Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Baltimore more of an Internationally influential city or a Nationally influential city?
Baltimore is more of an Internationally influential city (influence/reach felt globally/around the world) 2 3.08%
Baltimore is more of a Nationally influential city (its influence is generally limited to the USA and its territories) 58 89.23%
Both / Other - please include a response 5 7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 11:55 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

There is no chance that the Baltimore Club is more popular than the Jersey Club in any way.

Its dead. And it never achieved the level of popularity as the NJ Club anyway.

Baltimore has a distinct culture and international notoriety. Its level of cultural influence is pretty mute outside of the hood/inner city subculture. But Nancy Pelosi and Micahel Phelps do count for something, as does the Afro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2024, 05:41 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Just going by the question asked - relative to the city itself. It's certainly more nationally influential vs. internationally influential.

While its economy is around top 20 nationally - it's top 60 internationally.

However, one would need to define what they mean by "influence" in this case. Baltimore has a bigger economy than Orlando, Florida. But I would say that Orlando has more of a cultural influence in the US thanks to a certain rodent. So it really depends on the criteria.

Yes - it has history, it's home to one of the top Universities in the nation (even the world), it's got some great sports teams and even a known talent pool for basketball recruits. Baltimore is the field HQ for a lot of Federal agencies (FBI, ICE, etc.) in the region, and people not from the region often mistake it for Maryland's capital. But let's face it - most people don't plan summer trips with Baltimore as their main destination (unless they have relatives in the area). They may add it to the itinerary if they're going to DC/Philadelphia/NYC, etc.

Having grown up and lived in MD most of my life (MoCo and HoCo) - I do feel Baltimore has a bit of a "little brother" complex.

Old 01-25-2024, 10:47 AM

844 posts, read 2,829,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
History: Edgar Allen Poe (world renowned famous writer and poet), national capital of the USA during the Revolutionary War,

I don't know anyone today who reads Edgar Allan Poe. And he lived in Richmond, Charlottesville, Philadelphia, and Bronx, as much or more than he did Baltimore. Richmond actually has his house as a museum.

N.Y.C. and Annapolis were national capitals briefly. I never heard of Baltimore being that - if it was, it's never mentioned by anyone.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:29 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
I don't know anyone today who reads Edgar Allan Poe. And he lived in Richmond, Charlottesville, Philadelphia, and Bronx, as much or more than he did Baltimore. Richmond actually has his house as a museum.

N.Y.C. and Annapolis were national capitals briefly. I never heard of Baltimore being that - if it was, it's never mentioned by anyone.
Touche........but come on, how many people here have ready Mary Shelly's Frankenstein? I bet we still all know the Hollywood version just the same. Same with Poe. Most educated people would at least be able to spout out "Nevermore!" or understand an allusion to a heart beating under a wooden floor. The last time I read Poe, was watching The Simpson's Tree House of Horror where Bart was the Raven and Homer was the speaker. I think that counts, right?

Old 01-25-2024, 03:38 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:

Poe is still required reading, at least a couple stories, in middle school. Some of that transfers over to American Lit in high school.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:03 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Yup...Poe was mandatory reading in JR/SR HS.

He also had a deep connection to Baltimore.

https://www.poeinbaltimore.org/exper...-in-baltimore/
Quote:
Although Richmond is the place Poe most considered home, Baltimore defines the beginning and the end of his life. Born while his parents, both actors, were traveling in Boston, his family roots were firmly set in the soil of Baltimore and here his mortal remains rest for eternity. His great-grandfather, John Poe, established the Poe clan in Baltimore in 1755, only a year before his death. Poe’s grandparents, David and Elizabeth Cairnes Poe, raised seven children and achieved here a place of prominence if not wealth through patriotism, hard work and community service.
Two members of the Poe family served as State of MD Attorney General:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Prentiss_Poe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_...Prentiss%20Poe.

The latter was one the 6 Poe brothers, Princeton University football players:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe_brothers

https://pr.princeton.edu/pwb/03/1013/2n.shtml

Old 01-26-2024, 03:54 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Edgar Alan Poe died in Baltimore. He's always been associated with the city for that alone.

But if you want to play "that" game... Modern shock trauma treatment exists because of Baltimore. As does our national anthem. As is our nations railroads system. Or the first Washington Monument. Or all those fancy pictures taken by the Hubble Space & James Webb Telescopes.

Quote:
Baltimore was the second US Capital after Philly when the Second Continental Congress wash held in 1777

The city was quintessential in the creation of our nation and has had far reaching influences that are present to this day.

Old 01-28-2024, 04:26 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times
Don't forget that (until fairly recently) Baltimore was one of the nations premier cities, as it had always been in the top 10 in terms of population, and often in the top 5 for much of that time as well. The first railroad and national road linked Baltimore to the vast empty interior, which in turn helped to build and grow the nation that we see today. There is a reason why many small towns within 100 miles of the city have some sort of 'Baltimore Street' or 'Baltimore Avenue', signing their main roads through town.

And being second to New York in immigration numbers in the early 1900's, is also quite noteworthy.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:07 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Don't forget that (until fairly recently) Baltimore was one of the nations premier cities, as it had always been in the top 10 in terms of population, and often in the top 5 for much of that time as well. The first railroad and national road linked Baltimore to the vast empty interior, which in turn helped to build and grow the nation that we see today. There is a reason why many small towns within 100 miles of the city have some sort of 'Baltimore Street' or 'Baltimore Avenue', signing their main roads through town.

And being second to New York in immigration numbers in the early 1900's, is also quite noteworthy.
Not that population size particularly matters, but I wonder what the city's pop would look like if it had been able to annex land over the past 100+ years. At 80 miles squared, Baltimore's land area is tiny compared to all of the most populous cities in the US.

Baltimore (and DC, for that matter) are far, far more dense than the Sun Belt "cities" that now dominate the top 10. Heck, even our unincorporated suburbs like Towson and Columbia are more dense than Phoenix, Austin, San Antonio, etc.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:37 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Not that population size particularly matters, but I wonder what the city's pop would look like if it had been able to annex land over the past 100+ years. At 80 miles squared, Baltimore's land area is tiny compared to all of the most populous cities in the US.

Baltimore (and DC, for that matter) are far, far more dense than the Sun Belt "cities" that now dominate the top 10. Heck, even our unincorporated suburbs like Towson and Columbia are more dense than Phoenix, Austin, San Antonio, etc.
Maybe, but that's not how Maryland is set up. In fact, the Legislature made it even harder for a municipality to annex adjacent unincorporated land several years ago. At the same time it also added in more hoops to jump through to incorporate (which, quite honestly, several places across the State should do. We had one huge private community go through that and when it got to the County Commissioners for approval it's now sat for seven years pending "study").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore