Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 02:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They are in some ways. A bit more...
A bit of this and a bit of that is just so much balloon squeezing. Ya know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDogDemHandbook
The issue is about the tax base of owner occupied homes and locally owned business.
The ratio of owner to renter is completely out whack ... absent a low skill industrial base.
NONE of the answers are executable by ANY elected official.
Quote:
You lived in Baltimore, or at least Maryland, yes?
Sure did. The city proper until the mid 70's then the County; mostly Catonsville until 2011.
Quote:
Why did you move?
To make riding motorcycles on the Blue Ridge Parkway (among other nice mountain roads) simpler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 02:31 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
A bit of this and a bit of that is just so much balloon squeezing. Ya know?

Sure did. The city proper until the mid 70's then the County; mostly Catonsville until 2011.
To make riding motorcycles on the Blue Ridge Parkway (among other nice mountain roads) simpler.
That "balloon squeezing", as you put it, can have a long term impact. Yes, it's anathema now but it's nothing more than the broken window policing.

Make landlords clean up their crap or make it so uncomfortable they'll do it. Enforce the quality of life crimes. Then tackle the endemic poverty.

There's no sustained effort from either the City or the State.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Then tackle the endemic poverty.
Nope. If anything that's last; the result of the other effort will have that come along for the ride with that success.
And landlords? What world do you live in?

Want a solution? The sort of jobs would allow a 40-50hr a week low skill worker to own their home.
Multiply that by 200,000 in B'more alone. What about all the other old industrial towns?
Show us a politician who can achieve that and you'll really have something.
But anyrhing short of the mark is just spittin' in the wind.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:25 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Nope. If anything that's last; the result of the other effort will have that come along for the ride with that success.
And landlords? What world do you live in?

Want a solution? The sort of jobs would allow a 40-50hr a week low skill worker to own their home.
Multiply that by 200,000 in B'more alone. What about all the other old industrial towns?
Show us a politician who can achieve that and you'll really have something.
But anyrhing short of the mark is just spittin' in the wind.
In my experience, when you (the government) start costing landlords money and tying them up in Court while their lawyer's clocks are ticking, they'll eventually come around. As it is, in many cities there's an air of lethargy that infects the bureaucracy from top to bottom.

I can't stand Martin O'Malley, but I will give him credit for starting to get Baltimore on a positive road when he was Mayor. He did not tolerate incompetence in his Cabinet or his staff.

Old 08-11-2023, 03:39 PM

Quote:
In my experience,...
In my experience... there is a level of the market where the LL will just abandon the whole proposition (15K atm).
And another level, half a notch above, who will be tolerated rather than causing more displaced.

Which is another important point: the distinction betw chronic homeless and the put out last week.
Both tend to be approached the same (by rules) which diminishes the 'program' effectiveness for both.

And then we have the level of LL who actually has some skin in the game to risk.
But these people (used to be one btw) don't need to be whipped into compliance.
We're doing it 'right' on our own because it works out best for us. (That self motivated thing again)
Consequently ... they don't choose to own rundown properties or HUD and S8 tenants.

Quote:
I can't stand Martin O'Malley, but I will give him credit for starting to get Baltimore on a positive road
when he was Mayor. He did not tolerate incompetence in his Cabinet or his staff.
Schaefer was like that too. And Hyman Pressman. Of course these guys operated at a time
when Glenn Beall and Mac Mathias were the 'opposition'. It was a different world.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:51 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

What was Fells like in the 2000s and the 1990s?
It was fun. It had something for everybody. Bands playing at multiple bars, Moby's if you were in the hip-hop, Shuckers was a fun spot, late night eats; long lines at BOP after the bars close. People out just having a good time. Drunk fools jumping in the Harbor, walking through the neighborhood looking at the architecture I've taken a lot of women to Fells Point...before I retired my Jersey.

Federal Hill would have been the better spot to take you Brother. My wife and I use to post up in front of the Japanese Restaurant and people watch before we moved. We may actually do that next time we go to Baltimore just for the hell of it.

Old 08-12-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It was fun. ... I've taken a lot of women to Fells Point...
I think you may have missed the point of The Point.
In the early 70's (still in High School) ...

Old 08-12-2023, 09:59 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
I think you may have missed the point of The Point.
In the early 70's (still in High School) ...
I lived and worked in downtown Baltimore in the 70's. Fells Point, on the main street, still had a Greek side and an American side. I dated (briefly) the son of the owner of one of the Greek bar/restaurants, whose enviable job was to hire the bellydancers. I also spent a LOT of time hanging out at The Horse You Rode In On bar, which was a real hippie place at the time. I still remember the unisex bathroom. There was one memorable Halloween party where a regular bar patron whose nickname was "Uncle Tommy ****-Up" showed up wearing nothing but a Speedo and a Dracula cape. The place was a hoot. However, Fells Point on the whole was really safe. You could walk around at 2 AM with no worries as long as (a) there were no Lumbee Indians out and about (there was a large number who lived close to Johns Hopkins, or (b) the Greek fleet was in on shore leave. Those guys were young and relentless when drunk.

I went shopping down at the Point for many years even after I moved out to the Golden Ghetto (Park Heights). There were many old-fashioned stores there that carried the kind of goods and furnishings that I liked. It began to get gentrified and artsy in the 90's.

Old 08-12-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I lived and worked in downtown Baltimore in the 70's. Fells Point...
The Horse You Rode In On bar... Fells Point on the whole was really safe.
You could walk around at 2 AM with no worries ...
As early as 14 I could walk into almost any place in Baltimore and be served.
Remember The Good Master Mustard Seed bar? Later became the Wolf.

I also frequented No Fish and Marble Bar among others
...all depending on where the guy with the car was going. Only 14 after all.
Quote:
It began to get gentrified and artsy in the 90's.
I started coming down again in the late 80's into the 90's. John Stevens, Wee Pete's and F<something> around the corner.
Pool and Darts more than anything else. Still a blast but the divorced dad with full time job can party only so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore