Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 01:29 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,531,096 times

Advertisements

after just five years?

Quote:
In August 2018, Guinness opened Guinness Open Gate Brewery & Barrel House, its first brewery to operate in the United States since leaving New York in 1954.

Based just south of Baltimore Guinness’ on 62-acre brewing campus once home to the Calvert Distillery a legendary post-Prohibition operator that that for decades produced the mid-Atlantic’s popular Lord Calvert Whisky, the brewry’s opening was widely celebrated.

The $90m operation is home three separate brewhouses– a small two barrel pilot brewery, a 10 barrel brewhouse dedicated to experimental beer, and a custom-designed 100 hectoliter brew hub as well as large and small-scale packaging lines.

But it won’t be for long…

On May 31st Diageo, the London-based drinks major that now owns Guinness, filed a Work Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) notice that its Guinness manufacturing facility in Maryland is set to shut down by 9 June 2023.

, Guinness To Close Baltimore Production BreweryIn a statement to American Craft Beer, Diageo explained its decision, a decision that according to the filing could impact 108 brewery employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 05:01 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times
I just drove by the plant last week. I wonder what financial incentives MD gave Guinness to open a plant in Halethorpe.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:58 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
The state's economic development agency helped them locate there but I do not know if any financial incentives were involved. Those programs that give financial incentives to open new businesses are just like the social programs in cities, a grand waste of taxpayer money. If sales warranted higher production, that plant would already have been the primary candidate to expand to because the company had owned the facility for years.

The stories don't say if they are closing the restaurant and brewpub also. I always questioned the logic of putting a brewpub out in the middle of nowhere. It belongs in a city, town or shopping area that has a lot of foot traffic.

Old 04-06-2023, 06:43 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
The state's economic development agency helped them locate there but I do not know if any financial incentives were involved. Those programs that give financial incentives to open new businesses are just like the social programs in cities, a grand waste of taxpayer money. If sales warranted higher production, that plant would already have been the primary candidate to expand to because the company had owned the facility for years.

The stories don't say if they are closing the restaurant and brewpub also. I always questioned the logic of putting a brewpub out in the middle of nowhere. It belongs in a city, town or shopping area that has a lot of foot traffic.
They are keeping the restaurant/pub open since it is wildly popular. Or at least for the time being.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:21 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
They are keeping the restaurant/pub open since it is wildly popular. Or at least for the time being.
Damn, I was scared when I clicked on this thread at first! Guinness is planning to(coincidentally enough) open a Chicago restaurant and pub, a la the one they opened in Baltimore. I worry hearing this news their Baltimore brewery is closing, that it could be a hidden sign that the brewpub in Baltimore plus yet to open one in Chicago, doesn't last in business for more than a few years. But I hope I'm proven wrong, and both do stay open.

Old 04-07-2023, 08:54 AM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
The restaurant is actually quite popular AFAIK.

And suburbanites go to brewpub also...that's what that giant parking lot next to the brewery is for .

Old 04-07-2023, 01:28 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Can't see a brewpub keeping a 62 acre parcel of land from being redeveloped. It's a nice place but ...

Old 04-07-2023, 08:39 PM

Where is Sagamore Rye Whiskey made? Perhaps they can open a distillery/whiskey bar at the site.

Old 04-07-2023, 09:55 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Where is Sagamore Rye Whiskey made? Perhaps they can open a distillery/whiskey bar at the site.
They distill and bottle it by the water in Port Covington. The Halethorpe site would be ideal because that is where Lord Calvert whisky was made.

Old 04-08-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
They distill and bottle it by the water in Port Covington. The Halethorpe site would be ideal because that is where Lord Calvert whisky was made.
I imagine they could at least age the whiskey in Halethorpe.

Alternatively, make the site available to area microbreweries and allow them to open up a beer hall with live indoor/outdoor entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore