Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 05:38 PM

23 posts, read 75,919 times

Advertisements

Where else in the city could a single, petite fraidy cat of a woman live in Baltimore with her little dog and two cats? I am not too familiar with Baltimore, but I've hung out in Hampden many times and viewed interiors of homes there, and it seems SO safe there, but it's quite pricey. I love the little front yards and porches!

I'm always looking at real estate on Craigslist, and Washington Village seems to have great prices in the cheap $100K range -- good for a secretary. But from what I've read it's an iffy neighborhood.

Where can one find a 2-bed/1.5 bath row house in the $100K range that's safe and has things to do? I wouldn't want to be isolated and bored.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 10:53 AM

181 posts, read 633,889 times
It's going to be hard to find a house in Hampden for $100K, unless it's in really bad shape or a fixer-upper. Hate to say it, but the more money you pay, the better area you get--generally. Carol Ott on this list is a big fan of Washington Village, but she doesn't respond to inquiries about that place: you must refer to the area as "Pigtown" or else! You certainly wouldn't be bored there; a lot of street action. But it probably wouldn't work for a fraidy cat, unless your dog was a trained, killer attack dog.

It sounds like you need to rent for a while and keep looking.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:47 PM

Thanks, medfieldbum. I know, Hampden's expensive. My little dog wouldn't be more than an ankle biter. I'm just afraid that if criminals see a petite woman alone with no man in the house, they may break in.

What's Medfield like for you? Someone told me that a single woman should not live in Medfield.

I'll have to drive/walk through Pigtown/Washington Village sometime.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:04 PM

181 posts, read 633,889 times
It's ok; centrally located; close to Roland Park and Hampden, I83. A quick shot down Falls Road will take you downtown along the Jones Falls stream very quickly without using the JFX.

Medfield is not particularly bad for a single woman who drives. One of our neighbors is a young single woman. She said recently she loves her house and would like never to leave-but she has to go to work. She also goes to grad school at the University of Baltimore.

You might be able to find a room or small apartment on craigslist in Hampden, or even in Medfield. Plenty of single people live in the apartments near me in Medfield-though they are mostly older.

Criminals, with rare exceptions, break into house when no one is home. If you have good locks, good common sense, and a barking dog, they probably won't break in if you're there. Again, it sound like you need to rent in an area that's good, but perhaps in a building with other apartments to make yourself more comfortable. The other option is to hook up with one or two other women as roommates and rent a house together.

My wife and I own a rowhouse in Hampden and have had 3 great groups of young people in it who were friends and they split my outrageously high rent. But they got a whole nice house with a full basement, nice yard, and a deck. Of course, they had to share the 1.5 bathrooms and all the other expenses.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:35 AM

689 posts, read 3,217,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annisette View Post
Thanks, medfieldbum. I know, Hampden's expensive. My little dog wouldn't be more than an ankle biter. I'm just afraid that if criminals see a petite woman alone with no man in the house, they may break in.

What's Medfield like for you? Someone told me that a single woman should not live in Medfield.

I'll have to drive/walk through Pigtown/Washington Village sometime.
Please do come by and see me if you're in the neighborhood. If you come Wednesday through Sunday and I'm not crazy busy, I'd be more than happy to walk around with you and show you around!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 AM

258 posts, read 1,011,775 times
What the hell is Washington Village? Is that the apartment complex out in Essex?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:46 AM

I think...a juvenile detention facility? Dunno. However, you should definitely come to Pigtown!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:14 AM

carolott, thanks so much! That is so sweet of you and much appreciate. Would LOVE to take you up on that at some point!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annisette View Post
carolott, thanks so much! That is so sweet of you and much appreciate. Would LOVE to take you up on that at some point!
Please do! I love walking around the neighborhood.

We also have weekly get-togethers and happy hours...if you happen to be here on one of those days, all the better!

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-16-2008 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: please use the DM feature to contact other members. thanks

Old 05-17-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolott View Post
Please do! I love walking around the neighborhood.

We also have weekly get-togethers and happy hours...if you happen to be here on one of those days, all the better!
That sounds awesome!!! I live 1.5 hours away, but I will definitely take you up on that during one of my visits! Thanks, carolott. I definitely appreciate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore