Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 02:53 PM

948 posts, read 1,141,851 times

Advertisements

We are moving from TX to MD and found a rental property which we like to move in next month. It is currently tenant occupied and wont be available until 1 May. We did a facetime walk tour with the listing agent since we are still in TX and the agent wants us to sign the lease asap to guarantee that we get the property.

What's the standard move in inspection procedure in the state of MD? Not quite sure if I should sign the lease online without seeing the property in person?

I have 2 options, 1) Fly out to MD and check out the property in person and then sign the lease sometime next week. 2) Have my cousin (lives in the local area) check out the property for me and once he OK's it, I can sign the lease online. Either way, since it's currently occupied by tenant, I would like to ensure all repair works are completed (if any) once the existing tenant moves out and before we move in. The carpets are soiled and want to have it cleaned by the landlord before move in date.

If we end up signing the lease this week or next, when should we request for a walk in inspection? Lease start date is 1 May, but we wont be officially moving in until 4th week of May from TX. Should I request the landlord to schedule a move in inspection first week of May with my cousin or wait until we move in end of May? I know this is little tricky since we are living out of state and wont be moving in 4 weeks after the lease starts.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 04:06 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
.....If we end up signing the lease this week or next, when should we request for a walk in inspection? Lease start date is 1 May, but we wont be officially moving in until 4th week of May from TX. Should I request the landlord to schedule a move in inspection first week of May with my cousin or wait until we move in end of May?....
Does your cousin have the flexibility to inspect the house whenever the carpets are cleaned? The landlord may promise to get them cleaned immediately, but he is at the mercy of a cleaning crew. Suppose it does not happen until May 25th. I would try to withhold some of the deposit money until the carpets are finished.

Another suggestion is for your cousin to make sure everything promised is still there. For example, are the blinds and curtains supposed to be left in the house? What about chandeliers, etc. ?

Old 04-10-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Does your cousin have the flexibility to inspect the house whenever the carpets are cleaned? The landlord may promise to get them cleaned immediately, but he is at the mercy of a cleaning crew. Suppose it does not happen until May 25th. I would try to withhold some of the deposit money until the carpets are finished.

Another suggestion is for your cousin to make sure everything promised is still there. For example, are the blinds and curtains supposed to be left in the house? What about chandeliers, etc. ?
Yes, my cousin lives 15 minutes away from the property. So he can stop by to check up on the work. I’m not sure if they might like the idea of withholding the deposit until they finish the work. Because I think the deposit and one month rent upfront are due at time of signing the lease.
Yes, that would be a good idea to ensure everything as promised is still available in the property. Thanks for the tip

Old 04-10-2023, 07:33 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,110,804 times
It's not tricky at all; what they are demanding of you is tricky.

What county is this property in? I ask because Baltimore County has a law that requires a licensed building inspector inspect the rental property, and the signed certificate that it has passed inspection needs to be filed with the county and a fee paid to get a certificate of occupancy. This has to be done every three years, and it must be done before the tenants move in. The landlord is subject to a fine of $10,000 a day, for every day that the property is occupied without that county issued certificate of occupancy. They passed that law because there are a lot of liars in the business.

As for me, I wouldn't sign anything or give anyone any money until I saw the property vacant and in move in condition, for the same reason that they passed that law.

Last edited by james777; 04-10-2023 at 07:42 PM..

Old 04-10-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
It's not tricky at all; what they are demanding of you is tricky.

What county is this property in? I ask because Baltimore County has a law that requires a licensed building inspector inspect the rental property, and the signed certificate that it has passed inspection needs to be filed with the county and a fee paid to get a certificate of occupancy. This has to be done every three years, and it must be done before the tenants move in. The landlord is subject to a fine of $10,000 a day, for every day that the property is occupied without that county issued certificate of occupancy. They passed that law because there are a lot of liars in the business.

As for me, I wouldn't sign anything or give anyone any money until I saw the property vacant and in move in condition.

It's in Ellicott City, Howard County.

Old 04-11-2023, 05:42 AM

34,104 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
We are moving from TX to MD and found a rental property which we like to move in next month.
It is currently tenant occupied and (isn't expected to be) available until 1 May.
Don't count on it actually being ready to move into at that time.

Quote:
..the agent wants us to sign the lease asap ...
Of course they do.
Quote:
...to guarantee that we get the property.
Don't sign a lease or pay more than a token "holding" fee (10%?) until the place is ready to move in.
The agent can EASILY draft a simple agreement that this fee will be applied to the
lease and security once everything else is verified.

Quote:
I have 2 options, 1) Fly out to MD and check ...2) Have my cousin (lives in the local area) check
Absolutely. Have cousin walk through and look for anything (beyond cleaning) that isn't 'right'
He should go with someone who knows something about houses and what to look for.

Quote:
The carpets are soiled ... when should we request for a walk in inspection?
Cousin should be called by agent to return after the house is vacated and they assert it is ready to move.
Verify everything on your list...

Quote:
Lease start date is 1 May, but ...
Lease start date is at some point AFTER all the above is accomplished.

Good Luck.

Last edited by MrRational; 04-11-2023 at 05:50 AM..

Old 04-11-2023, 06:47 AM

45,454 posts, read 60,666,498 times
I think some of you are getting twisted around between a pre-rental tenant inspection and a rental license inspection.

The first is by the tenant (obviously) prior to taking possession to document any pre-existing issues (broken windows, worn carpeting, etc.) that would impact the security deposit return in the future.

The second is statutory to ascertain that the property meets whatever livability code for rentals that the jurisdiction has adopted. Typically included are the presence of smoke/CO alarms, working plumbing, window screens, heating as well as miscellaneous other safety or livability standards.

Many jurisdictions, if not most, tie that inspection into the rental license renewal which is usually by date (every year, two years, whatever) and isn't dependent on whether or not the property is currently occupied. There are a few jurisdictions that require a code inspection upon vacancy.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:14 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
....... Have cousin walk through and look for anything (beyond cleaning) that isn't 'right'. He should go with someone who knows something about houses and what to look for.
Examples, but not an exhaustive list. Be sure to test the air-conditioning and the hot water heater for adequacy. Look for any evidence of flooding in the basement. Look for overhanging trees for damage to gutters and roofing. Ask if there are records of what the gas and electric bills have been during the winter.

Old 04-16-2023, 11:05 PM

Thank you so much for all the responses. My cousin did end up checking out the property and everything looks good so far. The landlord has agreed to do carpet cleaning once the current tenant moves out and show proof of receipt for the service performed.

Another question, how much notice do I need to give when terminating the lease? The landlord is asking for 90 days for a 6 month lease. I thought 60 days was the standard? Is it negotiable?

Old 04-17-2023, 05:48 AM

34,104 posts, read 83,042,686 times
Quote:
The landlord is asking for 90 days for a 6 month lease.
I thought 60 days was the standard? Is it negotiable?
I'll say NO. On this sort of short term lease not much is 'standard'.
Frankly, I'm surprised they'll even shampoo the carpets.

Bigger Q: Why are you painting yourself into this corner at all?
A 'standard' lease is a one year contract with the right (expectation) of renewal.
This is the sort of security your family needs while you (and wife too perhaps) do the work
to find the sort of 'right fit' career positions that justify relocation and home purchases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore