Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2022, 09:26 PM

2,293 posts, read 3,956,708 times

Advertisements

I found this on Reddit Maryland. I hope the Angelos family sells the team to a local group of investors. I'm tired of the losing and underinvestment. That not the "Oriole Way"

https://www.thebaltimorebanner.com/l...socialnewsdesk

Quote:
The two sons of longtime Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos are fighting over the future of the baseball team, their father’s law firm and the family fortune, according to an explosive new lawsuit.

Louis Angelos, 52, of Baltimore County, sued his brother and mother Thursday in Baltimore County Circuit Court. He claims his father intended for the two brothers to control the team equally, but that John, 54, of Nashville, has grabbed power.

“John intends to maintain absolute control over the Orioles — to manage, to sell, or, if he chooses, to move to Tennessee (where he has a home and where his wife’s career is headquartered) — without having to answer to anyone,” according to the lawsuit.

The suit says a top priority of Angelos’ wife Georgia, 80, has been to sell the team, and an advisor went about trying to negotiate a sale in 2020. Louis Angelos says John Angelos nixed the deal.

In early 2020, the suit says, the Orioles learned that “an excellent deal with a credible group of buyers was ripe for development.” A sale of the team prior to Mr. Angelos’ death would have resulted in a sizeable tax hit, but a team official conceptualized a two-step sale that would enable the Angelos family to realize significant tax savings. Louis believes John nixed the deal; the buyer group came back in May 2020, and their mother had an attorney speak to her sons in an unsuccessful attempt to convince them to sell.

While the lawsuit speculates that John Angelos might want to move the team, there are no allegations that he took any such steps. John Angelos has said the team would not be moving. “As long as Fort McHenry is watching over the harbor, the Orioles will be in Baltimore,” John Angelos told Baltimore Magazine in 2019.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 08:13 AM

926 posts, read 1,258,746 times
They’ve been fielding a AAA team for the last six years. I’m not paying major league prices to see triple A baseball so they better get it together

Old 07-29-2022, 08:46 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,908,599 times
They are currently one of the biggest surprises in baseball and the future looks bright with one of the best farm systems and a stockpile of great draft choices the past few years.

After being almost 20 years behind every other team in baseball in terms of how to build a franchise, develop a farm system, scout in Latin America, and navigate free agency, they finally seem have gotten it together.

So I think talks about them moving have quelled for now. Although everyone has heard the rumors that one of the Angelos brother wants to move them (even though he denies it and the other brother doesn't). There's also a hurdle that moves in the MLB require a majority of the owners to approve, so it can't happen easily.

I do think if the team ultimately doesn't end up improving, and more importantly, if it doesn't translate to fan attendance and revenue, the momentum to moving to a hot market like Nashville could happen. The Expos were teetering for years and eventually moved to DC despite strong opposition from the Orioles.

So, I think for now there isn't any imminent concern about them moving, because the future looks so bright for Baltimore. But, I think if things don't pan out in the next 5 years and they slide back into being a bottom feeder team like they have for most of the last 30 years, then a hot market like Nashville will put the pressure on them to consider moving.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:47 AM

45,561 posts, read 60,822,331 times
I heard Dan Snyder was looking to expand his sports and entertainment empire. So who knows?

With the Angelos' family dynamics I'd expect a sale ala Jack Kent Cooke and the then Redskins situation. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 07-29-2022, 09:53 AM

20,193 posts, read 9,104,849 times
Orioles are more exciting this year than they've been in 5 years.

Old 07-29-2022, 11:06 AM

1,211 posts, read 810,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
They are currently one of the biggest surprises in baseball and the future looks bright with one of the best farm systems and a stockpile of great draft choices the past few years.

After being almost 20 years behind every other team in baseball in terms of how to build a franchise, develop a farm system, scout in Latin America, and navigate free agency, they finally seem have gotten it together.

So I think talks about them moving have quelled for now. Although everyone has heard the rumors that one of the Angelos brother wants to move them (even though he denies it and the other brother doesn't). There's also a hurdle that moves in the MLB require a majority of the owners to approve, so it can't happen easily.

I do think if the team ultimately doesn't end up improving, and more importantly, if it doesn't translate to fan attendance and revenue, the momentum to moving to a hot market like Nashville could happen. The Expos were teetering for years and eventually moved to DC despite strong opposition from the Orioles.

So, I think for now there isn't any imminent concern about them moving, because the future looks so bright for Baltimore. But, I think if things don't pan out in the next 5 years and they slide back into being a bottom feeder team like they have for most of the last 30 years, then a hot market like Nashville will put the pressure on them to consider moving.
I can see the A's or the Rays moving before Orioles. Camden Yard is still a nice stadium 30 years later.

Mike Elias is a good GM otherwise as long as the Angelos stay out of the way. Being an Astros fan myself (I grew up in Houston area...) he's part of that team that turn that team around (trash can or not ).

Old 07-29-2022, 02:17 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,969,838 times
By far the situation in Oakland is much bleaker. Attendance is last in MLB with a steep decline this year, and with a tax break for moving to Vegas, combined with a facility that's considered substandard by today's ballpark standards, I'd give them four years at the most. Baltimore as a city also may be nearing a bottom when you combine the Freddie Gray, COVID, and the last few mayors. I actually attended not just a game earlier this season, but also went to see Paul McCartney, and when you can draw big name concerts in addition to games, there's still a purpose to come and see a big event.

As far as the Rays, they too also suffer from a below-average stadium, but despite some success over the past half decade that has included playoffs and even a World Series appearance, the transient nature of Central Florida combined with many transplants who prefer their native team hasn't really translated well at the gate, and if cities like Nashville, Raleigh, or Charlotte want an MLB team, this is who I'd pitch after first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore