Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM

23 posts, read 75,922 times

Advertisements

Are the people friendlier in Baltimore than in DC/N. VA? For years I've been living in N. VA and working in DC, and have found it more difficult to make good friends here.

Do you guys notice a difference between Baltimore and DC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:38 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,603,482 times
There are friendly and aloof people all over. I tend not to generalize and I have developed ongoing friendships in DC but overall, I would say that people tend to open up more in Baltimore.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:06 PM

689 posts, read 3,217,228 times
Having lived in all three, I can say without a doubt that people tend to be much friendlier in Baltimore. And what you do for a living isn't the first question upon meeting new people...unless they happen to be from DC/N.VA and then it's a dead giveaway every time.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 PM

23 posts, read 75,922 times
Thanks much for your responses! It's what I suspected. It's so true that the very first thing people ask is where you work and what you do.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:42 PM

381 posts, read 814,621 times
Don't generalize.

The Atlantic seaboard (DC, Balt, Philly, NYC, Boston) tends to have cities where people aren't exactly the friendliest.

It goes with the territory.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:19 PM

757 posts, read 2,555,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Don't generalize.

The Atlantic seaboard (DC, Balt, Philly, NYC, Boston) tends to have cities where people aren't exactly the friendliest.

Isn't that a generalization?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:38 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,603,482 times
Quote:
Don't generalize.

Actually I tend to agree with this post. Even though I try not to generalize, I think there is some merit to it.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 32,426 times
Smile Baltimore is a friendly town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annisette View Post
Are the people friendlier in Baltimore than in DC/N. VA? For years I've been living in N. VA and working in DC, and have found it more difficult to make good friends here.

Do you guys notice a difference between Baltimore and DC?

I grew up in B-more and now live in the District. I can tell you what I always tell people down here -- Baltimore is a much friendlier town than DC and N.VA, which I think is a very sterile place! People I have made friends with in DC say the same thing-- it just takes a long time to make friends and people seem to be more guarded and superficial in DC.

Don't know what you are looking for there but there are lots of beautiful neighborhoods, whether you want a row house or single family home in Baltimore, despite the bad rap it gets around the DC area. Check out the Live Baltimore website to learn about all the different communities.

Best of luck!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:18 AM

743 posts, read 2,244,231 times
Quote:
Don't generalize.

You can add Charlotte to that as well since most of the people from these areas are relocating here, they carry the traditions with them.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:04 PM

689 posts, read 3,217,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_TMermaid View Post

I grew up in B-more and now live in the District. I can tell you what I always tell people down here -- Baltimore is a much friendlier town than DC and N.VA, which I think is a very sterile place! People I have made friends with in DC say the same thing-- it just takes a long time to make friends and people seem to be more guarded and superficial in DC.

Don't know what you are looking for there but there are lots of beautiful neighborhoods, whether you want a row house or single family home in Baltimore, despite the bad rap it gets around the DC area. Check out the Live Baltimore website to learn about all the different communities.

Best of luck!
"Sterile". That's a good word for it. Speaking only from experience, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore