Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:46 AM

103 posts, read 534,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudy_d View Post
but not my cup of tea. It's relatively close to Mt. Washington, but you'd have to drive to get to anything outside of your apartment complex..
no offense, but youll have to be a little more specific than that. I don't know exactly what your cup is made out of and doesnt like. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 08:56 AM

1,973 posts, read 6,808,058 times
This thread is interesting but kind of aimless. Let's remember that this guy's limit is $1,000 a month. We can argue about The Carlyle and others but that ain't gonna get him in.
I have no idea as to what's happening to rentals, but if this story is any indication desirable ones are going up:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/21/us...hp&oref=slogin

Old 06-21-2008, 09:08 AM

around 1000 doesn't exactly mean 1000 on the dot. If the apt rocks and has a lot of safety and other features, I would consider 1200-1300+

and FYI, most of those dots on the map are in my range. ....

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-21-2008 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Uncalled for.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:54 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
David-For 12-1300, you may want to opt for renting a home in Canton, Patterson Park or other safe city neighborhood. Try rentals.com
With few buyers, there are some deals out there for homes in nice areas. I would consider that option. Sometimes, it's better to rent in an area where there are a lot of home owners vs. renters. Plus, with a year-lease, if you don't like it, by that time you would have gotten to know the city well enough to make a better decision.
Just my two cents on it.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:14 PM

i have been looking, and if you nitice on the map, there are some blue dots... which are those stacked homes.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:46 AM

757 posts, read 2,554,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSKi View Post
no offense, but youll have to be a little more specific than that. I don't know exactly what your cup is made out of and doesnt like. lol
I simply mean that I prefer a more urban environment with shops and restaurants within walking distance.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM

91 posts, read 428,546 times
I would avoid the high rises and complexes if you are thinking of moving to the city. I recently was looking for a new apartment and I found a nice one on the 3100 block of N. Calvert street for $795. It's the whole 1st floor of a row house and plenty of space. I can also walk to a string of bars, a grocery, and plenty of restaurants one to two blocks away. Definitely hit craigslist and look for smaller landlords who rent out divided-up townhouses/rowhouses. You can get great deals on big places.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:06 AM

113 posts, read 337,220 times
To the OP,
the tax system in PA isn't that complicated. I live in philly and the thing is philly has city wage tax. I live in the city so i pay about 4.50% or a little more. If you live outside the city but work in the city of philadelphia, it's a little under 4%. Yes, it's the one thing i have about living and working here cuz i don't know where the money goes. I live downtown and i see the streets being cleaned but it's still dirty.

Otherwise, if you live and work outside philadelphia, you should only be paying federal and state income taxes.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:53 AM

68 posts, read 271,535 times
I rent a large 1 BR with balcony in Parkville for $700/month +utilities (which are less than $100 a month). It's a safe area with plenty of street and off-street parking. None of my neighbors have ever had a problem that I'm aware of. Send me a PM and I can give you a couple ideas if you're still looking.

Last year, I called several places in Baltimore County. I spoke to numerous apt communities that were charging $800 and up in Lutherville and Timonium.

Dundalk is a little sketchy in areas, but you could find places for $600 something a month down there.

Last edited by 7th generation; 06-27-2008 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Please, no personal attacks.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM

485 posts, read 1,953,142 times
That's interesting, and encouraging.

I rather want to return to Baltimore, after my Mother is gone, and my Social Security has kicked in.

Lutherville and Timonium are served by the Light Rail-of which I cannot find any real complaint, best mass transit to date in the area(now that they fixed the ticket machines)and that would be good for me, as I have to go the VA on Greene Street frequently.

I have some hard words for the City, and think they're justified, but I still love the old girl, and hope she'll get her act together-people, stop enabling, demand competent administration!

Baltimore can benefit from rebuilding-everything will be new-if the grandiose and hare-brained schemes of the past are not repeated.

I looked at those drawings in the report on the urban planning of the '60's, knew horror, and fled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore