yeah, um let those who want to help those "poor needy people" have at it. I got the hell out of the Baltimore cesspool and couldn't be happier. I realized that it was harming me emotionally and physically living there. I moved to somewhere diverse, but guess what? The people aren't trifling, entitlement minded, hand out, "you owe me" types. It is so awesome to have my faith restored in humanity again! Oh, and I can also carry a purse now too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
View detailed profiles of: